Any good recommendations on headphones that excel at midrange?
Apr 17, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #31 of 36
I'll look into the AGD R2R-11 for amp. Btw are these the correct versions? They say sextett on the silver but there are no holes on the headband?
s-l1600.jpg

No.
I suggest you watch my Sextett video all the way through.

Two problems with this pair.
1. Nowhere on the K240 Sextett did it ever actually say "Sextett". So this pair has been faked with that badge. It very well may be a legit Sextett,but...

2. The solid headband was used at the very end of the Sextett production life cycle,meaning it is an LP Sextett,or "late production". The LP is very bass light and I would not recommend it to anyone who enjoys rock music.
If you look at my signature you will see the headphones I currently own. The EP,MP,LP next to the Sextetts means I own all three versions. Trust me you do not want the LP.

I address all these points and more in my video.

EDIT: I used to own the R2R-11 and I really like it,but it isnt powerful enough for the Sextett. Again,were talking about a 600ohm headphone with a low 90s sensitivity. The Sextett needs power!
I really enjoyed it with the AD2000,but that has a sensitivity of over 100 and is 40ohms,meaning it isnt hard to drive.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #32 of 36
How about the AKG K553? Isn't this a relatively mid based can? As for the Nighthawk, I would call the mids many things, but forward and aggressive isn't one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #33 of 36
I've always found the Grado line to be terrific with rock guitars. They are open, though, as is the HD600 (agree with @blackdragon87, it is a very neutral headphone. I own one and listen to it quite regularly. Still, Grado for rock is hard to beat. Just my take, though, and YMMV, of course.).

Grado really is the way to go for good midrange, they are an absolutely fantastic rock headphone. I would suggest the 325e, they run $300 and are the sweet spot in the Grado lineup. If you are not scared to spend a little more the Grado RS2e is supposed to be really good, but I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a Grado.
If you want something more comfortable and budget friendly, the Philips SHP9500s is a good choice. (It's a comfortable Grado...or a poor mans HD600)
Purple angel mentioned the T50RP line...they really do have an accurate, very natural sounding midrange. To me, most headphones with decent mids they sound like a good recording of mids, somehow the Fostex remove that 'recorded' sound ...something like the T60RP would be worth considering.

BTW, re. Grados:

I have found the “sweet spot” to be the old SR225i, upgraded with a nice set of handmade Cocobolo wood cups (from Yew Woodworks). You will need to be able to solder reasonably well, though...

They are great for acoustic jazz (on the end of a transformer-coupled tube amp) and are extremely detailed and revealing, but the soundstage is very narrow.

Okay, just received the SR125e's not too long ago and have been listening to them for about an hour and a half before they started to get too uncomfortable on my ears. Hopefully those G cushions come in soon! lol
But yeah I can totally see why Grados have this following despite their horrible build quality. They sound pretty dang good, the midrange was exactly what I was looking for. The only problem I have with them is that the lower midrange doesnt come out clear enough? I don't know if Im descbring that right. Like it sounds good on the upper half of the spectrum but the upper lower doesnt come out as clear as I would like. Are there any other Grados that anybody can recommend that has the most clarity?

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #34 of 36
Okay, just received the SR125e's not too long ago and have been listening to them for about an hour and a half before they started to get too uncomfortable on my ears. Hopefully those G cushions come in soon! lol
But yeah I can totally see why Grados have this following despite their horrible build quality. They sound pretty dang good, the midrange was exactly what I was looking for. The only problem I have with them is that the lower midrange doesnt come out clear enough? I don't know if Im descbring that right. Like it sounds good on the upper half of the spectrum but the upper lower doesnt come out as clear as I would like. Are there any other Grados that anybody can recommend that has the most clarity?

Understand that changing pads on the Grados changes the sound too. I didnt like what the bowls did to the sound. YMMV.

When you say the "lower mids" dont sound clear,what aspect are you referring to? Post a song that youre experiencing this and the areas where it sounds not so great.

So now that weve determined the Grado mid sound is what you like(as I thought) my previous recommendations hold true. As others have mentioned Grados are the easiest to amp and actually buy vs. Sextett & AD2000s,but IMO theyre both worth the extra effort required.

These threads might be of help for the comfort on the Grados
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-grado-mods.119314/page-576
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bea...ado-and-grado-mods-impressions-thread.891175/

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #36 of 36
I would recommend you do a bass mod on the drivers...basically you open up the cups (they are just glued together so all you have to do is heat them up with a hair dryer or something and then gently pull them apart.) There are several holes on the backs of the drivers that are covered with micropore tape. On more expensive Grados some of these holes are already vented. You take a ballpoint pen and gently open up 4 of the holes. It's actually a pretty easy procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back