???Any Carbon Fibre or Kevlar Headphone Drivers???
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

E8ArmyDiver

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a HUGE fan of these exotic materials for use in speaker drivers & wonder if there are any headphones using these materials for their drivers?

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm a HUGE fan of these exotic materials for use in speaker drivers & wonder if there are any headphones using these materials for their drivers?
IEM - Shouer Soloist? 😅

Although more seriously, isn’t the kevlar/CF in a speaker used for the Cone? That is, larger surface area and not domes?

Even large headphone drivers are very tiny in comparison and probably benefit from other characteristics..

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 14
IEM - Shouer Soloist? 😅

Although more seriously, isn’t the kevlar/CF in a speaker used for the Cone? That is, larger surface area and not domes?

Even large headphone drivers are very tiny in comparison and probably benefit from other characteristics..
Vandersteen has 2 models using Carbon Fibre dome tweeters & in all my life I've NEVER heard better treble from a dynamic speaker..The Liquid Kevlar/silicon sounds like something I might try.I have ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers using nearly the exact same configuration in a 10" tall cabinet that sounds like a HUGE monitor...

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 14
I think Kennerton makes some.
Thanks for the reply,received an email response today from Kennerton
"We use carbon fiber in the drivers of Kennerton Thekk and Thror headphones"....I must admit I'm having a hard time picturing the drivers as I thought all planar magnetic drivers were plastic membrane?

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 14
So Kennerton ONLY uses CF in the frames,NOT the actual drivers & the new iBasso is "Bio Cellulose" NOT CF or Kevlar so no idea how they will sound but not what I was looking for..

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 14
So Kennerton ONLY uses CF in the frames,NOT the actual drivers & the new iBasso is "Bio Cellulose" NOT CF or Kevlar so no idea how they will sound but not what I was looking for..

The older iBasso SR1 is bio-cellulose and is semi-open. The upcoming fully open SR2 is using carbon fiber driver membranes unless that information is wrong. The only other headphone I can think of is the Ora that is using graphene, but not all the backers haven’t gotten a pair.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 14
The older iBasso SR1 is bio-cellulose and is semi-open. The upcoming fully open SR2 is using carbon fiber driver membranes unless that information is wrong.
From the only actual review I can find.Do you know something they do not?
"The inside of the iBasso SR2 headphones uses dynamic drivers. It is mounted on a silicone base that helps absorb vibration. For the diaphragm it will be IBasso's Bio-Cellulose dome diaphragms technology uses Tesla magnetic flux technology"....

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 14
From the only actual review I can find.Do you know something they do not?
"The inside of the iBasso SR2 headphones uses dynamic drivers. It is mounted on a silicone base that helps absorb vibration. For the diaphragm it will be IBasso's Bio-Cellulose dome diaphragms technology uses Tesla magnetic flux technology"....

I’ve seen places saying both carbon fiber and bio-cellulose actually so not sure what’s going on there, seems to be miscommunication going on. Will have to wait till the actual drivers have photos. This place which seems to sell them says carbon fiber. Also the head-fi thread mentioned them being carbon fiber.

https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/ibasso-sr2-semi-open-back-headphone-released

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Unboxing tonight

Attachments

• 513A7E8C-F5EA-4896-8158-C40BD42E5584.jpeg
    513A7E8C-F5EA-4896-8158-C40BD42E5584.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Aug 3, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back