Any opinions on the Wadia 27ix?
May 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jarmel

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at the 27ix in comparison the Bel Canto Dac3 and was wondering if there was a large difference between the two. Thanks for any help.

May 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 7
The Wadia 27ix is, without question, the finest DAC I've heard. I've not heard the Bel Canto Dac3, but I suspect it's good...I've heard the DAC1 and DAC2. I suspect that there is a very large difference between the two, but "very large" is a relative term at that end of the market.

As a disclaimer, I have Wadia gear myself...though nothing so up-market as the 27ix. I like it a lot. I also know most of the folks over there pretty well (I work 10 minutes from their office). Having said all that, I am a fan of the Wadia house sound. They are also constructed like what one might expect of Armani tanks. Oh, and in a pinch, you can use your Wadia (with its digital volume control) as a more than passable balanced headphone amp.

My advice is to get the Wadia. You'll ultimately be glad that you did IMHO.

May 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Not at all...what this person MIGHT be hearing (or not hearing as it were) is harshness in the upper end that is common to many digital sources. The Wadia doesn't have that at all, but under NO circumstances would I describe their highs as rolled off.

May 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes you would have to send it to Wadia, or to an authorized dealer (who may or may not do the upgrades themselves).

I just sent one of my 830's in for the digital input and power supply upgrades. It took a little over a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back