Any cooks here?
Sep 26, 2002 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

neil

500+ Head-Fier
I love to cook. Breakfast is really my bag. The standard is just scrambled eggs, turkey sausage and some whole wheat toast or fresh French bread; however, the standard deviations are pancakes with variations (i.e. blueberry + cornmeal, whole wheat banana walnut, etc.), French toast, omelettes, etc. So on my kitchen counter is my dry ingredient mixing bowl, liquid mixing bowl, and my notebook with CooksRecipes.com loaded up on my browser. (I have a horrible memory for even the most simple recipes)

I don't venture into dinner much -- my wife does that, and quite well might I add. How about the rest of you? Any cooks out there? What's your signature dish?

Sep 26, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 45
Whole wheat banana walnut pancakes -- mind FedEx'ing a short stack to Texas?

I make the best chili in the world. Otherwise, I only know how to follow directions on the back of a box--and even then only barely. Remember, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is a complete meal--you can tell, it says "Dinner" right there on the box.

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 45
I make a killer spaghetti sauce from sratch. Also a sherry wine cake that goes great with it for dessert.

....it's all about the dessert.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 45
New cookware is in my future. I've been eyeing some Allclad stuff -- looking for a stainless set that won't make me go broke, yet will last a good 10 years. I like the All-Clad Copper Core stuff. Looks sweet.

Sep 26, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 45
Rice cooker
Stir fry pan

That's all I need. Down-and-dirty every-day cooking rather than fancy recipe meals with rampant ingredient-proliferation.

That's where I stand.

Kitchen equipment catalogs are evil. Can set you back worse than Head-Fi. But eveybody should invest in a good knive.

One day, when I am rich and famous I am going to get myself one of those fuzzy-logic super-hyper-miracle Japanese rice cookers. But it doesn't look like that will be anytime soon.

Sep 26, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
New cookware is in my future. I've been eyeing some Allclad stuff -- looking for a stainless set that won't make me go broke, yet will last a good 10 years. I like the All-Clad Copper Core stuff. Looks sweet.

Hey Neil.

Try this

Best

Ari

Sep 26, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 45
I can cook anything! *

* in a microwave

Sep 26, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 45
Deep fried turkey, Hooter's style wings (not the same as going there). Anything on the Weber grill. Grilled swordwfish with curry butter.

Sep 26, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 45
Freshly picked corn cooked over charcoal
A special macaroni salad that I make that puts others to shame.
Grilled vegetables
Followed up with a beef tenderloin grilled rare.

Served on the deck with a bottle of Merlot

Sep 26, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 45
Jumbo Shrimp, "vested" (involved) in a very thin slice of Crudo Ham di Parma, grilled for 5 minutes and served with sour fresh natural yogurt and red pepper "butter". Add rice....

Ari

Sep 26, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 45
My expertise is Vegetarian food.

I have made meat lovers bow to me. I guess the traditional cooking I learnt from my Mom paid off after all. Originally my Mom learnt it from Grandma. Something like being passed down from generation to generation.

For almost as far as I can remember I have been cooking at home. Restaurants are something we visit maybe once a weekend. Fastfood joints? No way.

All food is cooked fresh ... vegetables, spices, herbs etc. are bought on a need basis. Hmmm ... maybe I should open up a restaurant like one of my guests suggested.

Remember "Good food not only feeds the body but also feeds the soul"

Never compromise on food.

Sep 26, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 45
I want to plug the infomercial wonder: the Showtime rotisserie.

Whole chickens are usually very inexpensive. After a good cleaning in the sink you hog tie the chicken and then skewer it. Load it into the rotisserie, set the time (45-60min), and then come back later to a beautifully cooked and colored chicken. I'm very satisfied with this gadget.

p.s. to clean vegetables and meats you can add a cap full of Clorox bleach into a gallon of water and let the food soak in it for about 15 minutes. Drain the sink and rinse the food well with fresh water. most foods need some sort of cleaning before being cooked. personally i never cook grocery store meat without soaking it first.

Sep 27, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 45
We do whole chickens on the Weber. They stuffed with lemons, rubbed with oil and seasoned with taragon. Awesome. The Webber website (weird) has a recipe for beer can chicken. I think it's half a can of beer you stand the chicken up on it and cook it that way. Have yet to try that one.
http://www.weber.com/Public_Weber/homepage.asp

Can you tell I love my Weber???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back