Any genres where the Sony V6 beats the Senn HD580?
Nov 18, 2001 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Well, I don't know about "pretty well", but "better than the 580's", definitely.

confused.gif

We're talking about the HD580s and the V6s. Relative to the HD580s, the V6s block out ambient noise pretty well. That's all I was getting at. I didn't recall anyone mentioning Etys...

Russ "The Peripatetic Audiophile"

Nov 18, 2001 at 5:52 AM Post #17 of 27
DesBen:

Ok. When I read

[One could reword the question: for what music style is a $69 headphone better than a $200 pair? See what I'm getting at..?
wink.gif
]

I thought you implied that Techno, trance etc. would be better on a cheaper headphone.

Anyway, have you heard John "Quivver" Graham?
He produces under different aliases:
eg.
Space Manoeuvres - Stage One (Total Separation Mix)
Quivver - And She Does
Stoneproof - Everything's Not You

and often with Parks & Wilson; as Tilt
Tilt - I Dream, Invisible, Angry Skies

The guy's a damn genius in the studios.

Hopefully his mixing skills are up to scratch in Transport 5.

Nov 18, 2001 at 6:01 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
You're kidding, right?

No, not kidding.

The point I was trying to make is that I don't think V6/7506's block out external noise "pretty well" on an absolute scale.

If you don't believe me, try the following experiment. Put them on. Make sure no music is running through them. Have someone talk to you.

I don't know about you, but I didn't need to take them off to have a conversation. That, to me, does not count as blocking out external noise "pretty well".

Relative to the 580's (which are open), yes they do (block out external noise...better).

Sorry for being such a pedant. It's what we do. I was only trying to make the distinction between absolute vs. relative. When reviewing phones, such language is crucial, lest you lead someone down the wrong path. I realize the original poster encapsulated the world into two choices, but other people who happen by and read the same post might be coming from a different set of choices.

Nov 18, 2001 at 6:13 AM Post #19 of 27
Heh... about the sound isolation thing... I can put on earplugs and people can still talk to me. Meh.
rolleyes.gif

I dunno... at 20 I definitely count as the 'younger' audience
biggrin.gif
So does the V6 suit my tastes more? I suppose it has more bass extension too
smily_headphones1.gif

But Jan's deal on the Porta Corda + HD580 is really attractive... I mean I wouldn't be saving much if I buy the P. Corda and the V6 instead
eek.gif

But then it would seem to me that you can mail-order the HD580 for $115 or lower from Europe now as well
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 18, 2001 at 6:21 AM Post #21 of 27
Yah, the problem is that by the standard of not hearing conversation when having them put on and not playing music, even my EX70 and even bona fide earplugs have 'poor' isolation
rolleyes.gif

Then again I can appreciate the point that circumaural seal earphones (from my experience with the one I have) do not isolate as well as canalphones (again from my experience with the one I have
rolleyes.gif
)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 18, 2001 at 6:51 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Really?

I thought there were fantastic in regards to isolatiing external noises?

They are pretty good for closed cans -- probably around -10 to -15 dB. However, most closed cans are just that -- "pretty good." No closed headphone can compare to the Etys, which offer -25 to -29 dB.

Nov 18, 2001 at 7:04 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by tktran
Really?

I thought there were fantastic in regards to isolatiing external noises?

Um...(smirk)...yes, really.

No, I'm not comparing them to canalphones -- never tried them -- I'm comparing them to my Beyer DT770 Pro's. With which I can have a conversation only if the other person is shouting. Or I am lip-reading. (Sorry, don't know what that maps to in dB, but I really doubt the V6/7506 attenuate by 15dB.)

Oh, and just for the record, I am talking about an unmodded V6/7506. I'm sure they're better with the Beyer pads.
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 27
The V6 isolation... I too think it's good, but not phenomenal. On city bus, the engine noise easily overpowers them. Sitting next to a busy road at rush hour also does it. When it gets really loud around, the first thing that seems to go is the bass. And overall, the amount of detail decreases. Then when it gets quiet again (cars hit a red light), the bass comes back with slam and authority.

And now, for a bit of controversy: the V700DJ offer more isolation.
biggrin.gif

Tktran,

I was simply trying to point out that comparing $69 headphones to $200 might not be too fair. One could expect the $200 ones to sound better in every respect. Well, V6 are awesome value and I do think that for some styles, they can be more enjoyable than the HD580.

About Quivver.. I have a few of his 12" at home (including "And She Does"). Let me tell you that I am eagerly awaiting Transport 5 to hit my local CD stores.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2001 at 7:15 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

I think a lot of people have misconceptions that brightness is in the frequency range where a lot of old guys have hearing loss as in the 15khz+ range. Brightness probably occurs much much lower...

Yes, brightness does occur a lot lower then 15Khz - a big spike around 15Khz would probably give some stuff a somewhat steely quality.

Brightness occurs more in the lower treble/mid treble area, probably more like 5-12Khz or so

Nov 18, 2001 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 27
Yes the V700DJ offer fantastic isolation. I don't know how many dB, but when I put them on I IMMEDIATELY notice that they clamp like a vise, and provide a very good seal around my ears.

There's no controversy in the V700DJ's isolation. Maybe in it's price, but not in ability to function as a DJ's headphone.

Nov 18, 2001 at 8:29 PM Post #27 of 27
Wow! So they even provide "isolation" from the music one tries to listen to as well as external noise!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back