Any interest in a DIY-ers meet?
Jul 16, 2005 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious.

Just before my first meet, I was all pumped to see some other DIYers and their gear, and was a tad dismayed to see only a few people with ANY diy equipment at all. So, anybody interested in a meet where at least one component of your setup must be handmade by you?

orphsmile.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porksoda
Just curious.

Just before my first meet, I was all pumped to see some other DIYers and their gear, and was a tad dismayed to see only a few people with ANY diy equipment at all. So, anybody interested in a meet where at least one component of your setup must be handmade by you?

orphsmile.gif

love to but I'm on the other side of the planet :S

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
love to but I'm on the other side of the planet :S

Well you didnt post in my Melbourne Meet thread :p

As a matter of fact... no one did
frown.gif

Rob.

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
Well you didnt post in my Melbourne Meet thread :p

As a matter of fact... no one did
frown.gif

Rob.

thought it was melbourne florida :p

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 15
I think a DIY-centric meet is a great idea. Seems it would be easier if we had a DIY teleportation device, though..
smily_headphones1.gif

Just finally finished up a PIMETA, and I'm dying to do some in-depth comparison between that and PPAv2, M3, and others.

Also, I gave in and picked up some Dynahi boards, so a chat with someone who has built one would do wonders for my chances
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 15
*COUGH*BUMP*COUGH*

Well, seeing as this thread seems to have suffered an early death, I will throw out Ann Arbor, Michigan as a potential meet site. University of Michigan is a HUGE place, so I am sure I can find a place somewhere to have the meet if there is sufficient interest.

Any takers? Everybody would be welcome of course, but only people with DIY gear can bring gear
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 15
You mean like bring your soldering irons, tools, and different kinds of solder?

I actually brought some tools to the SoCal Meet this past weekend, so I could open up from amps to have a looksy inside.
And I brought a few DIY projects as well.

There is so much gear there that it was easy to overlook DIY stuff. Not many were interested in seeing the innards, but I think it is more like that they were not comfortable with opening up the gear.

Of course when permission was given by owners, everyone wanted to see.
wink.gif

-Ed

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
You mean like bring your soldering irons, tools, and different kinds of solder?

I actually brought some tools to the SoCal Meet this past weekend, so I could open up from amps to have a looksy inside.
And I brought a few DIY projects as well.

There is so much gear there that it was easy to overlook DIY stuff. Not many were interested in seeing the innards, but I think it is more like that they were not comfortable with opening up the gear.

Of course when permission was given by owners, everyone wanted to see.
wink.gif

-Ed

I was thinking more along the actual stuff you have built, i.e. cables, amps, DACs, etc. Soldering stations and the like are welcome for admiration by the hard core DIY crowd
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 15
If you're going to hold it for several hours, you could have a few soldering stations set up, for people to build amps. You probably couldn't get them encased, but you could get them working.

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 15
Heh it could be a DIYer's outreach project!
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
If you're going to hold it for several hours, you could have a few soldering stations set up, for people to build amps. You probably couldn't get them encased, but you could get them working.

This is absolutely a fantastic idea.

For beginners and experienced alike. At the very least, it would be fun for more advanced people to try out other people's tools as well. I know a few of us here are almost as passionate about our tools as we are our headphones.
It is also a great way to learn techniques, tricks, and information.

We would just have to remember to have the place well ventilated, though.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back