Any One into Custom Watches?
Jun 23, 2020 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PDT1137

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all!

I have found that many people into HiFi Audio are also into watches, in some way or another...
I know I am anyway...
Recently, I started building some of my own pieces and am expanding to making builds for others as well.

So somewhat of a shameless plug here...
Here are a few I've done so far, with more in the works to be revealed soon. (IG @thepdwatchproject)

IMG_20200414_142312_MP.jpgIMG_20200528_151324_MP.jpg

These are based on the Seiko SKX platforms...

I'd certainly welcome any feedback or requests for builds!
I'm in the metro-Detroit MI area...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm just getting into the SKX game and am having my first watch built by a guy that works for me. I'll keep you in mind for future builds (my guy is too slow!!). Here's a pic mid-build. I may do a "root beer" one later this year.

Best of luck with your efforts. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

MrMarc.
IMG_2696.JPG

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm just getting into the SKX game and am having my first watch built by a guy that works for me. I'll keep you in mind for future builds (my guy is too slow!!). Here's a pic mid-build. I may do a "root beer" one later this year.

Best of luck with your efforts. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

MrMarc.
IMG_2696.JPG

Hello, and welcome to the SKX world!
I would definitely appreciate the chance to build something together!
I don't know if you ventured over to Instagram to check out the rest of the builds, so here are a few more I've done (with 2 or 3 more in the pipeline):

MVIMG_20200701_144158.jpg

MVIMG_20200810_225222.jpg

MVIMG_20200902_225516.jpg

Cheers!

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Good luck - always fun to experiment. At the higher end of the market, I've always been fascinated with Ochs und Junior and their customisation options.....https://www.ochsundjunior.swiss/

Jan 4, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 9
My experiments usually don't go further than metal engraving, but I really like the examples you showed here. The problem is that I admire individual watches I see on other people. It happens that a person's accessory can tell a lot about him if it's customized to order. But I haven't decided yet what design could tell something about me. I can't even decide if I want a mono-design watch or if it should be something bright or eclectic. Recently I had the idea to look at the pawned watches, like here https://www.newbondstreetpawnbrokers.com/loans-against-fine-watches-2/. I'm sure I could find something interesting there that could inspire me. How do you choose your design?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 9
I love total black watches. There is a fine line here to make it stylish and not boring, and I see great examples in your photos.
Thanks! I've grown a bit since the initial posting, actually starting my own "brand." Using quotes since it's still just me, but hey there's a website and product so that counts right?
I have done more one-offs on the side, but have started doing small releases, the first of which completed mid last year.
I have a second iteration coming out in the next weeks, smaller release than the first - only 25.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 9
My experiments usually don't go further than metal engraving, but I really like the examples you showed here. The problem is that I admire individual watches I see on other people. It happens that a person's accessory can tell a lot about him if it's customized to order. But I haven't decided yet what design could tell something about me. I can't even decide if I want a mono-design watch or if it should be something bright or eclectic. Recently I had the idea to look at the pawned watches, like here https://www.newbondstreetpawnbrokers.com/loans-against-fine-watches-2/. I'm sure I could find something interesting there that could inspire me. How do you choose your design?

Thanks! A lot of the designs just pop into my head, or I'll see something in passing and think 'Ah, I could do something similar but with these other bits instead."
Very interestin that website - I've pulled some ideas from some of those high end brands, including my first "in-house" design, the Titan https://www.pdubewatchworks.com/product-page/project-x

There are a couple other variants of that I am working on, the GMT and the Diver...

Coming up, though, is a day / date release of the Tac/SAR.

Cheers!

Jul 30, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Hello all!

I have found that many people into HiFi Audio are also into watches, in some way or another...
I know I am anyway...
Recently, I started building some of my own pieces and am expanding to making builds for others as well.

So somewhat of a shameless plug here...
Here are a few I've done so far, with more in the works to be revealed soon. (IG @thepdwatchproject)

These are based on the Seiko SKX platforms...

I'd certainly welcome any feedback or requests for builds!
I'm in the metro-Detroit MI area...

Thanks!
This watch looks amazing! Can I ask you where did you order that watch?
From my experience luxiry watch shop Mio has the largest choice of decent brands and models.
I am looking forward to order one for my wife's jubilee at the end of the month.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back