Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Sep 21, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #1,561 of 6,444
Quote:

I never said that!

Point taken. IIRC, the subbed version was quite good except a few errors in the first eps (I only checked out a couple of episodes, so no idea if it went downhill towards the end or not). Hope you enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Elitism FTL?

Sorry I didnt make it clear in my earlier post. Since I have been saying whatever my rant is mostly pertains the general public with "what if I were in their shoes" perspective (and I assumed, you too, knew what to expect from the show and what moe means), excluding you from that "you" reference. Just that I have said one too many times that its nothing personal. I should have said "one" instead of "you", my bad
smily_headphones1.gif
I was trying to point out the obvious.

Quote:

I actually still consider myself non-hardcore, despite having watched >100 anime in the last year or two and strongly preferring the sub.

I probably watch less than you do, maybe about a dozen a season for new stuff. Compared to "normal folks" though, I am quite obssesed with anime I must admit.

Quote:

I wonder how you could translate "1337" into Japanese?
I think we've probably done this argument to death by now, so I'll just reiterate my opinion that the translator's job is to translate.

As cliche as it may sound, we could agree to disagree on that...

Quote:

no one ever accused me of being concerned about my masculinity! The whole shonen anime thing is kinda funny - if you're debating anime on the interweb, exactly how butch could you be anyway?!

Well, not just the intraweb per se. That was my experience with some of "cool" friends that could tolerate anime (though with a very narrow scope of material etc). Its funny when they think stuff like Shinobuden and Moetan is for girls (sigh)

Quote:

This reminds me - being in Australia I wouldn't know, but extras material on DVDs from ADV etc seems to be promoting the idea of a hardcore US fanbase that is dub-only. To which I respond: wha-?
Being a hardcore fan of dubs seems to me a serious indication of lack of taste. I can understand having nostalgic affection for early shows that were only available in dub when originally viewed. Heck, I was very impressed to find out that the guy who voiced Rick Hunter directed the dub for Planetes - but it was still a typically badly-acted dub.
(I believe the Japanese watch most foreign material dubbed, but on the other hand, they have a much more developed voice-acting industry than the West.)

My response: wha-? x2. Then some shows, notably bebop didnt sound bad at all in English. In some others like Coyote or Black Lagoon where the characters are caucasin and/or expect to be fluent in English, dubs may actually work better. Not counting out dubs altogether, I just feel that dubs dont do justice and sound all awkward for the stuff I watch (lots of cutesy girls, thats why).

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #1,562 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(I believe the Japanese watch most foreign material dubbed, but on the other hand, they have a much more developed voice-acting industry than the West.)

The US has some great voice actors, but they get paid better to do anything but anime (unless it's for Disney/Ghibli).
smily_headphones1.gif

The originals also have their share of over the top or totally misplaced voice acting in my experience, it's just less frequent because it is part of the process of making the show, not trying to make a translation sound sensible, which is a whole different set of problems.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #1,563 of 6,444
^ = true

Air Master - I picked up the first 3 volumes of this super-cheap (like $2 each from Anime Castle). Despite criticism I've read, it wasn't too bad. The visual style is old-school crude, in the style of an old fighting manga, which is probably a turn off for some viewers. For me the main problem was the DVD presentation: the first 2 vols had really annoying close-captioning describing every grunt and gasp in detail (and anime has a lot of these, as we know), and also no chapter stops in episodes. Vol 3 was an improvement, but many people probably gave up before then, which would be why the western release seems to have been discontinued.

The actual show should be taken as just dumb fun. Maki, a tall ex-gymnast street fighter, has some school friends including a huge-breasted girl who's in love with her, and Renge, the most deliberately obnoxious and basically ugly cute-little-girl I've seen in anime. Maki has various fights, including with a couple of guys who like her, and with egomaniacal would-be supermodel Sakiyama Kaori, who turns out to be the show's most amusing running character. The overall plot is fairly straight, but various anime and fighting show conventions are parodied (I loved when Maki's wrestling name was "Fighting Man"). Vol 3 was mostly drawn-out fighting and some family drama, so I was losing interest by that point, but if there was more character comedy down the road I wouldn't mind watching more of the series.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #1,564 of 6,444
I'm on the fence about anime dubs. I find it much easier to appricate the art work if I'm not reading, but some of the voice acting is so good that I want to hear it. And now that my Japanese is coming along, I use the subs for hints.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #1,565 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's a good series to start with for someone not yet into anime?

As a kid, I loved Voltron (I know it's not the same thing as what everyone here is discussing).....would like to find a series to give a shot.

Voltron lovers should google "Gurren Lagann BSS" and torrent BSS' excellent fansubs for this series. You shan't be bored!

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #1,566 of 6,444
Thanks for the rec's guys!!! I have some work to do.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #1,568 of 6,444
I haven't really watched anything recently besides Claymore (which is getting pretty boring), but here's what I've enjoyed in the past:
Death Note
Samurai Champloo
Elfin Leid
Last Exile
Photon
FLCL
Samurai X

Some of it's pretty old, but I haven't really kept up.

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #1,569 of 6,444
My Haruhi doesn't like all the arguing. She thinks we should all go watch the enoz episode and then listen to some Zone
biggrin.gif
:

DSCF6616.jpg

I haven't been keeping up with anime much recently, been d/ling more US tv shows recently. Last things I've watched were some Haibane Renmei, and Death Note. I tried to get into Naruto Shippuuden but it bores the hell out of me(it just keeps dragging and dragging). I stopped watching Bleach for the same reasons, but I keep up with the manga. I want to say that maybe I've grown out of shonen, but I still visit my local comic shop every wednesday to pick up my dose of Marvel.

