Any good recommendations on headphones that excel at midrange?
Apr 16, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 36

I own the HD600 and HD650. They both aren't as forward as I would like them to be and don't carry that umph that I'm looking for.

I've always found the Grado line to be terrific with rock guitars. They are open, though, as is the HD600 (agree with @blackdragon87, it is a very neutral headphone. I own one and listen to it quite regularly. Still, Grado for rock is hard to beat. Just my take, though, and YMMV, of course.).
Grado really is the way to go for good midrange, they are an absolutely fantastic rock headphone. I would suggest the 325e, they run $300 and are the sweet spot in the Grado lineup. If you are not scared to spend a little more the Grado RS2e is supposed to be really good, but I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a Grado.
If you want something more comfortable and budget friendly, the Philips SHP9500s is a good choice. (It's a comfortable Grado...or a poor mans HD600)
Purple angel mentioned the T50RP line...they really do have an accurate, very natural sounding midrange. To me, most headphones with decent mids they sound like a good recording of mids, somehow the Fostex remove that 'recorded' sound ...something like the T60RP would be worth considering.

I just can't get behind Grado's build quality and the fact they don't have detachable cables. I'm also really not a fan of on ear headphones as I have ears that kind of stick out so they get really fatiguing.
The T60RP I was looking at as well, but I've heard that the soundstage is more narrow. So that kept me away as I'm more into wider sound stage.

Valid points,however...

Preface: I do like the Grado sound. I hate however the way the Grado sits on the ear vs. over ear. I dont care how good a headphone sounds,if my ears are in pain,im not using them. Ive tried the larger bowl pads and it ruined the sound to me.
Secondly Grados have some sharp peaks in the upper mids that on poorly or hot mastered tracks can be unpleasant. OP likes blues. Not all blues,especially the classics have good mastering.

Sextetts have a warmer sound than Grados with zero upper mid spikes. They bring electric guitars literally up against your skull. The Grados come close but even they dont bring out guitars like the Sextetts.
A vintage receiver is an excellent match for Sextetts. For relatively little money in this crazy hobby a MP sextett and a good vintage receiver will have you in electric guitar heaven for under 500.00,even less if one is patient.

Onto the HD600...good headphone that is flat out boring to listen to for rock music.

At the end of the day this hobby is highly subjective. What sounds great thru my system,and to my ears might be trash to someone else. That much I think most will agree with. However with over $10,000 invested in my system over the years,and owning headphones that cost over $2K,I still find the sextett+vintage receiver the best bang for the buck for rock/metal/blues/folk in the hobby.

If the OP wants to use a mobile phone as his source and amp and be done with it,then the Sextett wont work,but neither will the Grado,unless he listens in his home,in a quiet room. Being open backed they arent recommended for taking out into public and everyone will hear what he hears and vice/versa.

EDIT:

OP suggested that price is no object. If that is truly the case then I suggest:
DAC-Denafrips Terminator-$4300.00
HP-Stax 007 mk 2-$2100.00
amp-Blue Hawaii SE-$5,999.99

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00 Go straight to end game.

Ditto on everything you said about Grados. They just seem like they would be too uncomfortable for me being that they are on ear. Thanks for the high end recommendations! Not that I'm rich or anything, I just wanted to know what cans I should be referencing for endgame, as you said lol.

@sleepspent If you can give us a realistic budget for headphone+amp+DAC,if thats the way you want to go,as well as how,when and where you will be using the gear I think you will get some tighter suggestions.

There are so many variables that come into play before we can tell you yes,or no to a certain set-up.

AMP+DAC I'm not too particular, I'm just running a Schiit Modi Multibit dac and Vali hybrid tube amp. I feel like this setup has suited my needs thus far. As for headphones I have a max $1,200 budget.

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #17 of 36
I own the HD600 and HD650. They both aren't as forward as I would like them to be and don't carry that umph that I'm looking for.

yeah,I feel you there. Good headphones but I think I know what sound youre after.
AMP+DAC I'm not too particular, I'm just running a Schiit Modi Multibit dac and Vali hybrid tube amp. I feel like this setup has suited my needs thus far. As for headphones I have a max $1,200 budget.

OK,so the Vali isnt going to do it for Sextetts,so you will need to grab a vintage receiver and a sextett,and you will still come in about 700.00 under budget.

You will need a y-splitter cable or Vampire RCAs and split the DAC signal,then you can feed both the Vali and vintage receiver,so youre not constantly plugging/unplugging. Check my youtube channel for sextett and vintage receivers videos for more info. If after watching my vids and you decide to go that route,drop any questions you have on my channel and I will do my best to help.

