Any IEM Good For Sleeping With Noise Isolation For $100 & Under That Will Last?
May 30, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #16 of 22
^Wow, Shure fits you like a glove. I can't say the same about me. If you sleep on the side perhaps the cable or even the shell may cause unnatural pressure.
@Leryra interesting about canble with mic/remote and funny about getting imprinted on the face. I laughed hard. Haha.

I guess for isolation triple flanges are a must, but I's be scared of the uncomfort from pressure over night.

I've been using disposible foam inserts. Honeywell laser-lite with fantastic sleep noise isolation. Foam degrades after 2 nights of usage and need replacing (isolation degrades), but you can get a pack of 200 for $25. I doubt that I can achieve same level isolation with iems.

These are ugly mugs and look ghetto. But, once used, I quickly found out, it's not about looks, but usefulness. People tell me don't judge the book by it's cover.

I hated the neon like color on them, but come to find out they serve a function on the work site for easily noticing if people are wearing them. Hence LASER-lite? Wish complyfoam was cheap like this for disposable.

Anway, with iems, I was thinking white background noise to blanket random sharp noises since isoation isn't up there. Bose jas a product out that does that, but since for sleep usage is heavily used,battery will degrade fast. I need wired.

Yo SilverEars!

The way that I did my setup before for sleeping, is that I have my speakers connected to my phone, and I play white noise, specifically, the white noise in the background, of the Star Trek DS9 space station. It really sounds good, but like I said, its not covering up the birdy noise. They like to perch on the awning and then chirp insessently to each other non-stop. But I realized that if I plugged my Shure 215's into my phone, there would no longer be white noise for the room. Sure I could get a splitter to split the Shure, (Yes punn was so intended HAHA) but without an amp, the sound levels would be too low between speakers and IEM's.

I have a roommate in the same house, and I am used to the privacy that the white noise provides as well. I have already come up with a solution, and I am going to update you on the new setup. I ordered the Lectrofan white noise generator. This will push white noise in my room that will both provide privacy for me, but also cover up most noises in the house. Then with the Shure 215's plugged into my phone, I can push white noise through my IEM's, between the two, I should get some quality sleep.

Of course I am going to have to get used to wearing IEM's, cause thats a new thing for my ears. But yes I agree, the Shure's, sure do fit my ears like a glove. (Ohhhhh, how I punned again HEHE) And hey, you never know, you might grow to like the idea of how I am doing my setup, and wish to do the same. And if so, and you want to hear all the different sounds that the white noise generator can produce, look up video reviews on Youtube.

May 30, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #17 of 22
May 30, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #18 of 22
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 22
Sorry it took so long getting back to you guys, anyways, I bring bad news. While these IEM's might be great for occasional music listening, they are not only bad for audiophiles who want audiophile quality, but they are also bad for sleeping as well. First of all, while the medium stock tip that came on the IEM's might fit me well, I can always feel there is something in my ear canal, and that feeling never goes away. I tried to get to sleep with just the back of my head against the pillow, wasn't happening.

So then I tried to sleep on my side, which is what I usually do. Even though these IEM's have a flat profile, there was still unusual pressure being applied while on my side. This unusual pressure, amplified the already odd feeling in the ear canal, and made it worse. I tried both sides, and the right side pressure was perhaps worse. I checked the clock on my phone, and I was trying to get to sleep with these IEM's for an hour and a half. So there is your evidence that I clearly tried, and put a clear effort into trying to make these work.

In the end, the only thing that worked for me, was the Lectrofan noise machine that I bought. Believe it or not, I discovered that thing was covering up the bird noises, better then the variation of white noise I was using, with my speakers before! My final conclusion about the Shure SE215 IEM's however, is due to their awesome sound isolation abilities, these IEM's would be perfect for use when mowing the lawn. But I can't recommend them for sleeping use, as it did not work for me.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #20 of 22
I used to use the Zero Audio Carbo Tenores for sleeping. They went fairly deep into the ear but were really low footprint so they were good for sleeping. Not really efficient, but for sleeping its also not an issue as the audio is unlikely to be on full blast.

Now I mainly use the FLC8D for sleeping but those were above the stated price point.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #21 of 22
  • Phonak Audeo PFE, any model : the best I ever slept with, sadly the cables would break after a year or two, and they are now discontinued. Very comfy, you could press all you want against your ear and it won't bother you at all. I owned 3 models, I'd love them to come back :frowning2:

The Zero Audio Carbo Tenore has a similar sound and a bit more efficient. And about the same fit too. I had the Phonaks; they even were available with kits to mod the sound a bit (way before that was a "thing"). Some vendor had bought out all the Phonak's super cheap and then had a nice business selling off the inventory at much higher prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back