Any impressions of the Grant Fidelity PH-6 headphone tube amp?
Jun 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kendoji

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm extremely happy with my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC 11 - it's an awesome little piece of equipment, and sounds incredible for what it costs.

Grant Fidelity also have a headphone tube amp called the PH-6 that supposedly (according to them in a thread somewhere) pairs nicely with the DAC output of the TubeDAC.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-PH-6-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier.html

All my headphones are low impedance (Grado RS1i, Grado SR125, Denon D2000, V-Moda M80) so I can't use the tube output of the TubeDAC 11 directly to any of them, so I'm tempted by the PH-6's potential to complement my setup.

I've searched, and see that some folks (specially on audio-karma) have it, but nobody seems to have discussed it. Can anyone give me some feedback / impressions of it?  

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 3

2000impreza

Head-Fier
I've owned the Grant Fidelity PH-6(Yaqin PH-5) headphone for about 7 months. It was one of my first headphone amp purchases after venturing into the headphone hobby. Overall, it is a nice entry level headphone amp for the money. This amp uses a hybrid design of tubes for the pre-amp stage and op-amps for the output stage. This hybrid design works fairly well with both low and high impedance headphones. The selectable gain is also a nice touch. The amp uses fairly popular chinese 6J1 tubes which is in the same family as 6AK5 and EF95 so there are plenty of tubes to roll. I measured the output impedance to be very acceptable at 2.3 ohms. 

This amp is comparable to the Little dot 1+ and HiFiman EF-2 using a similar hybrid design. It has been a long time since I compared all three so I can't quite remember how they differ in terms of sound. Build quality, the PH-6 was slightly better from what I can remember. 

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 3

Kendoji

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks for the response and the photos. It looks very cool on top of the TubeDAC like that (though I'm not sure my gf would agree lol). I think I'll probably end up ordering it - seems like another good bang-for-the-buck option for a noob on a budget like me. I do have a FiiO E7 / E9 combo that I can pair with the TubeDAC tube output - any thoughts on the value the PH-6 would add to that setup?

Users who are viewing this thread