1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Any opinions on the Wadia 27ix?

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by jarmel, May 30, 2009.
  1. Jarmel
    I was looking at the 27ix in comparison the Bel Canto Dac3 and was wondering if there was a large difference between the two. Thanks for any help.

2. elrod-tom
    The Wadia 27ix is, without question, the finest DAC I've heard. I've not heard the Bel Canto Dac3, but I suspect it's good...I've heard the DAC1 and DAC2. I suspect that there is a very large difference between the two, but "very large" is a relative term at that end of the market.

As a disclaimer, I have Wadia gear myself...though nothing so up-market as the 27ix. I like it a lot. I also know most of the folks over there pretty well (I work 10 minutes from their office). Having said all that, I am a fan of the Wadia house sound. They are also constructed like what one might expect of Armani tanks. Oh, and in a pinch, you can use your Wadia (with its digital volume control) as a more than passable balanced headphone amp.

My advice is to get the Wadia. You'll ultimately be glad that you did IMHO.

3. Jarmel
    Thanks for the help.

Someone described the Wadia 27ix as being rolled off in the highs and I was wondering if that was true.

4. elrod-tom
    Not at all...what this person MIGHT be hearing (or not hearing as it were) is harshness in the upper end that is common to many digital sources. The Wadia doesn't have that at all, but under NO circumstances would I describe their highs as rolled off.

5. Jarmel
    The one I'm looking at is a 27 and I was wondering how I would go about getting that upgraded to the 27ix. Would I have to send it in to Wadia?

6. elrod-tom
    Yes you would have to send it to Wadia, or to an authorized dealer (who may or may not do the upgrades themselves).

I just sent one of my 830's in for the digital input and power supply upgrades. It took a little over a week.

7. Jarmel
    Do you have any experience with just the Wadia 27 then? As it seems I'm going to pick that up for around 3k.