Any articles/guides for a $300 budget?
Mar 6, 2006 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AgaBoogaBoo

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to spend $200-$300 for a headphone setup including any amplification that may be needed/desired. I'm looking for ones that go over my ears as well.

I have no issue reading a lot and researching it but don't know where to start to be honest. I can't take my current setup to the dorms and that's my main issue. I've got the Paradigm Studio 60's with an SVS 25-31 PC+ subwoofer driven by an HK AVR 335.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 9
If you're looking for a guide to headphones, you've found it
icon10.gif
the search button is your friend.

If you want actually helpful advice, you're going to have to give us some more info. Do you want the setup to be portable or not? What format is your music in (mp3, cd, wax cylinders)? Do you need isolation - probably if you're at a dorm. And finally, what kind of music do you listen to, and what kind of sound are you looking for. As for my own half-assed suggestion, I'd say:

Portable, isolation, bulky
Panasonic CT579v --> AudioTechnica A900

Portable, isolation, non-bulky
iPod Shuffle --> Ultimate Ears super.fi 5pro

Home, open, no amp
Your computer --> Sennheiser HD595

Home, open, amp
Toshiba SD3980 --> DIY Pimeta w/bass boost --> AKG K501

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about - I've only heard the first combination, and am just pulling the rest out of my ass. It's kind of fun inventing these little fantasy setups, though.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 9
This will be for a home environment, won't really be using these for travel although I want something comfortable. If I use them for home use then I don't care about how bulky they are as long as they're comfortable, if I can find ones that will serve me well for travel as well then that is a definite plus however the main purpose will be in a dorm room and not moved around much if at all so portability is not an issue.

The main source will be a computer, I have lots of high quality files that I will play it from. I think I should probably get some kind of amplification and have no issue with DIY amps or even a used amplifier. I listen to a lot of classic and light rock along with hard rock as well, just need something good all around with a nice amount of bass.

Let me know what other information will be helpful and I'll be glad to give it, I'm pretty new to headphone equipment.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 9
You should probably upgrade your soundcard to start with - an emu0404 for $100 seems to be a good budget option. If you want a decent amp, you could find a used Pimeta or something similar for another $100. But then you're only left $100 for headphones, and your options are more limited. Personally, I'd go with a better quality, $200 headphone that sounds good without an amp, like an ATH-A900 (if you need isolation), HD-595 (if you don't), or an SR-225 (if you want to annoy your roommates
icon10.gif
).

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 9
I have a decent audio card actually, the AV710. It's not the best and since I primarily just use the optical output I could be wrong however for now I'd like to just leave it alone.

When you mention the SR-225 being annoying, what do you mean? Will they just hear a lot of the sound?

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgaBoogaBoo
When you mention the SR-225 being annoying, what do you mean? Will they just hear a lot of the sound?

They leak like crazy.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Sounds like you need something more trans-portable, than purely portable?

Source= Vintage PCDP. I'm partial to Panasonic MASH players for their warm smooth character. I use my Magnavox / Philips units for a more agressive / dynamic sound. Great bang for the Buck and better SQ than any other portable format I have tried... IMHO. Search Ebay for countless under $30 deals.

Cans: HD580, MS1, K240, K501... theyre all good. Its a matter of preference.

Amp: Pimeta, mint or millet hybrid. Search the F/S forum for used gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back