I mentioned ZMF headphones prior. If you find the HD650s not aggressive enough in the mids,then likely you wont like the ZMFs either.

The only other headphone I can think of that has an aggressive,in your face guitar presentation similar to Sextetts and Grados is the ATH AD2000,which I also own.You wont need a mega amp for them but they too have some issues.

1.Comfort...not too great. Not horrid like Grados,but they have a clamp similar to HD650. If you dont mind the comfort on the Senns,then likely it wont be an issue on the 2000s either.

2.Actually finding a pair. The original ATH AD2000 was only released in Japan and have become rarer than hens teeth. They too are discontinued and the AD2000x,which replaced it,is not a legit substitute.
They come up for sale maybe a cpl times a year and usually go for between $350.00-$450.00

3.Amp picky. They arent too hard to drive but they are picky. Ive tried them on many amps and the best I have heard them sound was on my AGD R2R-11. It gave the AD2000s a satisfying midbass slam,kept the mids in your face,and only slightly slowed the lightning speed of these headphones.
Many people like them on the Gilmore Lite. I found that pairing to sound bass light and sterile. YMMV.

Other than that Im outta ideas.

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #18 of 36
I just can't get behind Grado's build quality and the fact they don't have detachable cables. I'm also really not a fan of on ear headphones as I have ears that kind of stick out so they get really fatiguing.
The T60RP I was looking at as well, but I've heard that the soundstage is more narrow. So that kept me away as I'm more into wider sound stage.
As far as build quality...I am right there with you..in fact I have made myself a pariah on the Grado threads, because I constantly call them a bunch of cult members for ignoring the build issues...I have made myself a major pain in the ass about that, actually. :wink:
I built a set of 325e out of a set of used 80e...I spent about $130...they are an absolutely stellar sub $200 headphone, I love my Grados...but I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone spend more than $300 for one.
as far as your soundstage issues...I get what you are saying...I like sound stage too...BUT for the type of music you like, a huge soundstage isn't optimal...you want accurate over ' wide, huge, big" ...rock music isn't meant to sound like it is happening in a massive space...it'e meant to sound like its in a club, or a tight studio...at most in a theater.
I like a wide soundstage in theory..but in practice, I like things to be right sized...not confined or close, .like a closed back headphone....but with defined parameters.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 36
as far as comfort...I am SUPER picky about comfort...I thought I was going to hate Grados...you adjust, you wear the pads in a bit ...honestly, I get tired of the aggressive, in your face mids before I get tired of the pads...rock in roll is meant for small doses...a few hours...and the Grado is good for that...not trying to sell anyone on Grados, just saying they are worth giving a shot...it's an acquired taste.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 36
also? the OP doesn't want a $12,000 setup after all...so...I think we all agree somebody owes me some Sextexts...we had a legit wager y'all!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #22 of 36
also? the OP doesn't want a $12,000 setup after all...so...I think we all agree somebody owes me some Sextexts...we had a legit wager y'all!

Hey,did you check out that Pioneer in Atascadero? Decent price on a good vintage receiver.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #23 of 36
I see no real good recommendations here for what the OP asked for. Therefore, let me be the first in recommending a really decent headphone with IMO the best mid's you can get in a headphone regardless of price: The Audio Quest NightHawk.
The Nighthawk has the warmest, most luscious, best mid's of any headphone i've heard. Good for rock music, acoustic, blues, jazz, and classical. It has a vast soundstage, most impressive when watching movies too. It also has very comfortable earpads. It's really a shame that the Nighthawks are no longer in production, for that reason, if you want one you'd better get one fast.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #24 of 36
yeah,I feel you there. Good headphones but I think I know what sound youre after.
OK,so the Vali isnt going to do it for Sextetts,so you will need to grab a vintage receiver and a sextett,and you will still come in about 700.00 under budget.
You will need a y-splitter cable or Vampire RCAs and split the DAC signal,then you can feed both the Vali and vintage receiver,so youre not constantly plugging/unplugging. Check my youtube channel for sextett and vintage receivers videos for more info. If after watching my vids and you decide to go that route,drop any questions you have on my channel and I will do my best to help.
I mentioned ZMF headphones prior. If you find the HD650s not aggressive enough in the mids,then likely you wont like the ZMFs either.
The only other headphone I can think of that has an aggressive,in your face guitar presentation similar to Sextetts and Grados is the ATH AD2000,which I also own.You wont need a mega amp for them but they too have some issues.

1.Comfort...not too great. Not horrid like Grados,but they have a clamp similar to HD650. If you dont mind the comfort on the Senns,then likely it wont be an issue on the 2000s either.

