Any one here try a Lite DAC-60 (unmodded and or modded)?
Mar 20, 2006 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TigzStudio

Member of the Trade: Norne Audio
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=26538

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...t=dodd&start=0

I been waiting for more impressions, GR Research offers a sonic craft modded version that many audiophiles at audiocircle.com are getting quite interested in.

http://www.gr-research.com/components/lite_dacs.htm

http://eshop.diyclub.biz/product_inf...roducts_id=335

knowing how much the dac-ah was loved, dac-60 w/ mods might be a contender.

dac-72-1.jpg

dacfront.jpg

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 7
The only thing they make i have an interest in is the CD-15 24/192 cd player.But no one seems to have purchased this.

I really don't care for dacs with a built in tube circiut.Having a tube amp-- is all the tubes i want in my system.I have heard good things about this dac though.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Well general opinion is that this is excellent dac. I am not sure if those mods really make it even better i guess they do
smily_headphones1.gif
Its mostly discussed on other forums.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 7
Bump....

I'm surprised there aren't more head-fiers that have given the DAC-60 a whirl. It seems like it gets disproportionately less attention on this forum than on others. The big comparison I'd be interested in, is the Storm DAC vs. the modded DAC-60, since they seem to be comparable in price.

Any reason why it doesn't get much attention here? I kind of wonder whether it would sound like the benchmark, from some of the decriptions I've read elsewhere- although it does seem to be reviewed as more musical...so who knows.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 7
There have been accounts on the Slimdevices and Audiocircle forums stating that it uses PCM1704, not PCM1704U as stated (considerably more expensive). They remarked the PCM1704 with a felt marker to fake it as PCM1704U.

There needs to be a multitude of mods on the DAC-60 to bring it up to spec, which runs it up to the $700+ range - after mods it seems to be good, but not extraordinarily good.

I was one of the interested members here who wanted to buy the DAC-60, but was turned off due to a few issues. I was -this- close to pulling the trigger..

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
There have been accounts on the Slimdevices and Audiocircle forums stating that it uses PCM1704, not PCM1704U as stated (considerably more expensive). They remarked the PCM1704 with a felt marker to fake it as PCM1704U.

There needs to be a multitude of mods on the DAC-60 to bring it up to spec, which runs it up to the $700+ range - after mods it seems to be good, but not extraordinarily good.

I was one of the interested members here who wanted to buy the DAC-60, but was turned off due to a few issues. I was -this- close to pulling the trigger..

Damn, I remember reading about the controversy surrounding the PCM1704, but didn't realize that had been the outcome of it. Even ordering through gr-research? I figured maybe the ones that were getting modded were safe bets, for whatever reason...and maybe it was the ones going on Ebay that were suspicious.

I also think I initially got caught into misunderstanding the actual price of the modded DAC. When you go to gr-research, the last picture in the item description is of a modded DAC-60, and through association, I think I assumed that the price of the modded DAC was the one listed. You're right, you add the extra cost for the mods, and then it's definitely into a different price strata, as far as expense.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
Damn, I remember reading about the controversy surrounding the PCM1704, but didn't realize that had been the outcome of it. Even ordering through gr-research? I figured maybe the ones that were getting modded were safe bets, for whatever reason...and maybe it was the ones going on Ebay that were suspicious.

I also think I initially got caught into misunderstanding the actual price of the modded DAC. When you go to gr-research, the last picture in the item description is of a modded DAC-60, and through association, I think I assumed that the price of the modded DAC was the one listed. You're right, you add the extra cost for the mods, and then it's definitely into a different price strata, as far as expense.

Well.. the thing is, the only difference physically from a PCM1704 and PCM1704U is one little mark with a felt pen.. so it's hard to say..

But it's been noted that they're fakes on many occasions..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back