any new recommendations under 200$?
Jul 31, 2014 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

potatochobit

New Head-Fier
Hello
I have been around the forums for many years but this is my first time posting
I was wondering if there was anything new under 200$ I should consider?

I currently have an older model audio technica, 700s I think
I have changed out  parts and soldered in a new cable but now the main head band frame has snapped
i have bandaged it but it's kind of lop sided on one side

so I guess it's time to upgrade soon.
I see there is a new m50, is this comparable to what I have now?
I do not mind using any good brand but I would prefer a closed headphone as I work at night often.

oh, someone gave me a pair of beats headphones last Christmas
After listening to them I just don't understand what is going on in the world anymore, lol

I also got some Sony MDR earbuds, the expensive funny looking ones with a marshmallow stuck on them
wow, those were pretty good, for earbuds these are amazingly great

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 12
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home? [You have specifically mentioned your workplace.]  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones (find used on eBay and Head-Fi, $110 to $140)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Headsets-/171403940790?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item27e87893b6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Headband-Headphones-Black-used-/201136416855?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ed4aa2857

I added the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping) to my A900Xs.

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 12
ah, my fault
no professional audio mixing
work is just regular stuff, photoshop, indesign, final cut, audacity, etc.

mostly it will be hooked up to a PC sound card I have an older striker right now and may get a claro if needed
I used to run the pc through a home theater receiver first but don't do that anymore
I will bring the headphones with me when I travel for gaming on a laptop but not for work
I carry a backpack and a laptop bag so space is not an issue
I use the equalizer for everything but speech is more important than bass 

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 12
  ah, my fault
no professional audio mixing
work is just regular stuff, photoshop, indesign, final cut, audacity, etc.

mostly it will be hooked up to a PC sound card I have an older striker right now and may get a claro if needed
I used to run the pc through a home theater receiver first but don't do that anymore
I will bring the headphones with me when I travel for gaming on a laptop but not for work
I carry a backpack and a laptop bag so space is not an issue
I use the equalizer for everything but speech is more important than bass 

In that case, I'll throw in with PurpleAngel with regard to the A900X--as long as you are OK with a large can.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 12
ATH-A900X or AD900X (if you want open) are basically newer and higher end versions of your headphones, assuming you have the A700 or AD700.  Highly recommended.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 12
hi, thanx for the replies
yes, I would prefer larger over the ears

the A900X seems to be discontinued so I will keep an eye out on a deal for the used ones linked in this thread

if I buy a used pair, how should I clean the ear pads?

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 12

the A900X seems to be discontinued so I will keep an eye out on a deal for the used ones linked in this thread

They're pleather so maybe a damp cloth?  The A900X is compatible with many aftermarket pads as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660898/replacment-ear-pads-for-ath-a900x

I got my A900X for about $140 on ebay and it was new/unopened, so check there too.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 12

First I've heard that the ATH-A900Xs are discontinued.
Where did you read that?

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 12

First I've heard that the ATH-A900Xs are discontinued.
Where did you read that?

Amazon says it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Closed-Back-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B006V386UG

They don't say the same for the AD900X though.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 12

Amazon says it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Closed-Back-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B006V386UG

They don't say the same for the AD900X though.

Maybe Audio Technica will be coming out with a new revision (improved wing support) on the ATH-A900X?
Can't see AT not making it anymore.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 12

Maybe Audio Technica will be coming out with a new revision (improved wing support) on the ATH-A900X?
Can't see AT not making it anymore.

Maybe, or perhaps it's because that headphone lineup just isn't popular in North America and Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back