2.Actually finding a pair. The original ATH AD2000 was only released in Japan and have become rarer than hens teeth. They too are discontinued and the AD2000x,which replaced it,is not a legit substitute.
They come up for sale maybe a cpl times a year and usually go for between $350.00-$450.00

3.Amp picky. They arent too hard to drive but they are picky. Ive tried them on many amps and the best I have heard them sound was on my AGD R2R-11. It gave the AD2000s a satisfying midbass slam,kept the mids in your face,and only slightly slowed the lightning speed of these headphones.
Many people like them on the Gilmore Lite. I found that pairing to sound bass light and sterile. YMMV.

Other than that Im outta ideas.
Thanks for the recommendation on the Sextett! I have placed a bid on ebay for some lol. As for amps I'm not really particular on that as I feel the amp that I have is adequate for my needs.

As far as build quality...I am right there with you..in fact I have made myself a pariah on the Grado threads, because I constantly call them a bunch of cult members for ignoring the build issues...I have made myself a major pain in the ass about that, actually.
I built a set of 325e out of a set of used 80e...I spent about $130...they are an absolutely stellar sub $200 headphone, I love my Grados...but I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone spend more than $300 for one.
as far as your soundstage issues...I get what you are saying...I like sound stage too...BUT for the type of music you like, a huge soundstage isn't optimal...you want accurate over ' wide, huge, big" ...rock music isn't meant to sound like it is happening in a massive space...it'e meant to sound like its in a club, or a tight studio...at most in a theater.
I like a wide soundstage in theory..but in practice, I like things to be right sized...not confined or close, .like a closed back headphone....but with defined parameters.
Hahaha ditto on the cheap build quality. I see what you are saying about sound stage too! Duly noted. I just purchased some SR125e's cuz yes I couldn't justify paying more than $200 on these with the build quality they have.

as far as comfort...I am SUPER picky about comfort...I thought I was going to hate Grados...you adjust, you wear the pads in a bit ...honestly, I get tired of the aggressive, in your face mids before I get tired of the pads...rock in roll is meant for small doses...a few hours...and the Grado is good for that...not trying to sell anyone on Grados, just saying they are worth giving a shot...it's an acquired taste.
Good point! I actually just caved about bought some SR125e's!!! I also purchased some G-cushion cups which are supposedly over ear and fit the prestige line as well. So hopefully that resolves the comfortability factor.

I see no real good recommendations here for what the OP asked for. Therefore, let me be the first in recommending a really decent headphone with IMO the best mid's you can get in a headphone regardless of price: The Audio Quest NightHawk.
The Nighthawk has the warmest, most luscious, best mid's of any headphone i've heard. Good for rock music, acoustic, blues, jazz, and classical. It has a vast soundstage, most impressive when watching movies too. It also has very comfortable earpads. It's really a shame that the Nighthawks are no longer in production, for that reason, if you want one you'd better get one fast.
I tried looking for NightHawks but I could only find the NightHawk Carbon. Is the Carbon similar in sound signature as you described?

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #25 of 36
I've never heard the Nighthawk carbon, only the Nighthawk. From what I read from reviewers/owners of the Nighthawk carbon, it likely has a very similar sound signature to the Nighthawk except less warm mid's. I think both headphones have the same drivers.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #26 of 36
Thanks for the recommendation on the Sextett! I have placed a bid on ebay for some lol. As for amps I'm not really particular on that as I feel the amp that I have is adequate for my needs.

Good luck.
I cannot stress enough how much power these need. Admittedly I havent tried your amp with them,but the Magni 3 simply didnt have the horsepower for the job.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #27 of 36
Good luck.
I cannot stress enough how much power these need. Admittedly I havent tried your amp with them,but the Magni 3 simply didnt have the horsepower for the job.
I'll look into the AGD R2R-11 for amp. Btw are these the correct versions? They say sextett on the silver but there are no holes on the headband?
s-l1600.jpg

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #28 of 36
They look like the real thing!

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #29 of 36
BTW, re. Grados:

I have found the “sweet spot” to be the old SR225i, upgraded with a nice set of handmade Cocobolo wood cups (from Yew Woodworks). You will need to be able to solder reasonably well, though...

They are great for acoustic jazz (on the end of a transformer-coupled tube amp) and are extremely detailed and revealing, but the soundstage is very narrow.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #30 of 36
At the end of the day, if you can handle the sharpish treble, I’d suggest a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s (600 Ohm), together with an OTL tube amp (Little Dot, Darkvoice, Schiit Valhalla etc.).

I use mine with a highly modified LD Mk III.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back