any new piano rock bands out there?
Oct 31, 2002 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

imdisturbedbyyou

New Head-Fier
does anyone know any good artists like ben folds five or something corporate or say anything for piano rock? and dont tell me elton john cause i dont like that guy.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 10
I've only heard a few songs by Ben Kweller but he reminded me of Ben Folds. I've been meaning to listen to more of his stuff for a while now, but I'm incredibly lazy. Anyways, he's not as good as Ben Folds but is probably worth checking out.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 10
Ben Folds has a new live album out... Do you have his solo record? It's just fantastic.

Otherwise, you might try Coldplay "A Rush of Blood to the Head". There *some* piano in that.

Mark

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 10
You really should check out Elton John-- he didn't always suck-- I swear!! Hard to believe I know!!!

I reco:

1. Honky Chateau ('95 re-master)
2. Madman Across the Water ('95....)
3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road ('95...)
4. Captain Fantastic... ('95)

These are highly enjoyable albums and worth checking out, despite his current level of unforgiveable "suckiness", although his most recent album is a welcome return to form...

Mark

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 10
If you want something really interesting in a related genre, check out Particle. Out of LA, these guys are touring nationally now. They've built a nice following in the jamband scene but their music is very jazz based with a nice rock undertone. Not quite piano based like ben folds, but the synth leads them thru most of their music. In a similar vein, look into Robert Walter's 20th Congress.
Bobes

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
These are highly enjoyable albums and worth checking out, despite his current level of unforgiveable "suckiness", although his most recent album is a welcome return to form...

oh come on, you don't love it when he takes a beautiful song about one of the hottest women to ever live and remake it because some ex-royalty gets killed because of a drunk driver?

yeah, i hate that too. i still don't understand how that because one of the biggest selling singles of all time. just goes to show that if you want sales, it's all about marketing (*cough*SATAN*cough*)..

Nov 2, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm sorry, but how does Ben Folds Five/Ben Folds qualify as rock? Anyone? ... Anyone? ... Buhler? ... Buhler?

That's not saying I think pianos and rock are incompatible. Not at all. But when I think of piano rock, I think more along the lines of Houses of the Holy with John Paul Jones on the grand and snyth pianos. I can't think of a rock band off the top of my head that regularly has a piano in the lineup, but plenty have used them.

If you expand to keyboards, then you really have something to work with. Other piano-esque instruments count, too: think the organ in the Doors lineup -- in my opinion, it almost makes the band. Then there's the electric piano ... can't think of any rock bands other than Zeppelin right now, but some of my favorite Miles Davis material has someone pounding away at one.

kerely

Nov 2, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Okay, I went and looked up what keyboards are actually being used on various Zeppelin songs. How 'bout these -- definitely rock songs:

Acoustic Piano

"Friends"
"Boogie with Stu"
"Rock and Roll"
"Hot Dog"
"The Rain Song"
"Southbound Saurez"
"Darlene"

Electric Piano

"Misty Mountain Hop"
"No Quarter"

Organ (Various, but usually an acoustic-electric hybrid)

"You Shook Me"
"Your Time Is Gonna Come"
"Thank You"
"Since I Been Loving You"
"Night Flight"
"Dancing Days"

Other Keyboards

Clavinet (stringed keyboard), "Trampled Under Foot"
Clavinet, "Custard Pie"
Clavinet, "Into the Light"
Mellotron (doing recorders), "Stairway to Heaven"
Mellotron (doing strings), "The Rain Song"
Mellotron (doing strings), "Kashmir"
Synth Keyboard, "All My Love"
Synth Keyboard, "Carouselambra"
Synth Keyboard, "In the Evening"
Synth Keyboard, "I'm Gonna Crawl"

You might not care at all about this if you're only interested in the clear sound of an acoustic piano. But I tend to think that all keyboard instruments have a similar effect, if not sound, because of the way they're played. And if you're looking for rock songs with only acoustic piano, well, good luck -- it's pretty tough to get a piano to sound good on a rock stage, which is why a lot of bands use other keyboards.

kerely

[Edit: And sorry for completely missing the 'new' in the thread title.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back