Any good japanese Headphone amp ?
Jun 12, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #19 of 37
There's a lengthy thread on this portable, hand-built tube amp from "Analog Squared Paper" from Japan.  Lot's of information, tube rolling etc:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-squared-paper-discussion-and-appreciation-thread

Designer's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Analog-Squared-Paper-Japan/262588443852940

And the website:  http://www.analog2p.com/index.html

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #20 of 37
Make sure whatever you get will work on international voltages, otherwise you'll have to buy a large and heavy voltage adaptor transformer with the amp, which may compromise sonics.

I think there were about a dozen Japanese manufacturers in one room making amps at the Tokyo headphone festival. Of those I'm not sure many will sell to overseas buyers, but even those that do, the amps are very expensive -- $2k and above at least. Analogue Squared Paper is probably the least expensive.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #21 of 37
Many japanese audiophiles simply belive that "more expensive, is better". So some products are obviously overpriced. But we must consider that the japanese audio market is relatively small (most of manufacturers do not sell to worldwide).

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #22 of 37
Thanks to you all ... Travel day is coming. 2 days left.
Quote:
  X-HA1 is slightly narrow ranged. The characteristic of the HD800 is wide ranged sound, so many people say X-HA1 is mismatched to HD800. I think too.
Furthermore, X-HA1 has a little white noise. When you use high or middle impedance headphone, this noise is not audible. But with low impedance or high sensitivity headphone, slight noise can be heard. When 'Phone Gain Switch' is turned to HIGH position, obvious noise is heard even with Beyer T1. X-HA1 stays cool during operation. It consumes only 9W. I think X-HA1 is good for HD650, HD598, T1.

ORB JADE Casa is also popular. It costs approx. $480. It is single ended only. The unique characteristic of JADE Casa is 'Dynamic Switch'. When this switch is pushed, the alternative opamp is selected, the sound becomes powerful. It is not a tone control circuit. This product becomes very hot. I do not have JADE Casa, but I have JADE-2 Limited, the precursor of Casa. Its sound is mild and slow. It is suitable for relax listening, not for severe monitoring.

I have Blossom BLO-3090, fully balanced amp. But this is discontinued item. 1 year before, the last one is sold at $1000. This is good for balanced HD700.

Mismatch ... hmmmmm and for JADE Casa i been found reviews that it's can go with HD800 and it's price isn't too high. Thanks for this one. Listed and have to find and try. :)

Loud enough to be unacceptable for a $3000 amp. 

Ewwwww then better to pass that one. That may annoy me.

Don't forget the CEC HD53N balanced headphone amp. I have this amp and I love it. 

There's a lengthy thread on this portable, hand-built tube amp from "Analog Squared Paper" from Japan.  Lot's of information, tube rolling etc:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-squared-paper-discussion-and-appreciation-thread

Designer's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Analog-Squared-Paper-Japan/262588443852940

And the website:  http://www.analog2p.com/index.html

Both of this look good price is a bit over my budget but still ok (TUR-06 is about 990usd) many choice on the list thank to both you guy. :)

Ii am happy with luxman p-200. Perhaps a used one?

Yes maybe that have to go and find secondhand market and look for that.

Make sure whatever you get will work on international voltages, otherwise you'll have to buy a large and heavy voltage adaptor transformer with the amp, which may compromise sonics.

I think there were about a dozen Japanese manufacturers in one room making amps at the Tokyo headphone festival. Of those I'm not sure many will sell to overseas buyers, but even those that do, the amps are very expensive -- $2k and above at least. Analogue Squared Paper is probably the least expensive.

No problem i already have that monster! Old but nice one (Made in japan too!) Got that for long time ago from old factory.

Many japanese audiophiles simply belive that "more expensive, is better". So some products are obviously overpriced. But we must consider that the japanese audio market is relatively small (most of manufacturers do not sell to worldwide).

And that was a very sad story. I'm planing to go to japan for about a week maybe carry back if i can.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #23 of 37
Thank for any comment now i'm in Japan. Many of amp show on the shelf but many of them out of stock :frowning2:. But i just got one, it is Fostex HP-A8 and it really cheap here just 790usd (In Thailand they sell over 1400usd)it's a 100v but i found 230v connector inside then some mod would do a trick :D . I will uplaod picture later because i have't bring my laptop here. Thank to you all again :)

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #25 of 37
You can import some amps to Japan. To be 100% honest I have tried to get straight answers out of guys on Head-fi explaining this too me, why 10v matters sometimes and why it doesnt. 
For exampled. I really wanted to pick up a Shiit amp when I was back in the states. I talked to the guys who make it and they said it would absoutly not work in Japan with out a transfomer. 
BUT Then take an amp like the any of the Little Dot series. They also say 120v only. However they are sold in Japan. I emailed them, a chinese company, and they said it would be no problem at all. 
I think your bugjet is way higher than anything I can afford ATM. Most of the stuff people have recommended on here I have not even considered, looked at, or heard of. I ended up with a O2 Dac and Amp. perfect for my needs for now and work just fine as long as you buy the correct AC adapter. I will probably buy a Mk3 or Mk4 Little Dot in the next few months or so. Ganna pick up a Beyer t70 (I didn't realize how cheap they are in Japan! about 30% less than back in the States and after checking CamelCamel I saw they float around 3 and 1/2 man for a few months a year. That is a steal!). 

