Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Apr 24, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #5,896 of 6,444
Yeah, I think the correct definition would be specifically Japanese Animation.
But the fact that Avatar is produced by Nickelodeon and has English as its primary language, makes it more of a Western animated series.

A good example to prove my point would be the show Alfred J. Kwak. It was animated in Japan, but the production and storyboard are all Dutch. Most people do not regard it as an anime, even though it is made in Japan.
Then again, this example may be a bit too obscure for non-Dutchmen.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5,897 of 6,444
What about Kuro Kami (Black God)? It's animated by a Korean studio for Japan and looks nearly identical to most anime. It's not drawn by the Japanese, but I still consider it an anime in a sense.

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #5,898 of 6,444
I thought akira was good many years ago but seems a bit dated now..but heres a newer one that i found on you tube..
 I thought the death note movies were good..a mix of manga and real people..

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #5,899 of 6,444

Quote:
What about Kuro Kami (Black God)? It's animated by a Korean studio for Japan and looks nearly identical to most anime. It's not drawn by the Japanese, but I still consider it an anime in a sense.

Kurokami was quite a special case to me, it turned my view on it with the last episode that time..

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #5,902 of 6,444
I was talking about the world famous Japanese director Akira Kurosawa.

He made movies such as Seven Samurai, Rashomon and Ran.

But indeed, the movie Akira is quite good. The best... I don't know. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 5cm per second and Spirited Away (mainstream, I know) are imo better.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #5,903 of 6,444
IMO, Akira was ground-breaking for its time. Nowadays, not so much. Was never particularly fond of it.

Akira Kurosawa, OTOH, fabulous. =)

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #5,904 of 6,444
Have watch Accel-World ep4 for like 4 times in the last few hours orz

やべえな...どうかしてるよ、俺 ><

May 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #5,907 of 6,444
So finally, got around to forcing myself finish Last Exile - Fam the Silver Wing -...and I really mean it when I say forcing myself.  There have been few series in recent years that I was as excited to see as this one.  The first Last Exile series was a bit of a pleasant surprise to me, and I was stoked that we’d have an opportunity to revisit that universe with another Range Murata designed cast.  Unfortunately, that was about the extent of the positives that I came away with from the series.

Probably most disappointing to me was the characters.  We were teased with the return of characters from the first series, but they ended up with little to no time on screen.  Instead, we were left with protagonists that were underwhelming and antagonists that were simply frustrating.  As the lead title, Fam came across to me as naïve and about as deep as a piece of cardboard.  Giselle had a somewhat interesting moment or two, but for the most part was relegated to the backup character role of navi/hanger-on.  Millia was probably the most likable of the group, for me, and she struck me as having the most depth and growth.  Granted, that’s not saying much.

Then there were the antagonists.  They seemed to try for some kind of anti-hero or martyr approach to the whole thing, but I just found their motivations and reasoning illogical.  There was this point where they tried to explain how these characters were carrying such a heavy burden, but I could not agree at all with their justifications.  No matter what kind of idealism they tried to paint it with, I could not find myself at all empathizing with or supporting the rationalized murder and butchery that was perpetrated.

So really, what I was left with was a series in which I really didn’t care what happened to almost any of the characters.  When some kind of tragedy occurred that was supposed to create a dramatic or poignant moment, I really found myself callously not concerned at all.  The only emotional response I remember having to most of the show was being frustrated with how stupid and easily led some of the characters were.  I think I’m going to have to find more synonyms for “frustrating” and “disappointing” when I describe this series to my friends.  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I think even without any sense of anticipation I would have come away with the same unsatisfying feeling.

- sorry for the length...I think I had to vent.  I can't remember the last time I had fight the urge to skip through parts of the last episodes in an anime because I just couldn't take watching the whole thing.  >.<

May 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #5,909 of 6,444
Quote:
KatanaGatari

Very nice, love the simple art style and the fight scenes [except on episode 7...]

I started watching that while it was being released...then ended up stalling out on it because of the long waits in between.  I have the DVD's now, so I just have to get around to watching it, though it doesn't help that while going through reviews on Amazon.com I have been horrifically spoiled. >.<

May 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #5,910 of 6,444
Quote:

I started watching that while it was being released...then ended up stalling out on it because of the long waits in between.  I have the DVD's now, so I just have to get around to watching it, though it doesn't help that while going through reviews on Amazon.com I have been horrifically spoiled. >.<

Yea I forget Shichika's sister's name [Namaki or something] and sadly wikipiedia had spoilers galore

Still it's a great show to watch even if you do know what's going to happen. Thankfully there's a lot of little stuff that really make it worth while! The comedy is pretty good to imo :3 and on that note "yan yan" >:3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back