Any leather cases for the HiFiMAN HM-801?
May 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Sonic 748i

VoLTaG3 re-registered
Hi Fang, any plans on a leather case for our beloved HM-801? Mines is starting to show scratches
frown.gif

May 7, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 41
I have a personal favorite custom leather case maker on eBay located in China that I use all the time.  I have a few smart phone cases they've made for me.

http://stores.ebay.com/EASECASE?_rdc=1

I was thinking of designing a custom case for them to make, I can see if they can do it.  If there is enough interest, we could do a group buy.  The eBay seller, Easecase would then offer us a group discount.  A way to save a few dollars.

-Ed

May 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 41

Quote:
I have a personal favorite custom leather case maker on eBay located in China that I use all the time.  I have a few smart phone cases they've made for me.

http://stores.ebay.com/EASECASE?_rdc=1

I was thinking of designing a custom case for them to make, I can see if they can do it.  If there is enough interest, we could do a group buy.  The eBay seller, Easecase would then offer us a group discount.  A way to save a few dollars.

-Ed

I'm definetly in.

May 9, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 41
Here's pics of one of the cases I had made for my old Touch Pro smart phone.

The lining is a microfiber suede with hidden magnets for closure, so nothing can scratch the finish.  There are a lot of options like embossing initials, different belt clips, belt loops, nothing on the back, etc.

They can easily do customizations like dropping the sides of the case more for clearance of ports and buttons on the sides, etc.  But other cut outs might add to the price.  I would expect the final price could be up to $50 depending on how many get in on the group buy.  I won't know for sure until I ask Easecase.

If we get at least 10 people interested, I'll go ahead and design the case, and see how much Easecase will charge for it.
I'd like this case to be able to be somewhat a playthrough case, where basic functions can be accessed without fully removing the HM-801, while still being almost completely protective.  While I want to be able to open up the flap and see the LCD, I don't want the LCD always exposed, or any open corners, etc.

-Ed

May 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 41

Quote:
I'd like this case to be able to be somewhat a playthrough case, where basic functions can be accessed without fully removing the HM-801, while still being almost completely protective.  While I want to be able to open up the flap and see the LCD, I don't want the LCD always exposed, or any open corners, etc.

-Ed

Exactly what I'm after. I want there to be cut out's for the screen, buttons and inputs so I don't have to take my HiFiMAN out.

May 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 41

Quote:

Exactly what I'm after. I want there to be cut out's for the screen, buttons and inputs so I don't have to take my HiFiMAN out.

Yup, but there is going to be a limit to how many openings there will be, as if there are too many, it won't be as secure(accidentally falling out) or protective (too many exposed areas) as possible.  Otherwise a skin type case would be a better idea (but less protective).

-Ed

May 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 41

Quote:
Yup, but there is going to be a limit to how many openings there will be, as if there are too many, it won't be as secure(accidentally falling out) or protective (too many exposed areas) as possible.  Otherwise a skin type case would be a better idea (but less protective).

-Ed

I just realized Edwood, The HiFiMAN gets pretty warm after some time of usage. I would hope this leather case doesn't cause thermal issues. Is the case of the HiFiMAN acting as a heat sink of some sort?

May 10, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 41
The case of the HiFiMAN is thermally coupled to the hot components so yes it does act as a heatsink. In the design of the case there could be a rippled back plate that allows for air to pass over the back of the device, but I do not know whether this is needed maybe Nankai could elaborate on this issue?

May 10, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 41
There is small heatsink that is touching the PCM1704K chips and through a slot in the housing, touches the rear metal plate.  You can feel where it is pretty easily.

The max temp spec for the PCM1704 series is 85C. 

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back