Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #6,181 of 6,444
Quote:

Heh...I have a few of the Ghibli movies on blu-ray from Japan.  I had a lot of discretionary income until I bought a condo.  :)  I watched some of the Mononoke dub a while back at a friend's house.  It wasn't horrible, but I'm an acknowledged sub snob.

Like that wallpaper!  I may have to have ask you to PM me the file.

Haven't seen Casshern Sins, but I can say that I think Ergo Proxy, Eureka 7, and NGE don't have nearly the same kind of emotional tragedy going on as Anohana.  Sure, NGE has tragedy in spades, but it's not quite the same.  I'm trying to think of something that had a similar effect for me, and I'm only coming up with maybe bits of FMA Brotherhood...or ironically, the ending episodes of Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy.

I haven't watched any Casshern or Ergo Proxy, but, in my opinion, Eureka 7, Evangelion, or Anohana don't evoke as much emotion as Clannad, though I agree that Anohana is more or less completely different to E7 and Evangelion. Also, by Clannad I mainly mean the last quarter or so of the second season... can't say much about the first season to be honest. Eureka 7 and Evangelion are definitely very very good shows (I'm an Evangelion fan, can't wait for Q to be released on BD some-time within the next 5 million years), and Anohana is emotional to an extent, but I still find that they aren't as tragic as Clannad, possibly because Clannad is more realistic, in that it's something that we (or maybe just I) can relate to, rather than giant robots, aliens, or ghosts (unless people here have had encounters with ghosts, aliens, or giant robots), though Clannad has supernatural themes to it as well. Stuff by Key is generally well-received and I sure hope that Little Busters turns out well as well.

As for series I've been enoying/enjoyed recently, aside from the series' that have been already mentioned, I really like the new JoJo anime and Space Brother's is consistently interesting. Gintama is and will always be a great show as well.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #6,182 of 6,444
Quote:
I haven't watched any Casshern or Ergo Proxy, but, in my opinion, Eureka 7, Evangelion, or Anohana don't evoke as much emotion as Clannad, though I agree that Anohana is more or less completely different to E7 and Evangelion. Also, by Clannad I mainly mean the last quarter or so of the second season... can't say much about the first season to be honest. Eureka 7 and Evangelion are definitely very very good shows (I'm an Evangelion fan, can't wait for Q to be released on BD some-time within the next 5 million years), and Anohana is emotional to an extent, but I still find that they aren't as tragic as Clannad, possibly because Clannad is more realistic, in that it's something that we (or maybe just I) can relate to, rather than giant robots, aliens, or ghosts (unless people here have had encounters with ghosts, aliens, or giant robots), though Clannad has supernatural themes to it as well. Stuff by Key is generally well-received and I sure hope that Little Busters turns out well as well.

As for series I've been enoying/enjoyed recently, aside from the series' that have been already mentioned, I really like the new JoJo anime and Space Brother's is consistently interesting. Gintama is and will always be a great show as well.

Oh goodness, don't even get me started on how many times Clannad made me cry. XD;;

Fuko especially. And Ushio oh my goodness

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #6,183 of 6,444
Quote:
I haven't watched any Casshern or Ergo Proxy, but, in my opinion, Eureka 7, Evangelion, or Anohana don't evoke as much emotion as Clannad, though I agree that Anohana is more or less completely different to E7 and Evangelion. Also, by Clannad I mainly mean the last quarter or so of the second season... can't say much about the first season to be honest. Eureka 7 and Evangelion are definitely very very good shows (I'm an Evangelion fan, can't wait for Q to be released on BD some-time within the next 5 million years), and Anohana is emotional to an extent, but I still find that they aren't as tragic as Clannad, possibly because Clannad is more realistic,

I can agree with you, but all of those shows have the traditional Teen Agnst, gawd Anohana has it like crazy along with E7 and NGE was more of just morbid depression by all members >.> I also forgot to mention Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet [that was WONDERFULLY saddening] and that wall paper was simply a screen shot from my 720p anime <3 but you should just be able to dwnload from here in full size!

But Saikano I think is the saddest thing I've seen, and the sadness comes from the interpersonal relationshipe... ghosts, robots and Aliens don't make a differance. There's also some kind of emotional conflict between members

Ergo Proxy had a nice little bit of sad as well [but not as much as the others] And Casshern Sins is well wonderfully sad as well! Casshern is essientially a killer so the whole sereies spins around his guilt and the anger that others around him habor against him... and thier ENTIRE world is all decaying because of Casshern...

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #6,185 of 6,444
Quote:
I can agree with you, but all of those shows have the traditional Teen Agnst, gawd Anohana has it like crazy along with E7 and NGE was more of just morbid depression by all members >.> I also forgot to mention Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet [that was WONDERFULLY saddening] and that wall paper was simply a screen shot from my 720p anime <3 but you should just be able to dwnload from here in full size!

