Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
May 17, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #616 of 828
I’ve been around here since April 2003. Since the stay at home order, I’ve been posting more often. In the last 17 years, I’ve only posted 1343 times, but about 500 of them were posted in the last 5 weeks. :darthsmile:

May 21, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #617 of 828
I've only "officially" been a member since 2011, but I definitely lurked as far back as 2005 (I graduated high school in 2004). Didn't think my obligatory Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers would be appropriate for a dorm use, so I started looking into quality headphones. My first journey lurking here led me to the Sennheiser HD-590 as my first "real" headphones, since they were said to not need an amp. Man...they seemed pretty awesome at the time though. 15 years and a lot of gear later, I'm back to the HD-650. Go figure.

I used to have a lot of shyness about posting in a public forum back then, but I finally bit the bullet to attend a meet. I've been to several since then and even helped organize one several years ago.

May 29, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #618 of 828
Jul 26, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #619 of 828
I'm mostly an active lurker. Joined way back in 03 and was looking for reviews of the DT 831s. That was my first big headphone purchase. Ironically I still use them today. Love em, and I think they are better than the 770. Tried to sell a few times but it's super unpopular headphone now.
Over the years I had the Sens HD580s. When the drivers blew on those I started a slow conversion process to an HD 650. Now there are no original components of the 580 left. Through my time I've collected K702s, K271 studios, all made in Germany. Bought a few amps over time.

Always looking for some huge gain but the laws of diminishing returns under the 500 price point have been met.
Each headphone is unique and there is a place for my DT880s, my Grados. Also just purchased last week Etyomoic Er4XR. They sound like a small upgrade over my EtYs HF5, hence the law of diminishing returns.

Still loving the hobby through!

I've

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #621 of 828
How dare you call me old!

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #622 of 828
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #623 of 828
well, I escaped for another 4yrs since my last post... then last week on YouTube I was "recommended" a curowong video... annnnnd I order a a new amp and dac and 2 pairs of headphones.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #625 of 828
well, I escaped for another 4yrs since my last post... then last week on YouTube I was "recommended" a curowong video... annnnnd I order a a new amp and dac and 2 pairs of headphones.

Share the details of what you ordered then bud! We're still interested even though we're old farts!

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #626 of 828
Share the details of what you ordered then bud! We're still interested even though we're old farts!

LOL, certainly!

I've been using a Chord Mojo and a pair of JH Audio Roxannes for the past 4+ years, and have been very content.

Back in the day, I really enjoyed my HD580's with a Stefan AudioArt Equinox cable... So I was happy to see that drop.com had resurrected the 58x. I order a 58x and a 6xx (just for good measure). Since my Mojo has been acting up (powering off randomly), and now working at home full time since covid... I spent about 30hrs researching what kind of desktop rig I might be interested in. I settled on Schiit Bifrost2 and Asgard3 (in black), so those will be delivered tomorrow. (I added a Loki out of pure curiosity). I also plan to pickup a Darkvoice 336 once Drop offers it again.

It was an expensive weekend!

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #627 of 828
Welcome back to the fun and games @markkr :)

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #628 of 828
LOL, certainly!

I've been using a Chord Mojo and a pair of JH Audio Roxannes for the past 4+ years, and have been very content.

Back in the day, I really enjoyed my HD580's with a Stefan AudioArt Equinox cable... So I was happy to see that drop.com had resurrected the 58x. I order a 58x and a 6xx (just for good measure). Since my Mojo has been acting up (powering off randomly), and now working at home full time since covid... I spent about 30hrs researching what kind of desktop rig I might be interested in. I settled on Schiit Bifrost2 and Asgard3 (in black), so those will be delivered tomorrow. (I added a Loki out of pure curiosity). I also plan to pickup a Darkvoice 336 once Drop offers it again.

It was an expensive weekend!

Now that definitely sounds fun! :) Grats on everything and sorry about your wallet :p

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #630 of 828
I bet you enjoy the Asgard and I am curious about how the Bifrost would sound versus the Multi bit card which is what I did.

It all arrived about an hour ago... I'm still waiting on cables from BlueJeans so I'm currently rocking the freebies from random DVD players over the years. About 5yrs ago, I sold nearly everything... even my cables (that was a mistake I wont repeat)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back