Any good portable Audio Player?
Jul 6, 2005 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

nicknameless

100+ Head-Fier
Are there really and good portable audio players? I absolutly hate my iPod. The battery is screwed up (I am sending it in for free to get fixed), the quality isn't that great and my screen is very demented. It shows funny colors and is a bit distorted. I have heard alot of problems with various portable music players. What is the best portable audio player? I want to play flac or another losless encoding format. I am looking around 20GB+. I want it to work well with my E2cs and not too be very expensive. What can I get?

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 33
What Fish said.

If you think the iPod is horrible, the slight improvement you may find from a Karma, X5, etc. isn't gonna make enough of a difference. There may be a professional DAT, etc. player out there though.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
What Fish said.

If you think the iPod is horrible, the slight improvement you may find from a Karma, X5, etc. isn't gonna make enough of a difference. There may be a professional DAT, etc. player out there though.

Hi, I'm also looking for a portable to go with my (well, soon to be mine) Stax SR-001's. Can you recommend anything?

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpJee
Hi, I'm also looking for a portable to go with my (well, soon to be mine) Stax SR-001's. Can you recommend anything?

Yeah, Get an Ipod
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknameless
I didn't really think so. I guess I will stick with my iPod and get a better sound card for my computer.

Beware that might make your iPod sound even worse.
blink.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 33
Thats odd, I find my karma to sound much better than any of my friends iPods, and slightly better than my former iRiver H320. The parametric EQ makes it infinitly more adjustable and I'm sure flac sounds better than mp3 right?

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 33
It's not odd, it is just that people's tastes are different. I haven't heard a Karma or an Iriver. I have only heard a Rio Carbon and an Ipod and I prefer the Ipod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro
I'm sure flac sounds better than mp3 right?

Sure, though not better than ALAC or WAV/AIFF.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 33
I had 2 other friends that had a Karma and both thought it sounded about the same as the iPod till they figured out how to adjust the parametic EQ right. They just thought max out the settings and go. That and the Auto Gain will ruin the quality. I dont know why thats even there.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 33
flac is lossless so it preserve the exact copy of the original music, its should be the same as wav.

i would say yes there are good portables players out there and i have used many. you state portable, you didnt state exactly what kind, pcdp, minidisc, or dap. there isnt anything perfect. you have to set your priority and know what you're looking for. there's always something to take and and something give. cant have everything. the iaudio x5 almost have everything though.

your ipod is ridden with problem, but not all ipod is like that. i've used 5 hd players and only had hardware issues with one of them (rio karma). maybe i'm in luck but i think hd players issues are sometimes exagerated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back