Any cyclists out there that have any recommendations for headphones?
May 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 32
I just don't understand the need for headphones 24/7. There's a greater world out there for you to enjoy. Headphones are great, but don't get obsessed with them to the point of endangering your life. 

May 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #17 of 32
I can't imagine wearing headphones while biking, I get a little nervous every time a car drives by me. Not knowing when a car was passing me? I'd probably have a mental breakdown 
basshead.gif

May 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
I just don't understand the need for headphones 24/7. There's a greater world out there for you to enjoy. Headphones are great, but don't get obsessed with them to the point of endangering your life. 

Well I ride for two hours a day not 24/7. Some days I don't listen to music at all. Also I am enjoying the greater world out there...cycling is an outdoor activity. I bet I see much more of the outdoors than most head-fiers.

If the sound is so loud you can't hear traffic then you are an idiot. My volume is low. Low enough to hear cars behind me. I use my eyes to see what's around me. I follow road rules and ride responsibly.

If you aren't smart enough to utilise earphones on a bike in a safe way than you shouldn't be riding at all. Hopefully adults can make the decision for themselves.

May 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 32
Well,
Without a helmet a grado would be ideal, since it blocks zero sound and allows you to hear outside too and is quite light.
With a helmet.... probably only a small iem would fit. (or earbud since it's open and normally flat)

Safety wise, do evaluate it yourself as your situation only you would know best and it may change anytime.

Happy listening,

May 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #22 of 32
About the helmet aspect, cycling helmets apparently don't do much above about 20kph, I hit 30 easily on the flat. I've never used my halo headphones(they are effectively headband stuffed with 36mm drivers) a on the bike, might try it tomorrow night(I mostly ride at night, safer due to good lights)

May 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:
If the sound is so loud you can't hear traffic then you are an idiot. My volume is low. Low enough to hear cars behind me. I use my eyes to see what's around me. I follow road rules and ride responsibly.

Hearing the traffic is one thing, it's another thing entirely to have a good idea of where cars are behind you. For me, I think any sort of music, low volume or not, would limit my ability to judge their distance behind me. I wouldn't feel safe on the road and where I bike tends to have little traffic. If you feel like you're capable however, then more power to you. 

May 18, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #24 of 32
I go out and walk with open backed on-ears.....either Sennheiser PX90s or Ultrasone HFI-15Gs. Having been hit by cars twice years ago while riding a bicycle, I'm determined  to hear the traffic. I keep the volume relatively low, and if there is enough traffic to start drowning out the music, I'll just pause it, rather than crank it up and blast away my hearing...and I do tend to go out either late at night or early in the morning when there is less chance of traffic (carrying a flashlight for when the occasional car does go by).

But on a bicycle....no way. 

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #25 of 32
This is exactly when I am using them- On bike paths. I would NEVER wear headphones on the road where hearing is very important. By the way, Sorry everyone for not replying in this thread once. I completely forgot I had a head-fi account until yesterday 
size]

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:
Derp- And I just realized this thread hasn't been active in 2 months..

Two months is no big deal. If it had been two years, then we might have given you some grief. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #28 of 32
We've seen year old threads pick right back up, if the response is relevant then it would just sprint back to life, if not then it would be beating on a dead horse.
So back on topic, have you decided what headphone to get for cycling on the bike paths? :p

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #29 of 32
I recently got a Galaxy s4 and I really liked the ear tips from the stock headphones, So I ripped those off, put those on my JVC xtreme xplosive earbuds (Got them for a gift, I would never buy them myself- Too much bass and lack of clarity), And then replaced the foam/cloth covering the drivers with a higher quality one. Next, I am going to add a remote to the cord. Frankenstein in the making 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back