Any body using or used Consonance Cyber 20?
Jun 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GAT474

New Head-Fier
I'm just wondering if any one is using or has used a Consonance (Opera Audio) Cyber 20 headphone amp?

I couldn't resist temptation a couple of weeks ago and picked up one second hand from another Head Hifier in Australia. It came with another pair of tubes being a pair of JJ EL84's. I've paired it with a pair of Sennheiser 600's which also came in second hand but only open boxed and no use at all.
My main system is comprised of a Primare I30 integrated, Legend Kantu speakers (Australian make and RRP of $5000), an Opera Audio Droplet cdp, a pair of Rythmik Audio DS12 servo subs and a Velodyne SMS1 sub controller.

I've tried to match my system as best as possible for the money and I think, well did think, that it's not too bad. That was until the cyber 20/Senn 600 set up came along. The Cyber gets cd signal from the Droplet via the rca.

Sound is sensational over the cans and I'm more inclined to listen to them rather than the main system. The only thing missing is the physical sensation from large mains and a pair of subs.

My question is has/is anybody using the Cyber 20 and how does it compare to other gear at a comparative price. I think the Aus price is about $800 for the Cyber 20 and a couple of years ago it was $600US.

Has anybody had success in tube rolling and what are those experiences.

Thanks for your help.

Glen.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes I use a Cyber 20 headphone amplifier with my Audio Technica AT AD1000 headphoines and as you commented the sound from this ampilfier is excellent, I love valve amps, the output valve el84 is regarded as one of the best and sweetest valves used for audio made famous in the Leak Stereo 20 amp (still highly regarded today), I don't know if you realise or not but the Cyber 20 uses this valve in a triode single ended connection and is coupled to the headphones via a transformer, there aren't many headphones amps with this type of connection, a true audiophile product, I should also say it is well constructed and good to look at, pity the valve glow can't be seen more easily when working, I almost sold mine recently I'm glad I didn't as it is a great headphone amp which doesn't cost the earth.

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 5
Haven't been hanging out here for a long time. I've been playing with my main rig most of the time these days. I come here once in a while to see what's going on in the world of headphones.

This amp had garnered quite a bit of discussion a few years ago after it was reviewed on Positive Feedback. I had also posted my impression as well. I've experimented tons of tubes. It is a great tube amp. Try some NOS tubes, they will make this amp sing. I still have mine. It's sitting in my study room. I just haven't been using my headphones as much as I used to.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 5
I have heard the Cyber 20 with some NOS tubes, indeed it is very nice.

I opted instead for a Cyber 30, though, using 2A3 tubes. Even though the newer version of the Cyber 30 wasn't true SET as far as I remember, it was still just wonderful sounding. Did end up selling it, and this is the only tube headphone amp I regret selling.

The Cyber 20 & 30 are rated for low impedance phones, but I think the 30 liked higher better.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Skullguise,

With your Cyber 30, do you hear a low background hum? I also have a Cyber 30. Besides the stock Chinese tubes, I also have a pair of Sovtek 2A3s, and a pair of NOS RCAs. The hum is present with all three sets of tubes. I played around with the biasing. it lowers the hum, but does not get rid of it entirely. Just wondering if other owners have the same experience.

FrankC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back