Any idea on what's this thing?
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
I can't find anything regarding this Car Discman, since the picture does not show the model number. Here, have a look:

img

Anybody knows if it's any good? Thanks.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 16
30 views already and no aswers... It's a new record I guess. Anyway, I am bumping this up ang going home. Hopefully somebody would have an aswer tomorrow. Bye.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 16
This is like "Back to the Future". Or shall I say the past.
icon10.gif

I used to own one of these in 1989.

Back then CD's were just starting to get popular and many cars did not have CD players.

The big thing about this thing was that it was "shock-proof." Compared to today it's pretty unsophisticated the cd spinner/reader was actually mounted on a shock absorber system and kinda float like a car suspension.

I don't think it had a memory buffer for anti skip. On big bumps it did skip, but I had a really small and hard-riding sports car then and I drove like a maniac (still do)
very_evil_smiley.gif
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's called CAR discman due to absorbtion system and because it came with a cassette tape output adapter and velcro strips to mount to the dash of your car.

From what I remember it wasn't bad. It also had a 1/8 mini lineout (full volume or adjustable I don't remember.

Good memories. I beat the $#%#& out of this thing physically caring it in and out of the car and basically throwing it in the back trunk so it wouldn't be seen and stolen. This thing was tough, and could really take some abuse and still work great, not like the plastic crap cd players today.

Ahhhh......Memory lane.

You made my day.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

edit: It came with a DC power adapter also that went into the cigarette lighter.
edit2: I don't think mine had the DSP. I don't remember using it. (?) I used to use it with car stereo, sony earbuds, and my onkyo home stereo because my carousel couldn't read some CD's with silkscreened pictures on them. I can't say how it would compare soundwise to today's stuff. I do remember it was built like a tank.
eggosmile.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
This is like "Back to the Future". Or shall I say the past.
icon10.gif

I used to own one of these in 1989.

Back then CD's were just starting to get popular and many cars did not have CD players.

The big thing about this thing was that it was "shock-proof." Compared to today it's pretty unsophisticated the cd spinner/reader was actually mounted on a shock absorber system and kinda float like a car suspension.

I don't think it had a memory buffer for anti skip. On big bumps it did skip, but I had a really small and hard-riding sports car then and I drove like a maniac (still do)
very_evil_smiley.gif
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's called CAR discman due to absorbtion system and because it came with a cassette tape output adapter and velcro strips to mount to the dash of your car.

From what I remember it wasn't bad. It also had a 1/8 mini lineout (full volume or adjustable I don't remember.

Good memories. I beat the $#%#& out of this thing physically caring it in and out of the car and basically throwing it in the back trunk so it wouldn't be seen and stolen. This thing was tough, and could really take some abuse and still work great, not like the plastic crap cd players today.

Ahhhh......Memory lane.

You made my day.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

edit: It came with a DC power adapter also that went into the cigarette lighter.
edit2: I don't think mine had the DSP. I don't remember using it. (?) I used to use it with car stereo, sony earbuds, and my onkyo home stereo because my carousel couldn't read some CD's with silkscreened pictures on them. I can't say how it would compare soundwise to today's stuff. I do remember it was built like a tank.
eggosmile.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Thanks RockinOut. You know, I don't really need another PCDP, but I am a sucker for square Sony players. I guess I'll wait to see if it goes for around 20 bucks and then I'll buy it. And yes, those old Discmen could take a beating. My D-20 still looks like new.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
Thanks RockinOut. You know, I don't really need another PCDP, but I am a sucker for square Sony players. I guess I'll wait to see if it goes for around 20 bucks and then I'll buy it. And yes, those old Discmen could take a beating. My D-20 still looks like new.
biggrin.gif

I dropped my D-33 several times from a height of about 60 millimeters (granted on to carpet) and it didn't hurt the player at all. One of those times I picked it up and it was still playing, like nothing happened!
tongue.gif

I have to reserve the real amazement for my Philips Expanium EXP3361 player though. Dropped that one from about 5 feet onto solid concrete, and aside from some marks on the lid it's fine!
eek.gif
I'll never say anything bad about "Made in China" gear again
tongue.gif

P.S. best of luck on finding the make/model of that player... was it just a random picture you found or something? If it's being sold, you could always ask the seller (?).

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 16
D-80# series.... I think???

D802k or 808... Something like that... PM filburt, I think he's heard it before and as I recall he said it was a warm musical player. Not exactly a detail monger, but warm and musical.

I like those, the buttons light up and are switchable green / amber.

Never heard one first hand though... sorry.

They go for $15-$20 a pop on ebay I think.

Garrett

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
P.S. best of luck on finding the make/model of that player... was it just a random picture you found or something? If it's being sold, you could always ask the seller (?).

Well, I found it on the Mexican eBay around 3.00 am last nigth. It was too late to get an answer, so I figured out that it would be faster to ask around here if someone knew about this player. I guess I should have contacted the seller, but for some reason I did not. Maybe because I was extremely tired and bored to tears.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
D-80# series.... I think???

D802k or 808... Something like that... PM filburt, I think he's heard it before and as I recall he said it was a warm musical player. Not exactly a detail monger, but warm and musical.

I like those, the buttons light up and are switchable green / amber.

Never heard one first hand though... sorry.

They go for $15-$20 a pop on ebay I think.

Garrett

Thanks Garrett, I'll mssg Fillburt. And yes, the buttons look really cool.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 16
BTW I noticed it was one of those 1bit DAC players... personally I've found they seem to have more jitter and sound slightly unrealistic (warmer and too smooth) compared to multi-bit oversampling DACs... at least with the ones I've listened to. The D-34 is a specific example of what I didn't like, at least with classical and other unamplified acoustic music.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
BTW I noticed it was one of those 1bit DAC players... personally I've found they seem to have more jitter and sound slightly unrealistic (warmer and too smooth) compared to multi-bit oversampling DACs... at least with the ones I've listened to. The D-34 is a specific example of what I didn't like, at least with classical and other unamplified acoustic music.

Yep, you are rigth. But I am still tempted to buy it. It's not very often that you cand find old discmen in good shape down here. Specially the older square ones. Anyway, I don't really need it, but I love those things. Maybe I am addicted or something like that
confused.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 16
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif
Now that I'm in memory lane, one big reason I bought this thing was because the salesgirl who was explaining me all it's uniqe features was way HOT and way too friendly for my, and my wallet's, own good.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

That's why I remembered and could describe all the features. It's funny how memories work.

Man I was such a sap with pretty girls. . . . still am
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif
Now that I'm in memory lane, one big reason I bought this thing was because the salesgirl who was explaining me all it's uniqe features was way HOT and way too friendly for my, and my wallet's, own good.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

That's why I remembered and could describe all the features. It's funny how memories work.

Man I was such a sap with pretty girls. . . . still am
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

eek.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It happens to all of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back