Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Nov 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #31 of 828
I wish I could've seen the old headfi but i 2001 I would've been in like 1st grade lol..I'm really loving the headfi of now though..been lurking for a year before I officially joined..Glad I did
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #32 of 828
I think Uncle Erik pretty much confirmed my speculation with the member demographics.   Based on the thread postings character in terms of  language, structure, humor, and word substitutions that are used, I do get a sense of the younger crowd.  I'm middle aged, and I wonder if most of the "old farts" are middle aged or close to it. 

I've read and witnessed some clashing on threads and see a loss of respect towards senior members.  I'm not sure if this is the true reason why the most prolific poster left this site.  Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive again.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #34 of 828

Quote:

Quote:
 I'm not sure if this is the true reason why the most prolific poster left this site.  Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive again.

He found the site dificult to navigate, and post 3 word posts 120 times a day on.

[example]I think hes right.[/example]

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #35 of 828
Hmmm. I would have liked to seen the old Head Fi. Alas is my fate in life to always be of the age that I simply miss such things. A pity.

I do hope we can have the new generation grow up to be worth being around. I doubt I have much anywhere else to go so, I shall stay and see.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #36 of 828
I think most of the old members pop up now and again. Amazing to see JahJahbinks and Pigmode in the same thread today!

But I see alot of familiar names chiming in every now and then. No Tuberoller, sadly, but you can't have it all.

The old days? Well there used to be things like people passing around amps and headphones, always a giveaway, and the excitement when a new vendor like, say, Headroom, popped up! I still remember the days when most of what we talked about were portable CD players!

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #37 of 828

Quote:
I still remember the days when most of what we talked about were portable CD players!

Yes!  Remember when the Optimus 3400 was the HE-90 of its day?  That's actually how I was introduced to Head-fi.  When Silicon Salvage was selling those NOS D-25S players. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #38 of 828
I stagger in and out of Head-Fi, currently just bored and not really into the hobby all that much.

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #41 of 828

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
 I'm not sure if this is the true reason why the most prolific poster left this site.  Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive again.

He found the site dificult to navigate, and post 3 word posts 120 times a day on.

[example]I think hes right.[/example]

Touche, good sir. Although I think the language barrier may have been a bit of a contributing factor to that.

In fairness, your example was 4 words as well. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #42 of 828

Hmmm. I would have liked to seen the old Head Fi. Alas is my fate in life to always be of the age that I simply miss such things. A pity.

I do hope we can have the new generation grow up to be worth being around. I doubt I have much anywhere else to go so, I shall stay and see.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Today, there are many more products available and a lot more vendors. There wasn't anywhere as much selection five years ago. Consumers are much better off today.

The community will continue to grow - the young ones will get older and the discussions will get deeper. I just hope that there will continue to be a stream of new members coming in.

Another cool thing is that there's going to be a ton of great used gear in another five to ten years. One thing about traditional audiophilia is that you are able to go back through a solid 40-50 years of used stuff, some of it very inexpensive.

The headphone world has barely ten years of gear to go back through. Sooner or later, newcomers will be able to pick up real bargains and the cost of entry will go down. Hopefully, that will bring in more people.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #43 of 828
Agree with Uncle E. There are products on the market today that are much more refined, and with a wider selection than a few years ago. There are many astute discussions going on that help broaden the understanding of audio products, and audio in general.

Great to see chadbang. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #44 of 828

Well, I don't know if I would call myself an old-fart Head-Fi'er :wink: , but technically I joined in Dec. 2001, and have been very, very slowly working my way up to 1000 posts.  I was very active in the beginning, but then lurked for a few years, while head-fi was in it's flame-bait stage, and returned a couple of years ago after that stage had passed, and post here and there when I have something to add to the conversation.  I'm actually quite fond of the recent changes that Head-Fi has gone through, though I do agree that it isn't as close as it once was.  Although looking back at some of my old posts when I first joined, I'm glad that I lurked around for a while afterward, and rejoined the conversations when my ears and my personality were much more mature.  Anyway, it's great to see that there still are people remaining from Head-Fi's earlier years, and I too give Jude a huge round of applause for guiding the forum so well through Head-Fi's huge growing process.  As a resource especially, Head-Fi has become a huge presence, one that I am glad to see still around.

--Eric

Eric,

Glad to see you are still around. I feel pretty much the same way. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #45 of 828
Join date of February 2002 over here, and I've been active ever since. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back