Any Aussies interested in ordering Etymotics from Head Room
Mar 13, 2002 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nicwix

Survey says....
To all Australians

I am keen to purchase Etymotic ER-6 earphones from Head Room. The cost is US$117, however shipping via Fedex adds another US$40!!! - a lot extra when you convert to A$.

I wondered if any fellow Australians would be interested in place a combined order and sharing the shipping costs. I am located in Sydney, but location anywhere in Australia is fine.

Please respond if there is interest.

Nic
ps Cross-posted on Headwize

Mar 13, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 9
I wish I could afford it!
Then again, I wouldn't mind having a listen before forking out the cash, pity noone wants to share their Etys.. and I don't know any locals with a pair
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 9
And with the money it would cost me to get to Melbourne just to try them out... I could buy a pair and just throw them out if I didn't like them
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Planar

1. Where/how did you buy your ER4S's?

2. How do they compare to your Philips HP890, HD590, Sony MDR-DS5000 and ATH-W2002 ?

3. Don't you feel the urge to buy some ER-6's too (why stop at 5 phones)?

Nix

Mar 14, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 9
1. I bought it right from Headroom, together with the TotalAirhead as a combo package. The service of headroom is good so don't worry about your order. Actually, if you don't have a amp yet, you can get their combo (headphone + amp) at a good price. So this way you can save some shipping.

2.W2002 is a class of its own. You can "feel" the singer standing in front of the microphone and "feel" the presence of the recording room! Now that is detail. ER4S vs W2002. ER4S's netural character makes it my No. 1 headphone if I want to rate all of them. That doesn't means W2002 isn't worth the money. As mentioned, the detail reproduction of W2002 is outstanding too ( in fact it approaches the level of detail of ER4S). W2002 has wonderful midband with a "king of lower frequency response" that everyone has been saying so. With W2002, the female vocal feels so close that you might think she wants to kiss you (i mean the distance). The high frequency of W2002 is somewhat "colored" go give you a "elf" feel (sorry but I really don't know how to explain it) so if we use neturality as the measurement, then W2002 isn't as good as ER4S.

HP890 vs ER4S - well you really can't compare these two guys here. It is not fair. Er4s certainly wins but this kind of difference is due to the design, rather than the quality. All I can say is that HP890 has a hint of ER4S's neturality and clarity (just a hint).

HD590 vs ER4S. As you know, XCan with Senn pairs well. So it is. The soundstage, netual reproduction (not as netural as ER4S of course) etc makes it so enjoyable out of Xcan. However, comparing a canal phone to a open phone is meaning less anyway. HD590 is brighter than ER4s but not overly bright.

Sony MDR5000 - it cheap (at least when i paid it), it has strong specification but it sounds cheap too. I wasn't understand headphone at all when I bought it. It's good for movies, but so so and so so for music. I try to get rid of it now.

Orginally I just want to buy a close-headphone (like DT831, for example). But the goddamm HiFi shop show me the W2002 and let me try it for a hour, which is a bad thing for a guy out of budget. After much negotiation and barganing, I got it at a price that still ok for me. Now I am paying back the bill for my credit card so for another 6 month I can't buy anything at all.
mad.gif
Sorry mate.. but overspending need times to save it all up again.

Perhaps I'll save up for a Max out home for Headmaster to feed the W2002 later...
smily_headphones1.gif
Because XCan v2 dosesn't like W2002 when you compare them with HD590

Mar 14, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 9
I've just ordered a (replacement) pair of ER-4S (last ones were stolen). If they haven't shipped them yet they may be able to piggyback the order.

I'm in North Sydney.

Mar 14, 2002 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 9
Planar

Thanks for detailed review.

I too would be out of control when it comes to HiFi in general and headphones in particular - but "fortunately" my wife keeps me under control.
frown.gif

Nix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back