Any info/reviews of the Soundblaster E3 and E1?
Sep 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #16 of 41
Just got an E3 and did a bit of testing, comparing it as a usb dac and bluetooth.  I used an android setup, sony tablet z for the usb dac, compared it to my Note 2, voodoo/wolfson playing neutron, same equalizer settings, Shure 535 with gray filters.  Very close in SQ, and since I am not a "pro" tester would leave it at that.

So after confirming that the usb dac/amp combo with sensitive iems worked well went on to bluetooth.
Was looking forward to trying aptx, but guess what-- AOSP roms and my sony z tablet(stock) don't run aptx.  It needs to be licensed and aosp do not do that type of thing.  I did not want to flash to stock(use omni with a custom kernel) so installed an aptx hack I found over at XDA.  It did work but I lost the hands free part.  However I was able to do a bit of testing with aptx.  It is way better than sbc.  There is a tiny bit of background hiss but very minimal.  The clarity is so much better than stock bluetooth, approaching wired output.  It is also overall better than the headphone out from an average phone- it was better than an S3 (non wolfson).

Only criticism of the device are too many tiny buttons making it tough to adjust while walking, riding.  It is a small and light box which is good, but a better UI would have been nice.

Bottom line, the usb DAC/amp is as good as my Note 2 wolfson setup wired.  The apt x is close to the same quality but make sure your phone supports it.

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #18 of 41
Sep 29, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #19 of 41
Any thoughts the E3 will work fine with ipod classic can or does bypass its dac when used with the dock? the 5th gen ipod classic has good dac so i wonder maybe can bypass the e3's and use it as an amp only.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #20 of 41
Did some rmaa testing over the weekend, definitely a ghetto setup, no load, used my PC onboard sound card but for comparison it may be helpful.  I ran my Note 2 stock, Note 2 with voodoo enabled, Note 2 using the USB dac of the E3, and finally the Note 2 through aptx bluetooth E3.  All tests were done at least twice to make sure they were consistent.
I am aware of the problems with this type of testing even if the equipment is proper but it does kind of help in that the aptx numbers are not too bad as compared to the dac alone.  I have done a fair amount of listening now and for casual use outside, in gym hard to tell apart.

(image missing)
(image missing)

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #21 of 41
  Any thoughts the E3 will work fine with ipod classic can or does bypass its dac when used with the dock? the 5th gen ipod classic has good dac so i wonder maybe can bypass the e3's and use it as an amp only.

Your question is a bit confusing - do you mean whether you can use E3 as purely an amp for your iPod Classic 5th Gen? The answer is yes, but you should consider getting a line-out dock for your iPod if you haven't planned so. In fact, there's probably the only way E5 can / should be used with iPod Classic 5G as E3's DAC only supports Apple devices that run on iOS7 and above.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #22 of 41
Yes thats what i mean. i already have ordered a fiio doc cable,  i believe is the L3, the gold plated.
So must work with the E3 i understand...

I had send email to Creative few days ago and make the same question.
there answer was that is not possible to bypass the DAC, E3 does not have ''Direct-Mode''.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #23 of 41
I am wondering whether E1 save the changes (Bass,Treble etc) made through the creative studio ,so that it can be used while connecting to a portable mp3 player.. Please advise ..

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #26 of 41
Here is my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/creative-sound-blaster-e3-headphone-amplifier/reviews/12031

May 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #27 of 41
Hoping noone minds that I dig this thread up. I bought a set of AKG K702 to send to my sister . She deserves a good headphone , and she's currently using a tablet out to some Bluetooth speaker for her music. So I think that the E3 might be a good pairing for somebody that isn't looking for the ultimate high quality set-up, can take it around the house and has the K702s, because she has a good brother .
Has anybody used this combination together from a tablet? She'll definitely just use the Bluetooth and Spotify or something.
Who reckons it will be a good enough combo?

May 30, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 41
I use an e3 with a set of shure 535s with a note 4
Excellent combo, close enough to wired as long as you have aptx running
Without that sound is mediocre at best
See my rmaa curves in earlier thread

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #30 of 41
How do you know if my Android Note 10.1's bluetooth is using APTX? I know it supports it, but is there anyway to know if it was successfully applied to the connect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back