Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Apr 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #3,091 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasahara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tempted to watch Air Gear since I like the manga a fair amount.

To my knowledge, they didn't follow the manga very well in the anime, and most people have generally liked the mange much better. I never read it, so I can't comment.

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #3,092 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Continuing Persona Trinity Soul. It still continues to be a "OK" and "not bad" series for me. It just isn't all that compelling, and there's a part of me that wishes it had a little more of the Shin Megami Tensei influence with the demons and things. I'm at episode 10 now, and I really still don't know where the show wants to go and why, so I'm wondering if I'm just not getting something from the writing.

I had similar feelings about the show. I do feel it gets better though.

Looking back though, I'm still confused about what I watched. There's so much weird stuff going on that it gets really confusing.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #3,094 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kukuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had similar feelings about the show. I do feel it gets better though.

Looking back though, I'm still confused about what I watched. There's so much weird stuff going on that it gets really confusing.

Cool. I'll keep watching. The confusion as to plots and politics doesn't really throw me for a loop...I think I kind of expected it after reading some of the blurbs available back when it was released in Japan and having some experience with SMT games. It just seems to go beyond arcane and into a lack of cohesion or timing issues, but we'll see. Good to hear that you think it gets better. I'll definitely try to finish it up.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #3,095 of 6,444
Dub though? I usually don't touch dubs.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #3,096 of 6,444
Quote:

Cool. I'll keep watching. The confusion as to plots and politics doesn't really throw me for a loop...I think I kind of expected it after reading some of the blurbs available back when it was released in Japan and having some experience with SMT games. It just seems to go beyond arcane and into a lack of cohesion or timing issues, but we'll see. Good to hear that you think it gets better. I'll definitely try to finish it up.

I don't think you'll just be "Oh man, this is great" all of a sudden, it's a pretty gentle improvement over the rest of the show, but you should definitely feel like you haven't wasted your time watching it. Heh.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #3,097 of 6,444
Some series (those that are available in the USA legally on DVD) I'd recommend are:

ARIA (all three seasons plus OVA episode)--I like the spectacular background design and the fact the storytelling is different than what you get from most anime. It's considered by many director Junichi Sato's best work.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha--it might look like standard "magical girl" anime at first but after the 4th episode of the first series, it becomes something quite different, to say the least. I'm hoping that someone licenses the StrikerS (third) season for US distribution soon....

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #3,098 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kukuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you'll just be "Oh man, this is great" all of a sudden, it's a pretty gentle improvement over the rest of the show, but you should definitely feel like you haven't wasted your time watching it. Heh.

LOL...well that sounds OK. I'm continuing along with it, and I'm finding myself interested in what they're going to do with things. Conversely, I'm still having problems empathizing at all with most of the characters.

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #3,099 of 6,444
Update - finished watching Persona. It was worth watching, but you're right Kukuk...never really grabbed me as a "great" show. I was also surprised a little by how things turned in the end, though I really shouldn't be given the endings of the last two Persona games. I still don't feel like I really was engrossed by the characters. It's not that I didn't like them, they just did not feel that compelling and so the experience wasn't so moving on a personal level. Given the rather obscure and arcane nature of the background and story development was, this made the experience a little less cathartic than I think it otherwise could have been. Still not bad, and I'll pick up the DVD's as they're released just to have.

On advice from others, I'll probably watch Claymore soon. I might need something a little lighter as a filler though.

And on another note (a little offtrack), have folks read the editorial posted by the CEO of Bang Zoom? He basically rails against the evils of fansubs and how it will be the bane of anime. I have mixed feelings about it, since it's too easy for me to have the knee jerk reaction of viewing it as a self-serving rant. I think he has a valid point in there, just that the decline in business has to do with a bunch of different things and thinking that "stopping fansubs" will be the silver bullet that keeps anime alive is overly simplistic.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #3,100 of 6,444
Quote:

Update - finished watching Persona. It was worth watching, but you're right Kukuk...never really grabbed me as a "great" show. I was also surprised a little by how things turned in the end, though I really shouldn't be given the endings of the last two Persona games. I still don't feel like I really was engrossed by the characters. It's not that I didn't like them, they just did not feel that compelling and so the experience wasn't so moving on a personal level. Given the rather obscure and arcane nature of the background and story development was, this made the experience a little less cathartic than I think it otherwise could have been. Still not bad, and I'll pick up the DVD's as they're released just to have.

On advice from others, I'll probably watch Claymore soon. I might need something a little lighter as a filler though.

And on another note (a little offtrack), have folks read the editorial posted by the CEO of Bang Zoom? He basically rails against the evils of fansubs and how it will be the bane of anime. I have mixed feelings about it, since it's too easy for me to have the knee jerk reaction of viewing it as a self-serving rant. I think he has a valid point in there, just that the decline in business has to do with a bunch of different things and thinking that "stopping fansubs" will be the silver bullet that keeps anime alive is overly simplistic.

Fansubs get the attention of people who would never look in the direction of that anime in the first place.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #3,101 of 6,444
Lately I've been enjoying the following-

Mushishi - Wife and I are on our 3rd viewing of the entire series. Probably my single favorite anime series, were I forced to pick just 1.

Gurren Lagann - About half way through this series and have enjoyed every minute of it. Just tons of fun.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni - Fantastic psychological thriller anime series. Still on the first season and loving it so far.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #3,102 of 6,444
Mushishi is a good one. It's well done, has good characters, good story ideas, and doesn't force a lot of viewing commitment. It's real easy to watch or put down for a while, if you really feel like it. Overall, a very satisfying and relaxing experience. I might have to go back for my 3rd viewing as well...heh.

Hrmm...Gurren Lagann...maybe I'll use that as my "light" series after Persona. I still haven't watched more than an episode or two of it.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #3,103 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fansubs get the attention of people who would never look in the direction of that anime in the first place.

Exactly this. In my humble opinion, even if I've already watched a series (if it's new, fansubbed), I'll still spend the money to own it if I think the show is worth spending said money on. Plus, by the time it's released over here, enough time will have passed to a)determine how much I really liked the show, and b)have, in the same train, decided that I want to watch it again.

I have the same basic philosophy behind music (I won't just go buy an album on a whim unless I'm a big fan already, and trust the production), which is to always listen to the album first, and I've discovered an incredible amount of anime and music through the internet, which has, in turn, caused me to spend money on said media if I liked it.

Ironically, I got back into anime by randomly coming across Beck in a Future Shop, and deciding it looked interesting enough to buy (at a decent price for the thinpack, were it $59.99 like most there, I wouldn't even had second thoughts).

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #3,105 of 6,444
finished Planetes the other day, that was a pretty awesome show, though episodes 24 and 25 were a little out there, it was very good overall. I watched the first episode of fafner and feel a little lost...

i also got the first episode of angel beats, gonna give that a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back