Any of you try anime OST's?
Oct 19, 2006 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got hold of Evangelion 10th Anniversary album, and the Cruel Angel's Thesis in the album sounds just awesome. They managed to jazz it up very well, although the original is nowhere near the genre of jazz. So I was wondering if anyone found any OST albums unexpectedly good.

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 36
Never anime because I don't actually know anything about anime or the accompanying music.

I have a few videogame OSTs though. Vagrant Story and Xenogears are very excellent. Some of the most relaxing music I have.

Oct 19, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 36
somewhere in my closet are all the different "Fly me to the Moon" outros from Eva. plus some remixes and a "live" version. i'll have to find it again, there are 20+ tracks on that thing total, hehe.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 36
I wouldn't actively seek it out, but I like Noir OST1, .hack//sign very much.

I haven't really come across any game soundtrack that I would consider worth buying.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 36
For Game OST's i bought the Final Fantasy 7 4 Disc collection + piano music.
Its not super or anything but I'm a FF7 fanboy so I like it a lot.

As for Anime OST's most of them have only a few good tracks out of like 20 so most dont warrant a purchase. The ones that I've gotten and am satisfied with are Cowboy Bebop OST 1-3 and Samurai Champloo: Departure, Impression, Masta, and Playlist.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 36
I like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Cowboy Bebop soundtracks (both by Yoko Kanno). Final Fantasy VII OST is a great game soundtrack (Nobuo Uematsu).

edit: oh yeah almost forgot all four Silent Hill soundtracks are great (Akira Yamaoka)

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta
The ones that I've gotten and am satisfied with are Cowboy Bebop OST 1-3 and Samurai Champloo: Departure, Impression, Masta, and Playlist.

I'll also echo Yoko Kanno love for Cowboy Bebop OST 1-3. There's some fine stuff in there.

I'd also recommend:

1) Rahxephon OST 1-3
2) Haibane Renmei - Hanenone (OST)
3) Haibane Renmei - Seinaru Shoukei (Image Album)
4) Haibane Renmei - Blue Flow (Ending Single)
5) Angelic Layer OST 1-2
6) Vampire Princess Miyu TV OST
7) R.O.D the TV OST 1-2

None of these are sonic marvels, but music-wise, I dig 'em.

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 36
Anything by Yoko Kanno is automatically great. I have never heard a work by her that I didn't enjoy 100%. She can do anything; classical, techno, world music, jazz, rock, you name it, she can compose it. Literally all of her work is excellent. But the best of the best, by far, (IMO), is her work on the Turn-A Gundam series. It is perfection, especially the second OST, Diana and Kihel. Escaflowne, Earth Girl Arjuna, and Macross Plus are also pure win and awesome. There is a unifying element in all of her music though, and the only way I can describe it is as an almost organic "earthiness", if that makes any sense. It permiates nearly all of her work, even the more classical-sounding songs.

I also own many, many other Anime OSTs. Anime music as a whole is generally very high in quality. Some other OSTs I would recommend are the Noir OST (1), Gunslinger Girl OST, and the Meine Liebe OST. Another favorite that I recently discovered is the music from ARIA: The Animation. Choro Club rules!

Oct 19, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 36
A little off topic, but I like the Terminator 2 soundtrack. Its got some great stuff, and is one of the few discs I own that isn't recorded "hot". I suppose some of this music could have made it to the old videogames of the movie, dunno.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 36
Hmmm seems like I need to pick up the Noir OST.

Also I've seen R.O.D TV and I love the opening. I'm definately considering purchasing the OST.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #14 of 36
I listen too much to anime OSTs (pretty much my staple diet actually). Some of the ones I constantly enjoy are soundtracks from:
1) Air (original game songs)
2) Kanon (original game songs)
3) Aria The Animation
4) Haibane Renmei
5) Saint Seiya
6) Honey & Clover

Needless to say, anything by Yuki Kajiura rocks. That includes OST from Madlax, Mai-HiME, Mai-Otome, Noir and Tsubasa Chronicle.

Regards.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r
My favorite(s) are the two soundtracks from the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OVA's. They're called Tsuioku Hen and Seishou Sen (if I recall correctly).

Those are two of my favorites too. The Rurouni Kenshin anime OST has some pretty good tracks too, but like all anime OST they're better if you've seen the series so you have a point of reference. I especially recommend the track Departure (don't remember which CD its on).

Other anime OST that I enjoy:

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
.Hack//Sign
X
Jin Roh
Juuni Kokki
Fullmetal Alchemist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back