Any Aphex Twin fans around?
Feb 5, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #16 of 34
 I just wish the tracks weren't MP3.

They were produced by a self-taught kid on mostly analogue gear in home-built studios, and recorded to tape. I'm not sure you're going to be missing much only having them in 320 kbps MP3
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #17 of 34
  I downloaded the zip again last night but I think it was updated again so maybe from now on I will just get the individual files. I'm sure 320 is plenty for Richards left overs right, at least its higher than the Syro I got off iTunes and that sounds pretty good to me. Of course I was going to get it on CD but I had to get something with the iTunes gift cards I got for Xmas.
normal_smile .gif
 After I used up the last $10 that Acoustic Instruments was released.

Loaded up last nights zip to the iPod so Im a little closer to actually giving it a listen, maybe tonight. So any keepers so far?

I'm struggling to keep up at the moment! Too much new stuff ...

I've mostly been listening to the first 30 or so tracks he uploaded, and a few are real stand-outs: 8 Utopia, Quad Rave TEAC, 1 Chink 101, 10 Bcr78, Afx OrigTheme,  20 Pink Floyd, ...

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #18 of 34
Oh, and I've found a couple attempts to categorise/annotate the tracks, which might be of interest:

https://rareafx.wordpress.com/aphex-twin-old-dat-and-cassette-demos-soundcloud-jan-2015/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ouNaaVrNp60Ib34Kp0TO1n1XSc7-9DvfiZ9ZiTiD2c/edit#gid=0

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 34
Up to 150 tracks on the download now but for some reason a track called fmsubbass doesn't download.

Listening to Heliosphan Live right now.

Like, wow! acid breakbeats galore over that gorgeous swooping synth.

Yeah.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #20 of 34
I made a very small dent in it last night and was surprised to hear some decent stuff like "1 Human Rotation". I was also surprised by the names that can be pronounced. Then today I was surprised that Amazon had Syro on Vinyl for $10.58 for a while but it went back to $40.

Yay!

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #21 of 34
  Up to 150 tracks on the download now but for some reason a track called fmsubbass doesn't download.

Listening to Heliosphan Live right now.

Like, wow! acid breakbeats galore over that gorgeous swooping synth.

Yeah.

fmsubbass erroneously failed Soundcloud's copyright detection system and the link was removed but I managed to grab an HD download. I also got the two tracks that were subsequently removed - Red Calx and Girl Boy Dark Version - but only in 128. You can grab all three here.

There's 5 new tracks been put up on the Soundcloud page too.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #22 of 34
They were produced by a self-taught kid on mostly analogue gear in home-built studios, and recorded to tape. I'm not sure you're going to be missing much only having them in 320 kbps MP3 :wink:

I have recorded that way and the bass can be a little warmer and fuller in lossless. Just my opinion.

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #24 of 34
Holy tape saturation batman! This archival release is awesome. Listening to it with my WA3. Tubes, tape dropout, and saturation...what a combination :)
FmsubBass-189349132 (320kbps) and both versions of Red Calx (4 Red Calx and 4 Red Calx[slo]) and 5 Girl Boy Dark Version are in the monster zip file posted on page 1.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 34
I had a feeling I should have downloaded that zip file again while I still had the chance. Still have a lot to get through anyways.

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #26 of 34
Was that ip address his server or did someone else put that up? Also have you guys seen the stuff that went up on bandcamp?

Edit: Deleted links to fakes. Didn't look into it before posting. Sorry.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #28 of 34
µ-Ziq has followed Aphex's lead, steadily uploading his unreleased back catalogue to Soundcloud over the last few days. A chronological dump from Mike: 122 tracks so far and only up to 1992...

https://soundcloud.com/mikep

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #29 of 34
Nice! Anyone know if there is a single zipped file of the uploads? Would like to grab them all, but one by one drives me nuts. :)

µ-Ziq has followed Aphex's lead, steadily uploading his unreleased back catalogue to Soundcloud over the last few days. A chronological dump from Mike: 122 tracks so far and only up to 1992...

https://soundcloud.com/mikep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back