Any one know of good 4.1 multimedia speaker
Oct 3, 2002 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Azumandus

Head-Fier
Well I've brought myself a playstation2 not because of the games but mostly because of it's great versatility, in playing music, dvd, etc. Well now am in the shop for some good 4.1 speakers for them. Am willing to pay up to 200 dollars at most. Now even though I want these speakers to sound good in games I also want them to sound great in music, especially classical music since that's what I tend to listen to most beside jazz, and a little rock. So does anyone have any ideas. I just want something that good for gaming, music, and dvds. Thanks guys.

Oct 3, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 8
You'll be putting this in your TV room right? Instead of buying some plastic speaker system designed for computers get a used receiver that can handle 5.1 and has optical in. Buy two half-decent speakers for the front and worry about the center, rear and sub when you can afford them. You don't get surround sound immediately but you'll build something you can keep instead of getting something you'll want to replace. If you get a receiver with the right inputs you can use it for TV, FM radio, PS2 and any other source you might have.

I have never heard a 4.1/5.1 system designed for computers that was worth having. I don't believe they exist. When compared to real speakers they all fall way short, and that includes Klipsch, Creative, Yamaha and anything else out there.

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Well let's see, the speakers are actually for my room which is about 20x18. As for budget it's not great to be honest maybe 300 dollars to start. Am willing to begin a system..but to be honest my t.v is a piece of old crap to does that matter. Aeberbach I like your idea also....but I don't know how to begin because I don't know squat about speaker, so if you have any ideas go ahead. As for plastic speaker I know their crap but I did see to good reviews for the polk audio atr -150 and the logetich z-560. But give me idea about receiver etc and what's the price range for a decent one...as aposed to a really good one.I

Oct 4, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 8
A really good receiver costs a lot! A good enough receiver should be possible to get for about $100 used. There are just so many made it's impossible to recommend a brand or model but the main things to look for are 5.1 capable, dts/dolby decoding and optical input (for the playstation). Most important is optical input. You probably want to run the PS2 and TV in there immediately. Your TV might be old but a couple of larger speakers will make it sound better.

Here's a TEAC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1384520387

And a Yamaha:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1384703737

I have Paradigm "Mini Monitor" speakers on my desk. If you could find a pair of those used they would be OK for your front pair. Speakers don't need to be big, especially in a home theater setup. In fact the biggest speaker after the sub in my system is the centre channel, where most of the sound seems to come from in a lot of movies. Finding a full 5.1 kit anywhere for $2-300 that isn't plastic junk is going to be hard. I don't know where you would start.

Most receivers will allow you to select what speakers you have connected and compensate for any missing pairs/channels accordingly. This is why I think you will be OK with stereo to start with and you can add rear speakers later (dolby pro logic) and then centre and sub as you have the funds, or find affordable speakers.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 8
For what it's worth, I have 4 Yamaha NS-A327 satellite speakers that came with my home theater that are just collecting dust. If these would interest you, PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back