Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Dec 28, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #451 of 828
  I just don't think there are that much advancement in term of amplification the last few years.  The GS-1 with the new dynalo plus module is considerably more refined than the Liquid Carbon.  It isn't surprising obviously given the GS-1 has better parts, layouts, circuit, as well as the PSU.  I do enjoy the form factor of the Liquid Carbon however.  I also own the old Headroom Balanced Home with Max Module and that amp still compete with anything solidstate amp up to $2500-3000 range of today.  Amp wise, I think the technology has already mature.  Then again, both Headroom & Headamp have been in business for over a decade now.  So experience does matter in this case.

Pretty interesting that old Headroom is still near state of the art. I've always thought all it takes it a good set of ears and the right engineer who loves music.

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #452 of 828
  Pretty interesting that old Headroom is still near state of the art. I've always thought all it takes it a good set of ears and the right engineer who loves music.

Hi Brad,

Not just all Headroom gears  but their very best such as the Max Balanced or Balanced Home  w/ Max module are still very highly regarded even compared to the Liquid Gold or GS-X MKII.  Their last offerings before going with the "desktop" movement were really state of the art and it still hold true today.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #453 of 828
John Grado called me today to give me some bad news Ken (Highwaystar) passed away
monday at age 54.
Ken helped me organize the first NY meet at grado labs,& origanized the next 2 in 2002-2004 I co organized.
Ken hasn't been active on Head-fi for a number of years.

RIP KEN .

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #454 of 828
John Grado called me today to give me some bad news Ken (Highwaystar) passed away
monday at age 54.
Ken helped me organize the first NY meet at grado labs,& origanized the next 2 in 2002-2004 I co organized.

RIP KEN .

Thanks for letting us know Tom. RIP Ken.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #456 of 828
Hi again guys :) I was 20 when I first joined, now with one Head-fi related job after another it feels like I will continue to be active here my whole life! Imagine the stories I'll tell when I'm a real old fart both in real life years and head-fi years... :p But damn, I need to hone my long term memory since I've never been good at telling stories about my ancient past...

(And knocking on wood, I don't want to jinx this >< )

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 6, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #457 of 828
...........Young whippersnapper......   
L3000.gif

I have hemhorroids older than you.........
blink.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #458 of 828
monday at age 54.

RIP KEN .

Wow, that's awful news. I used to talk to Ken on a daily basis back in the day. I often wondered how he was doing. Thanks for letting us know. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #460 of 828
I joined in 2002, as well. I'm approaching my 15th year here.   

A lot has happened in my life, since I joined.  If I knew then what I know now, my life would have been very, very different.

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #461 of 828
many years already, Actually I think I used a username before I changed to coolcat,so I should have been lurking around for almost 10 years already

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #463 of 828
Sorry to hear that news a month too late Bozebuttons. Those NYC meets were always fun back when I didn't have a bum ear. RIP Ken.

And yea head-fi is older than both my kids, and my oldest is reading up on the high school exam! Crazy, I remember when Mr.Slacker was a high school kid who came to head fi mini meets to play guitar hero on audiophile equipment, ha!

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #465 of 828
What is interesting to me as an old fart, is where we've come from, to where we are...

Imagine going back to 2001, or whenever you joined, with the knowledge of what was to come...

Back then I had a huge Discman collection, and a penchant for old school (even back then, so prehistoric now) CD players...

Still have an original (circa 1983) Yamaha player stored away, it's funny the account of ICs it has on the many PCBs under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back