Fostex HP-A8 is the only amp you guys have mentioned that I have really been excited about. So much overpriced boutique crap in Japan and no telling if its any good. The Carrot One amps??!?! I bet they are not worth 1/3 of what they cost. I live out in the inaka so don't have the chance to try anything out! ONE store has a Fiio amp on display in a noisy store. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #26 of 37
It depends on the maker I think. Some makers put it a low voltage cutoff so even a 15V difference & it wouldn't work. Then there are others where it will work but the bass starts to sound lean. Whilst there are others where there are no differences at all. In other words there's no single answer.

Most distributors who bring in the big names do actually ask the maker to make a 100V version (usually just a transformer jumper setting or switch so not too much of an effort for the makers).

Personally (and for no logical reason other than paranoia) I wouldn't be plugging in a 120V tube amp into a 100V environment. I have a transformer for such devices.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #27 of 37
A lot of solid state gear will work fine under-volted. Tube amps are more risky. They might work, but not properly, with higher distortion and other issues and may end up damaged.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 37
actually now that I saw this thread I am trying to find a decent headphone amp in Japan for under 50,000 yen. 
I can't find one that fits all my needs. Driving me effing mad! 

USB dac would be nice, but having a RCA or 3.5mm out would also be nice so that I could use the dac for other amps. 
I would also like at least one RCA input. 

The TEAC A-H01-S sounds like it will be a beast. It sells for twice as much in the USA too. A steal for 35,000 yen. It has all the inputs I need and I can drive some nice speakers, plus blue tooth. 
Problem is if I want to run a tube amp from time to time, there is no audio out on this thing, so I would have to run an entire seprate dac setup. I have had troubled switching between two different USB dacs. The drivers tend to mess with each other if not flake out completlly. 

I would really have no qualms buying another JDSlab ODAC and then buying a dedicated headphone amp. There are none. Fiio e10. tripple the price in Japan. Fiio E9. only usb input. I need atleast usb + RCA. 

Nuforce Icon DAC. 10,000 yen in Japan. and the TEAC seems like a better deal. 
maybe HP-A7
or Onkyo NR-365

No matter what I can not find one 50,000 product to fit my needs in Japan. 

In the USA, I could put together a Schiit combo that would work fine for 200 bucks. or a zillion other possiblites. 
I just dont understand the audio scene in Japan. Zillions of headphones. but the amp scene is just weird. But DACs coming out of the wood work. 

EDIT: and why the hell can we not find decent cheap stuff like monoprice cables?! I mean... its the simple things that you just cant find in Japan. 
When and if they sell cables its all but 100% impossible to find the impedence of cables. Hell. Even some major firms.... Audio Techinca looking at you... wont even publish the impedence specs of their headphones amps, and I can find no reviews sites, English or Japanese that have measured it. Yet it remains one of the highest selling, most popular amps in Japan. BTW I am looking for an extension for some headphones. Everyone recomends monorpice. I would like to use my IEMs at home but the cables are FAR too short to reach my setup. Any ideas? 

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 37
Sorry, I'm kinda thrown off a little here. Not understanding what you're looking for. You're looking for a headphone amp that could also act as a pre-amp to your tube amp? Or are you looking for a DAC/Amp which could have a line out to your tube amp?

Did you check out the e-earphone site?

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopbrand/010/P/

There's the Furutech ADL A1 for approx Y46,000 but it's line out is a little confusing as it uses the same port as the Headphone out. But according to their website at least it's a headphone out and an analogue line out.

For non-Japanese branded, have a look at the Herus. It's about Y39,000 but cheaper in NA naturally.

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 37

EDIT: and why the hell can we not find decent cheap stuff like monoprice cables?! I mean... its the simple things that you just cant find in Japan. 
When and if they sell cables its all but 100% impossible to find the impedence of cables. Hell. Even some major firms.... Audio Techinca looking at you... wont even publish the impedence specs of their headphones amps, and I can find no reviews sites, English or Japanese that have measured it. Yet it remains one of the highest selling, most popular amps in Japan. BTW I am looking for an extension for some headphones. Everyone recomends monorpice. I would like to use my IEMs at home but the cables are FAR too short to reach my setup. Any ideas? 

Well...

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=1417 (amp output impedence ... check)

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=1390 (cable impedence ... check)

Apparently they don't treat everything equally though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back