Any good japanese Headphone amp ?
Jun 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

taoybb

New Head-Fier
Sorry if i post in wrong place or if this was discussed. And yes sorry about bad eng too

(Or Accessories)

I just planned to go to travel to japan on 17 June so i heard that japanese branded there are cheaper around 20-50%. Now i'm doing a research which amp (or any accessories)should i carry back to pair with my HD800. My first plan is go to Yodobashi and BIC Camera

Anyone any advice or info? My budget is around 1000usd.

Thanks you :)

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 37
Just in case you're not aware of this, Japan runs on 100 volts, so if you plan to use it elsewhere in regions of 117 or 220 volts, you'll burn it up without a step transformer. The price of that might negate any costs you save while buying on site.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 37
Thanks for reply... I live in where the main is 220V but that's not big problem. I already have Step-down transformer because i own some japanese turntable and it use 110VAC.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 37
Supposedly the highly reputable Japanese headphone amps are the Luxman and the Yamamoto HA-02.

Thanks and no other brand? I'm looking at Luxman but it price may over my budget. How about portable amp. Any brand can match up with HD800? I heard they had venturecraft but i check on their site and it said sold out.

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 37
In likelihood it will sound good or at least ok. But generally for the hd800 headphone, if you really want it to shine, a full size amp is more ideal than compared to a portable amp.

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 37
In likelihood it will sound good or at least ok. But generally for the hd800 headphone, if you really want it to shine, a full size amp is more ideal than compared to a portable amp.

Thanks again. Portable amp is just a backup plan or get some japanese cans. (Last plan is get PS4 lol) Thanks again for info. i'll go and check any more info about fostex amp.

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 37
There's been a few more since the Luxmans & Yamamato days. There's Triode, Bakoon (Japan version), Heada, Phasemation, Mass Kobo, Ratoc, Orb, NMode, etc. In the (trans)portable there's Analog Squared Paper, MH Audio, Bispa, Furutech, Ortofon, VentureCraft, Wagnus, Kojo, etc. I'm sure there's lots more I've missed.

I wouldn't even dream of recommending which one to try 'cos if you're in Tokyo, you can try all yourself :D. Ping me if you want to know what shops to go to.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 37
Leben if I remember correctly is based in Japan. Their amps however are not cheap. If there's a shop that sells vintage receiver I think that would be a better buy. Old Yamaha, Merantz, Panasonic etc is pretty well regarded back in the days. Here's an interesting thread that you could read if you've got time. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 37
Leben is indeed a Japanese company.  While some say their integrated amps are legendary as headphone amps, some disagree, mainly because the transformers hum too much due to their close spacings to each other, which is audible through the headphones.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 37
I recommend Nmode X-HA1, 1-bit digital full balanced headphone amplifier. It costs approx. $800.
But X-HA1 is not so good for HD800 (treble is spoiled) and it is very popular so always out of stock.

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 37
Thanks to all reply.

Quote:
  There's been a few more since the Luxmans & Yamamato days. There's Triode, Bakoon (Japan version), Heada, Phasemation, Mass Kobo, Ratoc, Orb, NMode, etc. In the (trans)portable there's Analog Squared Paper, MH Audio, Bispa, Furutech, Ortofon, VentureCraft, Wagnus, Kojo, etc. I'm sure there's lots more I've missed.

I wouldn't even dream of recommending which one to try 'cos if you're in Tokyo, you can try all yourself :D. Ping me if you want to know what shops to go to.

Luxman may cost over my budget and what about Yamamoto? They look so nice. I think i will stay in tokyo for just 2-3 days then move to sapporo. Which do you reccomand? I want a good detail and sound not sharp one, and oh yes good soundstage too. (Any amp sound similar to Audio-gd Master 9?)

And Triode i seen it on yodobashi site but i never heard of them, How good they are?

Leben if I remember correctly is based in Japan. Their amps however are not cheap. If there's a shop that sells vintage receiver I think that would be a better buy. Old Yamaha, Merantz, Panasonic etc is pretty well regarded back in the days. Here's an interesting thread that you could read if you've got time. 

Old receiver can drive headphone good? Thanks for the link (I'm new with these headphone stuff) For old vintage receiver it's easy to find here then i will note this to find when i'm back.

Leben is indeed a Japanese company.  While some say their integrated amps are legendary as headphone amps, some disagree, mainly because the transformers hum too much due to their close spacings to each other, which is audible through the headphones.

Hum? How loud is it?

I recommend Nmode X-HA1, 1-bit digital full balanced headphone amplifier. It costs approx. $800.
But X-HA1 is not so good for HD800 (treble is spoiled) and it is very popular so always out of stock.

$800 hmmmm this one is in my budget. treble is spoiled? This amp a lot of treble?

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 37
X-HA1 is slightly narrow ranged. The characteristic of the HD800 is wide ranged sound, so many people say X-HA1 is mismatched to HD800. I think too.
Furthermore, X-HA1 has a little white noise. When you use high or middle impedance headphone, this noise is not audible. But with low impedance or high sensitivity headphone, slight noise can be heard. When 'Phone Gain Switch' is turned to HIGH position, obvious noise is heard even with Beyer T1. X-HA1 stays cool during operation. It consumes only 9W. I think X-HA1 is good for HD650, HD598, T1.

ORB JADE Casa is also popular. It costs approx. $480. It is single ended only. The unique characteristic of JADE Casa is 'Dynamic Switch'. When this switch is pushed, the alternative opamp is selected, the sound becomes powerful. It is not a tone control circuit. This product becomes very hot. I do not have JADE Casa, but I have JADE-2 Limited, the precursor of Casa. Its sound is mild and slow. It is suitable for relax listening, not for severe monitoring.

I have Blossom BLO-3090, fully balanced amp. But this is discontinued item. 1 year before, the last one is sold at $1000. This is good for balanced HD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back