But Saikano I think is the saddest thing I've seen, and the sadness comes from the interpersonal relationshipe... ghosts, robots and Aliens don't make a differance. There's also some kind of emotional conflict between members

Ergo Proxy had a nice little bit of sad as well [but not as much as the others] And Casshern Sins is well wonderfully sad as well! Casshern is essientially a killer so the whole sereies spins around his guilt and the anger that others around him habor against him... and thier ENTIRE world is all decaying because of Casshern...

Cool.  I might have to do that sometime.  :)

It's all up to interpretation, of course, but I think whether or not Menma is actually there, she's more of a catalyst to what happens later, just as her death was the catalyst for the distance between the friends.  Sure, I think there are shows that have done the emotional catharsis better, but Anohana does it very well.  The payoff in the final episodes is a little over the top, but worth the journey.  That's IMHO.

But who am I to talk.  I'm watching the second season of K-On! again to make sure the blu-rays I have are all good.  Fate Zero is probably next on the list though.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #6,186 of 6,444
I agree Clannad was truly and sad story. After story was much better then the first season which I feel was a build up to afterstory, however I cried hard at the fuko arch as well. Recently I watched Tari Tari. Its a slice of life anime centered around music. I lost my father a few years back in high school so I really was touched by this anime. Not to mention its all about music ^_^

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #6,187 of 6,444
Quote:

Cool.  I might have to do that sometime.  :)

It's all up to interpretation, of course, but I think whether or not Menma is actually there, she's more of a catalyst to what happens later, just as her death was the catalyst for the distance between the friends.  Sure, I think there are shows that have done the emotional catharsis better, but Anohana does it very well.  The payoff in the final episodes is a little over the top, but worth the journey.  That's IMHO.

But who am I to talk.  I'm watching the second season of K-On! again to make sure the blu-rays I have are all good.  Fate Zero is probably next on the list though.

Ahh well I shall have to finish it and see! 

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #6,189 of 6,444
Quote:
Woah spoilers ahoy!! D:
Not that I mind a lot though. I don't tend to put priority to tear-extractor anime. Still, it's in my to-watch list.

I've never cried to anime [sorry] but I do like tar jerkers, the good ones are REAL nice... as there are not enough sad stories on Televsion or even in Anime. Like Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet  It's so well depressing but in a nice way that really throws you off! You don't expect it to end like it does!

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #6,190 of 6,444
IMO tearjerkers are evil. But one of the more recent ones that I can remember that I genuinely cried (and like) is to mini-Ika in episode 5 (or something) and .... Toy Story 3! Man I've been with that franchise from 1 back when I was 7. It was one hell of a hard time to see it ending. Especially at that scene. :'( Forever in my heart as the most amazing movie series since it's basically my childhood ending.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #6,191 of 6,444
Quote:
Woah spoilers ahoy!! D:
Not that I mind a lot though. I don't tend to put priority to tear-extractor anime. Still, it's in my to-watch list.

Hope it's not what I said.  Though the part about Menma being dead is pretty much in the product descriptions for the show, I think.  :)

Quote:
IMO tearjerkers are evil. But one of the more recent ones that I can remember that I genuinely cried (and like) is to mini-Ika in episode 5 (or something) and .... Toy Story 3! Man I've been with that franchise from 1 back when I was 7. It was one hell of a hard time to see it ending. Especially at that scene. :'( Forever in my heart as the most amazing movie series since it's basically my childhood ending.

Yeah...I think the first mini Ika Musume ep is the third story in episode 5.  Simple but elegant episode.  I even got my mom into watching that series.  LOL

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,192 of 6,444
I doubt that I will remember any spoilers that might arise when I decide it's about time I watch it.. Sitting there, in my HDD, waiting for me to click on one episode and watch it. Waiting. Collecting digital dust.

And yes I know that anime Whatsits-name has one dead character doing something something with other characters and that made people cry Niagara Falls.

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #6,193 of 6,444
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.  ^.^

Literally translated "we still don't know the name of the flower we saw".  I think some translators put in "that day" at the end, but I think that's more implied since I don't think it's actually literally in the title.  "Anohana" is easier...just means "that flower".  I really like the opening and ending songs for it too.  Enough that I bought the CD's.

And that's my useless information for now.  Have a nice day.

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #6,194 of 6,444
Quote:
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.  ^.^

Literally translated "we still don't know the name of the flower we saw".  I think some translators put in "that day" at the end, but I think that's more implied since I don't think it's actually literally in the title.  "Anohana" is easier...just means "that flower".  I really like the opening and ending songs for it too.  Enough that I bought the CD's.

And that's my useless information for now.  Have a nice day.

No, its in the title. "Ano Hi" = "あの日" = "that day", literally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back