Any good and cheap headphone amps ?
Jun 5, 2002 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Kryogen

100+ Head-Fier
Gawd, I don't know why the hell headphones amps are like 500-1000+$ US ?

Jee, I mean, for 500$ US you can get a good Denon reciever. Why does a thingie that just amplifies headphones has to be that expensive?

Any suggestions for a cheap but good headphone amp? Like that doesn't distort sound and stuff or buzz, but you know, I don't have golden ears....

Huh, all this audio stuff is just so expensive...

Jun 5, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 24
yes it is expensive but it's a WHOLE lot cheaper than a comperable loudspeaker setup.

If you are intrested in a budget quality headphone amp contact JMT here on the boards or consider a DIY option.

Also, you should check into Meier's Porta Corda or Headroom's Airhead.

Jun 5, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 24
Any plans to make one myself ?
Would it actually be good? How good?

How pricey?

I've got good hands, and soldering stuff, and an electronic store downtown, I could prolly get what I need I guess...

My dad's old harman kardon amp just adds unwanted noise...

Jun 5, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Kryogen
Jee, I mean, for 500$ US you can get a good Denon reciever. Why does a thingie that just amplifies headphones has to be that expensive?

There are cheaper headphone amps like Tangent's. I think he used JMT or CHA47. I'm not sure. But it's surely cheaper than $500.

As for the price, you get what you pay for.
smily_headphones1.gif
It doesn't mean the CHa47 is a bad amp. I think it's a good amp based on the messages here but there are better amps out there and certainly some of them are more expensive too.

Jayel

Jun 5, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Are you kidding! There are forum members who have speaker component systems that cost more than my SUV!
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

That good Denon receiver for $500 is the equivalent of a $60 (or less) headphone amp. The $1000 headphone amp is equivalent to a $5,000 home amp... think of it that way and it makes more sense
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 24
I see.

But what price should I put in an headphone amp if my cans cost 250$ CAN ? (Grado 125). And do I need a spewcial amp or whatever since they are low impendance? And what the hell is low impendance anyways?

Just gimme a price hint, like you should put 150$ can, 200, 100, whatever.

And hum, remember that these phones are plugged into my comp, therefore the sound is already not very good, so using a 200$ amp would be a total and useless waste, imo. Perhaps I'm wrong...

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 24
MM ok thanks.

Actually, I think almost anything could drive em, but my sound card can't.

When I plug em in, the sould is reallllll poor. When I use my dad old harman kardon amp, the sound is much better.

So huh, I'll see, in about a year when I leave home. I'll have some more money by then.

Jun 5, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 24
I'll second the motion for a Tangent or JMT amp. Both of those guys are *really* nice, reputable, excellent builders, and cheap, too!

If you're looking to spend in the $150-$350 range, wait until the META42 design comes out; it blows the Hansen-board-based amps out of the water, especially with an AD8610 upgrade. Heck, I could wildly speculate that it competes with the HeadRoom transportable amps, but I've never heard them properly... IMHO, of course, based on my ETA42 (not META42) board, which is an earlier revision of the design. (META42 == Morsel, Eric343, Tangent, Apheared "42" design, ETA42 == eric343, Tangent, Apheared "42" design. The META42 has features like ClassA mode that the ETA42 dosen't, and probably sounds better)

Jun 6, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 24
I wholeheartedly recommend that you contact JMT and inquire into his building you an Altoid amp. You will spend considerably less than $500 and you will not regret your purchase.

Yes, there are more expensive and "better" amps, but I think for your needs an Altoid would be just what you require. I have had one for two weeks now (exclusively for portable use) and couldn't be happier with it. As far as I'm concerned, there is no better deal (price/performance) around than JMT. Unless, of course, you have the skills to build it yourself, which I do not!

BTW, the old (early 90's - not sure about the current models) Adcom stereo preamps featured excellent headphone amps. So for around $500-800 (depending on the model) you would get both an amazing home preamp as well as a headphone amp that would satisfy just about anyone. Perhaps current Rotel, NAD and Adcom preamps are comparable in the headphone amp department.

Still, $500-800 (or more) is a heck of a lot more than a JMT amp.

Jun 6, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 24
I'll check into that next year I guess. It depends of a few things.... 1: if my dad gives me the amp and speakers + cd player (old system downstairs, but useful to watch tv and ****, but the TV will prolly be gone too ;P (downstairs).

So huh, if I can't get these, I'll have to shop for an amp, and then I'll see how much I can put on this depending on how much money I have, car cost, and ****..

Jun 6, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

But what price should I put in an headphone amp if my cans cost 250$ CAN ? (Grado 125)...Just gimme a price hint, like you should put 150$ can, 200, 100, whatever.

I have two approx. US$800 amps for my US$300 headphones (HD600). The old rule of thumb (spend half of your budget on the speakers) becomes less important with headphones.

Might I suggest that you should be telling us how much you can or want to spend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back