Any known DAP that will stream lossless, downloaded (offline) audio?
Mar 9, 2019 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Any known DAP that will play lossless, downloaded (offline) audio? I am referring to lossless monthly subscription services. I'd muchhh rather have a dedicated DAP than the whole phone + DAC/amp combo.

Edit: I also notice that most of the players will only *stream* lossless over Wi-Fi. To me, streaming seems like much inferior audio quality than downloaded.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 12
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 12
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 12
This is using APK files though. This is how the DX200 works and offline Tidal is not reliable. This is why I may start using my phone for my portable music source as it just works. Unfortunately there is quite a drop in performance to my ears so I am looking at a few options.
Since this is the case, you might want to consider a DAP with Android that support Play Store. FiiO X7 Mk II? or maybe the new Hiby R6 Pro.

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 12
My price range ends at like $350, so I don't think the AKs will work. What is wrong with using APK files? Unreliable?

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 12
My price range ends at like $350, so I don't think the AKs will work. What is wrong with using APK files? Unreliable?
If your budget is $350 then FiiO M9 would be the best. I seldom use streaming with the player but when I do it does it job well. I believe the unreliable part is at the offline content?

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #10 of 12
I am not sure if it is the use of APK files specifically but I have problems using TIDAL offline. This is why I am probably going to use my phone as my portable music source. I have read a lot of the pages on the Fiio and the Hiby DAPs and there seems to be a few issues.
My IPhone just works. It was the opposite of what I intended but now I am probably going the opposite way to the original poster.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #11 of 12
If this is the case maybe OP can consider stream using phone then pair it with a Bluetooth DAC/AMP?

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 12
It's pretty OCD, but I hate the idea of a cell phone being my main music player. I also don't like how the phone + DAC/amp combo looks. Hmm... But it seems like offline playback isn't reliable for any cheaper devices. Maybe I will just have to wait longer until a company gets it figured out. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back