any leica users here?
Oct 19, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 15
  is it dumb to buy the 50 apo summicron?

-I realize this is an old-ish post, but still - that depends, I'd say.

If money is no concern whatsoever to you and you've already got excellent lenses for the other focal lengths you like to use, by all means, go for it. However, if you need to save up for it (as I would!), my thoughts may or may not be useful in deciding -

It is marginally 'better' than the stock Summicron-M by most measurable criteria - whether it matters, in the sense that it makes for visible differences in your photos - I honestly don't know; I use my (film) Leicas with the Summicron 50 mkIV - when I got the opportunity to shoot a couple of rolls with the APO-Summicron, I really couldn't tell which lens was used in most shots until I checked my notes - the differences are subtle, to say the least. Slightly different bokeh - some say it is better, to me it was just different - the APO also being a bit sharper throughout, but then again - as long as you shoot Tri-X as I do and not, say, ADOX CMS 20, Pan F or something similarly fine-grained, you aren't likely to spot any difference in real-world photos. Contrast was pretty much the same.

So, it is not (IMHO) a lens which is significantly better than the regular Summicron - Leica pulled all the stops in order to make a statement lens, and they succeeded. However, any improvement over its quarter-of-the-cost Summicron is very slight, and some of those improvements can be negated in post-processing if you shoot digital (which is what you probably do if money is no concern, etc.)

So, with this rather long-winded introduction, here's what I'd probably end up doing - rather than shelling out $8500 or whatever the APO retails for nowadays, I'd get a regular Summicron (if I didn't already have one!) and spend the difference - a cool $6000 or so - on attending a couple of workshops.

Seriously - $6000 will get you tuition from a couple of world-class photographers and will do so much more for your photography than getting a lens which is marginally better at four times the price.

But, again - if money is no concern at all, there's no reason why one shouldn't rest assured that one owns the best 50mm lens in existence - and then, still attend those workshops... :)

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 15
Well, if you're seriously considering, I'd suggest you try to lend one for a few days to try it out - with any luck there's a domestic company offering Leica rentals - if not, perhaps the Leica distributor may be able to work something out.

Anyway - I'm off, we've got a lovely autumn day up here and the trees are at their finest, so for once I'll load up on some color film rather than Tri-X and head outdoors for a few hours. :)

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 15
  sadly, in australia i have no idea where i can try the lens out. have a nice day with the colour film :)

-And a nice day it turned out to be - I even came across a couple of places so scenic that I drove home to pick up the Texas Leica (Fujica 690) - there are very few things in this world more beautiful to behold than a large Provia slide, (in this case a 6*9 one.) Velvia is a bit over the top for me saturation-wise, but Provia... Sigh. Just about perfect.

Anyway - Google is your friend; I'd just call up the Australian distributor and inquire as to where you could try an APO. Trying before buying is not an unreasonable request for an item in the multi-kilobuck range.

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 15

-And a nice day it turned out to be - I even came across a couple of places so scenic that I drove home to pick up the Texas Leica (Fujica 690) - there are very few things in this world more beautiful to behold than a large Provia slide, (in this case a 6*9 one.) Velvia is a bit over the top for me saturation-wise, but Provia... Sigh. Just about perfect.

Anyway - Google is your friend; I'd just call up the Australian distributor and inquire as to where you could try an APO. Trying before buying is not an unreasonable request for an item in the multi-kilobuck range.

thanks for the advice :)

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #9 of 15
judging by my current thoughts, im probably going to end up with the sony a7riii (whenever that is out) and a voigtlander bessa r3a. this means that it is highly likely that the lens is going on the a7riii

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 15
  judging by my current thoughts, im probably going to end up with the sony a7riii (whenever that is out) and a voigtlander bessa r3a. this means that it is highly likely that the lens is going on the a7riii

-The Bessa R3a rangefinder is very bright and comfortable to use, doubly so as it offers 1:1 magnification. Be advised, though, that in my experience (I've only ever shot 8-10 rolls with an R3a, so I'd probably get better with more practice), the short base length makes it a bit tricky to focus fast optics properly - not likely to be a problem using a 50mm f/2, but put on a Summilux or - shudder - a Noctilux, and you'll feel the pain if trying to shoot it wide open (which, IMHO, is the only way to shoot a Noctilux and, to a lesser extent, a Summilux...)

As for its famed ability to allow the photographer to shoot with both eyes open, I've found that with a bit of practice one can do so comfortably even using the regular .72 magnification Leica finder. (Though a larger magnification obviously makes it easier!)

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 15
  i think it should be fine for f2 right? 

-For a 50, it should be fine - but of course, it comes down to your technique (which, obviously, will improve as you gain some experience with the camera/lens combo.)

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #14 of 15
  well i didnt have TOO much trouble with the m240 i borrowed for a period, so i think it should be ok

-I've found the M240 to have a very precise rangefinder, probably easier to obtain critical focus with than the R3a - but there's only one way to find out; try. (And I am confident you'll be just fine; focusing is more of an issue with faster and/or longer optics than 50mm f/2, anyway!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back