Any opinions on Pioneer SE-MS5T headphones?

1. ksio89
    Does anyone here own these headphones? If so, how do they sound and how is the comfort? They have good specs on theory, look great, sturdy and are on sale in my country and have generally good reviews, with comfort and a balanced sound being particularly praised. I also appreciate phones with a more or less flat signature, not being to boomy and not too bright as well.

I already have a Philips SHL3300 with custom pleather earpads, and though they sound incredible for the price, they clamp too hard onto my ears, making it very uncomfortable after a while, as well as making my ears sweat a lot. Besides, the cable has started crumbling in multiple places, being fixed with tons of electric and silver tapes, so I'm looking for a replacement pair of cans.

Comfort is a very important aspect for me, because I use headphones mostly to watch movies and listen to music for extended periods, like two hours straight. FWIW, I use a FiiO K1 USB DAC. They look a good deal, but I'm still a bit unsure, so I'm asking the pros of Head-Fi for opinions before grabbing them.

[​IMG]

specs:
    • Headphone Type: Fully Enclosed Dynamic Headphones
    • Frequency Response: 9 Hz ~ 40,000 Hz
    • Impedance: 32 ohms
    • Maximum Input Power: 1,000 mW
    • Sensitivity: 105 dB
    • Driver Units Diameter: 40 mm
    • Cable Length: Single-side cable 47.24 inches (1.2 m)
    • Weight: 0.64 lbs (without cord)
    Another question: my Philips headphones have 108 db, 2,200 mW and the same 32 ohms. Do you think the Pioneer ones will sound much lower when plugged to devices like smartphones, TVs or PC/laptop motherboards with low-end onboard audio DACs? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. PETEBULL
    Got them for as low as $25 (!) at a liquidation sale. Fell in love with the crispiness of their sound. Haven't tested them thoroughly yet but the beginning is very promising. All I can say yet they are better than Senn HD 2.20S and HD 25.

trellus likes this.
  3. trellus
    I've heard their wireless variant of these which I suspect have the same sound signature and I agree with @PETEBULL on the crispness of the sound, and I give them high marks for comfort, too, but if you're coming from the Philips SHL3300, these Pioneer may come off to you as bass-lite.