Any Gregory Isaacs fans here?
Oct 11, 2006 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
I know it's not exactly "audiophile" quality music but I love to listen to him and just rock out. If your having a bad day, his music is pretty lightening, for some reason it just makes me smile. Any other fans here?

Oct 13, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I know it's not exactly "audiophile" quality music ...

I don't know about that, the Night Nurse remix on the K&D Session set sounds pretty damn nice to me, especially on the 4-LP set
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 5
Got to give the "cool ruler" some love. I have a handful of Isaacs cds now and I love them all. The early stuff can sound rough, but a lot of his other releases also sound very good. Night Nurse being one of the best. "Open The Door" from 2004 I believe, also sounds good. In fact most reggae cds sound very good. I have a lot and only Bob Marley "Live At the Roxy" is compressed pretty badly. The show is also available on one of the deluxe albums so I wonder if that one sounds any differant.

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Gregory Isaacs is one of the few reggae artists that I still listen to alot (The other being Prince Far-i)

Love and heartily recommend the following cds:

"Best of Vol 1 and 2" thats on heartbeat records and is a collection of the material he recorded for Alvin Ranglin's GG label

"Mr Isaacs" now re-released on Blood and Fire records. I think this was gregory's first album length musica statement. It almost plays like a concept record...and this re-release has some killer bonus tracks. sq is not always the greatest though...there's a noticable amount of sibilance on gregory's vocals on this one

"Extra Classic" this JUST re-released by the now mega consolidated trojan/sanctuary/bmg label. Crucial release:12 vocal tracks and 11 dubs. If you don't have this one, you must get it

"Cool Ruler" on Front Line/Virgin records. Very good stuff, though imo not his best.

"Soon Forward" also on Front Line/Virgin. This is a must own disc. Awesome material on there.

"Once Ago" is a compilation of 2 gregory albums originally put out on pre/charisma records I think but now on frontline/virgin. They were "Lonely Lover" and "More Gregory". You can get "More Gregory" on its own now through Island records, but "Once Ago" is the only way to get the "Lonely lover" material, which is imo better than the stuff on "More Gregory". All that being said, this is a great disc, and is pretty cheap online. Very VERY worth getting.

"Night Nurse" of course his most widely known record. Yes, I love it too.

"Warning" produced by King Tubby and only available on some semi-sketchy import label out-a-englan'. Smugg Records is the label. I found it at townsendrecords.co.uk (I think) Digi sounds that retain the isaacs soul. We can thank Tubbs for that I'm sure, may he rest in peace.

Much respect for the cool ruler here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back