Last show that I watched that I really enjoyed though was Haruhi, even though that was almost a year ago. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of that?

Has anyone also seen the first Rebuild Evangelion? I heard about it yesterday and noticed that Utada does the themes for it!

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #1,570 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to get into Naruto Shippuuden but it bores the hell out of me(it just keeps dragging and dragging).

x2. It's sad to see a great anime degenerated into yet another draggy show that fails to live up to its previous reputation. Episode 28 was the worst for me: 99% filler (the 1% I credit to Naruto telling Kakashi it was alright if the Mangekyou Sharingan did not work out and that he would cover up for him). At least Bleach is not too bad even though I hate the occasional filler arcs they throw in from time to time (at least they are slightly more enjoyable and carries some storyline weight).

Quote:

Last show that I watched that I really enjoyed though was Haruhi, even though that was almost a year ago. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of that?

Try Lucky Star. It's not the same genre as Haruhi but it came from the same animation studio and the show similarly grows on you.

Quote:

Has anyone also seen the first Rebuild Evangelion? I heard about it yesterday and noticed that Utada does the themes for it!

Beautiful World is the theme. Quite a nice song and I've been listening to it quite a lot this past week.
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #1,571 of 6,444
Midnight. I corner him in his room. I have a hacksaw in one hand and a hammer in the other. I slowly advance across the room, until we are face to face. His mouth opens in a silent scream. This is it. Our eyes meet, and I say... "Hey, nice boat!"

Thanks for clueing me into this. My fave blog comment was "I think this School Days ending definitely pwns Evangelion’s."

I haven't seen it yet. I am a good boy and shall wait for the official DVD release with crappy dubbing. Seems appropriate somehow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gentlemen, I only have two words for you tonite:

NICE BOAT!

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #1,572 of 6,444
The new fall season looks very promising
eggosmile.gif

Ghost Hound (from the creators of lain)
Shakugan no Shana II
Bamboo Blade
Genshiken II
Clannad
Kimikiss pure rogue (from director of honey and clover and nodame cantabile)
Sketchbook ~full color~
ef- a tale of memories
D.C. II
Night Wizard
Gundam 00

I'm gonna be very busy come october
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #1,573 of 6,444
Quote:

Thanks for clueing me into this. My fave blog comment was "I think this School Days ending definitely pwns Evangelion’s."

For a moment, I was fooled into thinking, "Hey, now we actually have something a tad deviated from the game and still crazy"... and of course something of freakish nature as this had to happen just in time
blink.gif
Well, at least it only had one eps left anyway and I doubt it would get anywhere nearly as bad as the three infamous endings in the game. Lets just hope Higurashi Kai resumes without skipping an episode or two.
e0062928_46f3d3af64191.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new fall season looks very promising
eggosmile.gif

Ghost Hound (from the creators of lain)
Shakugan no Shana II
Bamboo Blade
Genshiken II
Clannad
Kimikiss pure rogue (from director of honey and clover and nodame cantabile)
Sketchbook ~full color~
ef- a tale of memories
D.C. II
Night Wizard
Gundam 00

I'm gonna be very busy come october
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

I have a feeling shana might go down the path of Zero no Tsukaima... The novel was thoroughly unintersting IMO. As far as other stuff on the list though, yeah it sure seems pretty loaded to me
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Some of the post-haruhi shows I regard as being of equal caliber in terms of moe, overall quality, eccentricity and intensity:
Manabi Straight
Hayate no Gotoku!
NHK ni Youkoso
Moetan

Shows that are much more laid-back, but definitely in the same league:
Lucky Star
Hidamari Sketch
Asatte no Houkou
sola

Somewhat lacking in quality, but still worth mentioning:
Tsuyokiss
Gift
Otoboku
Coyote Ragtime Show
Soukou no Strain

Quote:

No not yet. I would love to see it one day though
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #1,574 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a moment, I was fooled into thinking, "Hey, now we actually have something a tad deviated from the game and still crazy"... and of course something of freakish nature as this had to happen just in time
blink.gif
Well, at least it only had one eps left anyway and I doubt it would get anywhere nearly as bad as the three infamous endings in the game. Lets just hope Higurashi Kai resumes without skipping an episode or two.
e0062928_46f3d3af64191.jpg

Two words: Nice Chef.
frown.gif
If at least one station doesn't man up and keep airing Higurashi Kai, me and Japan are gonna have some words.
mad.gif

Also, neat Jigoku Shoujo image. Is she ferrying the School Days guy (don't watch that show, so I'm guessing that's who he is)?

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #1,575 of 6,444
http://www.minaidehazukashii.com/hin.../uhonice-boat/

School Days, one of the most controversial gyaruges of 2005, is most infamous for its 3 gory murders/suicide out of its 21 possible endings. Though I never finished the game (still on chapter 4 or so
tongue.gif
), the curiousity drove to look it up on youtube. school days eternally/bloody/children should do the trick. Sekai's bad ending (The Bloody Conclusion) reminded me of the scene in Kurusawa Akira's Ran, where Lady Kaede gets her head chopped off (high blood pressure FTW?)

Anyway, there was a murder case where a school girl allegedely murders her father (a police chief) with a hatchet, just a day before the final episode, and TNK chose not to risk their rep and aired a footage of.... boats instead. It had a subtitle that read "Nice Boat.", and hence a slew of obligatory parodies on youtube
redface.gif
Yeah, the guy is Makoto, the main protagonist of the show with Enma Ai. I am sure the image has been around before the incident took place, but what a fitting depiction this is :| Oh wait, maybe thats what they try to tell us with this whole boat joke?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back