Any meets happening in AZ?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2016 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Bubblejuice

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm new to Head-fi.org, and to Hi-fi audio all together. 

I've been doing a lot of searching on high quality headphones, but I haven't had the chance to try any, so I can't take that dive yet. The only place to have Hi-fi headphones in the valley (that I know of) was a store called Arizona Hi-Fi. But since they no longer want to sell headphones, their stock was rather limited when I visited. I've only had the chance to listen to LCD-3 and LCD-XC headphones straight off of my iPhone for about 5 minutes each.

Anyone know if there is any meets/events happening in AZ?
It would be awesome to meet other people with more experience with this, and also to try out different headphones i've only been reading about!

Thanks! 

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 48
I'm also interested in an AZ meetup. I'm looking at some upgrades from mid-fi and would like to try some things out before I buy. Plus I can learn all about amps and DACs which still are a mystery to me.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 48
  I'm also interested in an AZ meetup. I'm looking at some upgrades from mid-fi and would like to try some things out before I buy. Plus I can learn all about amps and DACs which still are a mystery to me.

Just to let you know in case there doesn't happen to be any for a while. I found two very nice hifi shops with a good selection of Hifi headphones in the valley. I didn't see them my first time googling for some reason. 

I'm going to post them here so others can see to get their journey started while some meet ups start forming:

1st: LMC Home Entertainment LTD (They have two locations, I went to the one in Scottsdale)
Decent place, mainly cater to hi-fi and summit-fi. HUGE speakers, Smaller array of hifi headphones, but have good variety like Grado, Audeze (if they're in stock), Focal, etc. They are nice guys that will let you test their stuff for sure, but you won't be left alone to just enjoy, their stuff is expensive lol.

2nd: AVE Audio Video Excellence (They are in fountain hills, but by far my favorite shop.) 

They try to cater to both mid-fi and hi-fi (LCD-3 being their most expensive headphones). The owner Bob is an awesome and very chill guy. There are happy to let you sit down and try out their headphones on their nice Audeze Deckard+Sony HDD player Setup. Definitely the most proffesional looking store i've been to as far as interior design. Bob even stayed an our after closing so my brother and I could listen to their Audeze line. Headphones inlude, Majority of Audeze headphones, Night hawk, Maybe Grado (can't remember), sometimes they have Hifiman, etc. 

None of these places have Sennheiser.

Hope this helps to get you started while we wait for some more info on meet ups.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 48
This is refreshing info indeed, thank you so much for sharing, I'm always on the prowl for a shop offering an thing audio that's worth listening to but have searched far and wide in the valley for headphone vendors and usually come up empty handed. There are so many unique and rare niche shops here but not many cater to cans which I thought so strange. You name the hobby there's probably a store for it here it seems. I will be checking these out...probably tomorrow honestly! Months ago I stumbled upon a meet here in Phoenix, completely with luck and curiosity, and already a fan of quality cans Ive been a regular reader on these forums ever since. Another meet here in the valley would be really great though I agree, I'm not the guy to organize such a thing but I really hope those of you that did the last one do another, it was great!

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 48
  I'll have to check out LMC Home Entertainment.  I've been wanting to hear the high end Focals.  Do you know if they had the Elear or Utopia?

I tried the Elear. Didn't ask for any other Focal since they didn't have the sound I was looking for at all (They are heavy!). 

Keep in mind this place will hook up the headphones to an Amp/Dac combo worth a few grand at least. So the sound you hear will be probably different than what most people will hear at home with a much more affordable set up on any of these headphones. Headphones there mainly consist of Grado, Audeze, and Focal.

Also, make sure to ask about their signature speakers. I can't remember the name, but they are the only store who sells them, according to the guy I talked to. They are two huge speakers with two giant Amps in a theater they built. The set costs about 500k and it sound freaking awesome. Though I can't imagine how many people would actually buy it. But they were very giddy to show me their exclusive toys, lol. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 48
This is refreshing info indeed, thank you so much for sharing, I'm always on the prowl for a shop offering an thing audio that's worth listening to but have searched far and wide in the valley for headphone vendors and usually come up empty handed. There are so many unique and rare niche shops here but not many cater to cans which I thought so strange. You name the hobby there's probably a store for it here it seems. I will be checking these out...probably tomorrow honestly! Months ago I stumbled upon a meet here in Phoenix, completely with luck and curiosity, and already a fan of quality cans Ive been a regular reader on these forums ever since. Another meet here in the valley would be really great though I agree, I'm not the guy to organize such a thing but I really hope those of you that did the last one do another, it was great!

Where was the last one? And how many people were there?

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 48
We had a head-fi meeting in Sept. and I think the talk was to plan the next one at the end of January, though we're getting kind of close to that with no one mentioning anything. Keep your eyes out in this section for a new thread when they start setting up a meet.

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 48
Yeah I was hoping for 2x a year as well. I think we're trying to possibly rent a space or something other than a public library that will give us a little more lee way as far as time and accommodations.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 48
The last meet was a quite a few people. Probably 20 or more. That doesn't sound like a lot but most people brought pretty decent sized setups, space is a concern. Let's just say someone's house or AZ Hifi wouldn't cut it.

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 48
Hello everyone)) Thanks to @cskippy I just learned about this thread. A little background. I'm a 72-year old Arizona native. Back in the 70s I got heavily involved in high end 2-channel speaker based systems. Over the years I owned some pretty amazing equipment. I used to hang out at the local stereo stores - especially Gary Hjerpe's Esoteric Audio. In 2009 life changes led me to sell all my equipment and 2500 vinyl record collection. Then when I learned about Tidal HD I developed an interest in HeadFi. I'm totally lazy now and streaming audio is a necessity.

I feel I have assembled a wonderful headphone system and have never enjoyed listening to recorded music as much as I do today. I really hope there will be an upcoming meet. Would love to meet all of you :o2smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back