Any good netbooks?
Jul 20, 2009 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mikemikemike

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Since most of you know so much about audio equipment, I'm sure a lot of you are quite tech-generally-knowledgable, so I was hoping for some help on this issue:

I'm looking to purchase a netbook for school, and the only features I really require are (i) word processing and (ii) web browsing. I was also hoping to get one with an 8.9" screen, and for (hopefully) less than $400.

The one I found that looked nice is the Eee 900A (though I'm not sure where I can purchase one).

I am very ignorant of netbooks specifically, but computers generally, so any information will be of great help/very appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 13
I am thinking of getting one also. FWIR the battery life is dependent on the size of the battery. 3 cell vs 6 cell. I am thinking that the 6 cell lasts longer but is also bigger and heavier. I don't have a netbook yet so maybe someone who actually has one can recommend which battery size to consider.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 13
Here's my choice, the Gateway LT3103u:

lt-series-1.jpg

With 2 GB of RAM and 250 GB hard drive, it's generous enough to run Windows 7 with no problems.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 13
I have a Dell Mini 9 (no longer sold, but the refurbs are cheap). I got it for $213 w/ shipping, and upgraded the RAM to 2GB for $20. The 3 cell battery gives me 3ish hours of life, but I haven't timed it so I'm not quite sure. It runs Windows 7 very nicely as well.

Two caveats that might concern you: first, mine has only 8GB of storage, which is fine for text documents (especially since I use Dropbox for all my school work), but if you also want to store music, that could be a dealbreaker. Second, the keyboard suits me just fine--except for the hellishly located apostrophe key. I've gotten fairly used to it, but it's certainly awkward (although it's possible to remap the keys so it makes a little more sense)

Overall, the Mini 9 has been one of my best purchases, especially for the price I paid. My friend bought a Mini 10, which also seems to be pretty good. Do check those two out.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 13
Love my Eee PC 1000HE. Solid 9 hours of battery life every time, with 2GB of RAM installed and the stock 160GB hard drive. It would have been a true killer if there was a way to get OS X running without killing the WiFi.

I got it for $400 back in the day, but I'm pretty sure they hover around $325 every once in a while. It's in the higher end of the bargain-bin territory known as netbooks until Ion is more widespread (in other words, until never).

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemikemike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,

Since most of you know so much about audio equipment, I'm sure a lot of you are quite tech-generally-knowledgable, so I was hoping for some help on this issue:

I'm looking to purchase a netbook for school, and the only features I really require are (i) word processing and (ii) web browsing. I was also hoping to get one with an 8.9" screen, and for (hopefully) less than $400.

The one I found that looked nice is the Eee 900A (though I'm not sure where I can purchase one).

I am very ignorant of netbooks specifically, but computers generally, so any information will be of great help/very appreciated.

Thank you very much.

I am using a Samsung NC10 which is great but you can get better these days for less money. All netbooks can do web browsing and word processing without a problem and $400 is more than enough. I wouldn't recommend a 8.9" screen one since the keyboards on them are cramped for my taste and all of the latest generation of netbooks are at least 10" or more, so you have to get one from the older generations. The eee 900A is an outdated netbook but you can get one for under $200, here: ASUS EEEPC900A-BFBB01 N270 1.60GHz 8.9in 4GB (SSD) HDD 1GB 802.11b/g Linux Notebook Black Retail at ZipZoomfly . The processing power on netbooks are almost the same, your choice will depend on your priorities on matter such as battery life, size, weight, keyboard and design.

A good source on netbooks is lilliputing.com and checkout their deals section, they update it regularly and find the best deal around. Also check laptopmag.com for in depth reviews.

My recommendation for bang for the buck netbook right now would be the eee 1000H for $250 with free shipping. Great all rounder with good battery life albeit slightly on the thick and heavy side compared to recent models.

asus: Computers Products - Buy.com

You can get better but not at that price, you must at least cough $340 for a comparable or better machine. The best of the recent models would be the eee pc 1005HA or Toshiba NB205, both have better designs, assembly and keyboard than the 1000H. Stellar real battery life of up to 9 hours while web browsing and it can go above 10 hours while word processing (wifi off and screen luminosity decreased), both have the longest and second longest battery life of any netbook. $350 for the 1005HA, the Toshiba starts around the same price and peaks at $399 for the most expensive model.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 13
My friend is getting a Lenovo S10-2, but I'm personally waiting until August, for the Ion-powered version, or any Ion-powered netbook, for that matter.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 13
Sorry for going off topic a bit, but just how powerful are netbooks? Good enough to stream videos, or play dvix/xvid files or play DVD (via external DVD drive)?

nevermind... I went to lilliputing.com and the information I'm looking for seems to be there. Thanks for the link.

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 13
I have eee 901, the price when I buy is, $400

so far, I really satisfy to have this netbook.

I can work and play some online games without any problem (just the screen is too small if you want more experience in game
biggrin.gif
)

hope can help

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemikemike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Went with the refurbished Mini 9. Thanks a lot everyone!

An excellent choice!
biggrin.gif

Have fun with your new lappy, if you have any questions just fire me a PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back