Any Mac programs that are similar to IrfanView?
Mar 4, 2006 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Salt Peanuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have any suggestions for Mac programs similar to IrfanView? I'm basically looking for a fast image viewer that can do some minor editing, including resizing that maintains good image quality. I can still do all of this with my Windows machine, but it'll be far more convinient if I could just do this on my Mac.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 14
iPhoto is a whole different program from IrfanView. GraphicConverter is about the closest thing to IrfanView on a Mac, having some capabilities that IrfanView lacks even, but isn't quite as easy to use for some tasks. IrfanView is one of the Windows programs I miss most on my Mac.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 14
have you ever used iPhoto and irfanview?  They are so totally different that it's not worth the comparison.  You can't just view photos in iPhoto.  You can create a library copy of photos and then the copy is visible inside the application.  That's not "viewing a photo".  You can view photos in preview, but that's slow and has very limited editing ability.

I have always been surprised that there are no apps for simply viewing photos on a mac.  The best program I've found is shoebox, which is expensive, a little buggy, and invasive (it makes a bunch of hidden files that are a total headache if you actually try to use shoebox in a meaningful way).  Also, shoebox can't rotate photos, it just displays photos as being rotated when you use their "rotate" command.  (I found this out after spending hours organizing my photos, only to discover that the rotated photos are not rotated when I look at copies on other computers, or when copied into other apps.)

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Of course right after I posted this I found a good set of links with some apps worth checking out:
http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?5925-Irfanview-equivolent-for-the-Mac

The one app that I did think looked like a good photo viewer / organizer: Adobe Darkroom.  However, it was too expensive for me to try out, also looked like overkill for what I wanted. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Try XN View or Irfanview. Both have Mac versions.

Care sharing a link to Irfanview for Mac OS X? The links on their webpage seem to point to MS Windows version only...

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 14
Taken from the IrfanView FAQs
http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q50

Quote:
Q: Can I use IrfanView on Mac?
A: Yes, probably. There is no native-Mac version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Mac program like WineBottler/DARWINE. Take the ZIP version of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Mac. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 14
Darkroom?  I'm familiar with Adobe's Lightroom, and it is an excellent program...very powerful for managing a photographic workflow.  As a simple, fast, easy photo viewer?  It would be slow and frustrating.  Probably not the program you are looking for.

Quote:
Of course right after I posted this I found a good set of links with some apps worth checking out:
http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?5925-Irfanview-equivolent-for-the-Mac

The one app that I did think looked like a good photo viewer / organizer: Adobe Darkroom.  However, it was too expensive for me to try out, also looked like overkill for what I wanted. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 14
How about Preview that comes as part of Mac OS X?
I find it to do a great job as a fast image viewer, and it also got some built in editing features (resize, rotate, crop, exposure, saturation, temperature, contrast, add text, ..).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back