Any Information about Grado IEMs?
Jun 10, 2009 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ishcabible

Headphoneus Supremus
Any information at all. I'm pretty interested. I wonder what they sound like.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what they sound like.

Grado-ish?
bigsmile_face.gif

Seriously, is this even a confirmed news?

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 16
Jun 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the link... so there will be two models of Grado in-ear.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 16
Imagining the sound signature should be a no brainer considering these are Grados (IMO they have the most evident "house sound" out of all makes), but what I'm really curious about is how they will look. igrado is the only "non-retro" looking thing they've ever made and it'll be interesting to see how these are aesthetically. How bout a Woody IEM?
very_evil_smiley.gif
lol (would that be the world's first?).

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bout a Woody IEM?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't the JVC FX500's count?

victor_jvc_hp-fx500.jpg

Image Link

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 16
edit: gah, beaten!

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bout a Woody IEM?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nope. The JVC FX500 has a wooden diagram and body.

hp-fx500_bunkai.jpg

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: gah, beaten!

Beaten indeed
ph34r.gif
. I can't say that I'm dying to stick some wood in my ears though.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 16
^ lol Imagine getting wood splinters in your ear canal!

Only kidding, I'm sure JVC products are top notch.

EDIT: Or Grado for that matter..

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ lol Imagine getting wood splinters in your ear canal!

Yes... that would be bad too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only kidding, I'm sure JVC products are top notch.

I'm one for two for jvc phones. HA-RX700 are built nicely while my HA-S150 died in a week. Now just need some grados for comparison
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 16
Still no news?

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 16
Just a thought, but it seems to me that Grado would have to either reinvent the in-ear monitor or reinvent the Grado. Grados are open-air phones. The Grado approach is at odds with the traditional in-ear design, which seeks sound isolation. If Grado got into this market, it would do what Sennheiser has done and introduce a dynamic-driver model, not so much in-ear as at-ear.

Sleek is the one make that seems to be taking a page from Grado, not so much in looks as the use of a rear port for bass extension. With a dynamic driver, what you want is the front of the driver bearing down on the ear canal, with a tight seal, but with the rear of the driver firing out to reduce resonance. It's a mini version of the open-baffle design which many hi-fi'ers love for the bass extension. The real trick, in terms of isolation, is to separate front waves from rear waves.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how they would make IEMs in their factory. Seems like fairly intricate work compared to their current manufacturing processes.

Honestly, I don't think it's all that intricate if you think about it. Grado, like most headphone manufacturers, already works with dynamic drivers. Ironically, little Grados already exist. They're called earbuds. The difference is that most earbuds are not open-air. If they were, and if they had a decent method of using the cushion as a baffle, they'd be doing what Grado does but on a different scale. Grado's great epiphany, in a nutshell, was to open up the back to avoid unwanted resonance. This lets sound leak in and out but it also means that most of what you hear comes directly off the driver.

Jul 6, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I don't think it's all that intricate if you think about it. Grado, like most headphone manufacturers, already works with dynamic drivers. Ironically, little Grados already exist. They're called earbuds. The difference is that most earbuds are not open-air. If they were, and if they had a decent method of using the cushion as a baffle, they'd be doing what Grado does but on a different scale. Grado's great epiphany, in a nutshell, was to open up the back to avoid unwanted resonance. This lets sound leak in and out but it also means that most of what you hear comes directly off the driver.

I highly doubt that Grado actually invented the concept of open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back