Any Coaxial S/PDIF cables that fit into Audigy 2 ZS sound card?
Dec 27, 2004 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LINKUZZZ

Head-Fier
Can anyone tell me what coaxial S/PDIF cables will fit into a Audigy 2 ZS sound card?

Note: I will be buying the E-MU 1820 in a few months, but need those cables right now.

Dec 28, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 14
You just need either the drive bay thingy for it, which has standard optical and coaxial digital outputs, or (I think) a 1/8" mono mini jack to RCA converter to plug into one of the digital outputs on the back of the card. You should be able to pick that up at your local Radio Shack. Then you just use a standard digital coax cable.

Dec 28, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LINKUZZZ
Can anyone tell me what coaxial S/PDIF cables will fit into a Audigy 2 ZS sound card?

Note: I will be buying the E-MU 1820 in a few months, but need those cables right now.

The onboard digital output jack of the Audigy 2 ZS carries 3 SPDIF signals i.e. 6 audio channels. The jack is like a mini-headphone jack with an additional pole. If you only need one digital stereo-signal, like you would get when you set the drivers to headphone-mode, you can get away with connecting a simple mini to RCA converter to the Audigys digital out and you will have the desired signal at on one of the RCAs which you can simply plug into your DAC. I use that setup myself and it works great. If you need more channels than stereo things may get more complicated as you probably need a special converter-cable.

Hope that helps a little.

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Hmmm, Philips must have removed it. Anyway does "coaxial S/PDIF digital audio cable" mean anything to u or is it to general? I need one of these things to connect and fit into my sound card. Without one I won't be able to test the HP 1500 Dolby Headphone unit I bought.

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 14
I already gave you your answer. I'll be a bit more detailed. Head to Radio Shack.

Buy these:
Inline adapter
RCA cable

Plug the adapter into one of the digital outputs on your card. Plug one end of the cable into the adapter and then the other into the "Digital in" port on your unit there. Tell your Audigy to output in stereo (2 speaker or headphone mode), and then tell your DVD playing software to pass any Dolby Digital or DTS information through the S/PDIF port instead of decoding it directly.

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

You just need either the drive bay thingy for it, which has standard optical and coaxial digital outputs, or (I think) a 1/8" mono mini jack to RCA converter to plug into one of the digital outputs on the back of the card. You should be able to pick that up at your local Radio Shack. Then you just use a standard digital coax cable.

It is called a "breakout box" and brings all the connections to the front for easy access.A DIY "panel" is a solution that is not difficult at all to build.

Dec 29, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LINKUZZZ
Hmmm, Philips must have removed it. Anyway does "coaxial S/PDIF digital audio cable" mean anything to u or is it to general? I need one of these things to connect and fit into my sound card. Without one I won't be able to test the HP 1500 Dolby Headphone unit I bought.

The suggestions made by Helter Skelter sound about right to me. With that setup you will access the first SPDIF signal carrying the two front channels or headphone stereo depending on the driver settings. If I'm not mistaken the Audigy can also pass through a DVDs Dolby Digital stream on this SPDIF output which is probably what you really need for testing the HP 1500.

Good luck and let us know how you like the HP 1500.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 14
I am trying to connect my Audigy 2 value to my 1212m with either

A2 s/pdif -> mono minitele->RCA adapter -> RCA -> 1212m s/pdif in

or

A2 s/pdif -> minitele->RCA cable (trying both L and R channel) -> 1212m s/pdif in

but I get no sound. I've tried changing the A2 from headphone to 2 speaker output, and I've insterted a strip called "PCI card S/PDIF L/R" and a peak meter on it, but it shows no signal whatsoever. have I missed something? is there some way to set the A2's s/pdif to "out"? the only settings I found (in the Creative audio console, which - of course - only works when I disble the E-MU in device manager) were one that changed the output from 48KHZ to 44.1 (did that), and one which changes between internal and external decoding for DTS (or something like that)..

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Dogday, do you have "digital output only" enabled? Go to the "sounds and audio devices" in ctrl panel, click "advanced" under "device volume", and enable "advanced controls" from the options menu. There should be a checkbox for that setting in the now visible advanced controls panel.

As for Patchmix, I'm using a slightly modified default 44.1 session, and never once touched the S/PDIF settings.

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Dogday, do you have "digital output only" enabled? Go to the "sounds and audio devices" in ctrl panel, click "advanced" under "device volume", and enable "advanced controls" from the options menu. There should be a checkbox for that setting in the now visible advanced controls panel.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was looking for something like that, since I've seen a friend using that to enable digital out on his Audigy, but I do not have that option! The only thing I can do is change bass and treble levels. Anyhow, if I have to disable analog out every time I want digital out, It's not that interesting anymore, since I'll hook up a Megaworks setup to the Audigy 2 and the SPDIF option was a solution that I was going to use to simplify things (getting the Audigy 2 to output to my headamp (using the 1212m as link) without having to use the Megaworks headphone out/split the A2's front out), not complicate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back