Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Feb 19, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #466 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Just finished Kimagure Orange Road

Oh man, Orange Road... definitely a classic anime...

Have you seen Sekai no chûshin de, ai o sakebu? Not that it's related to the love triangle, psychic power comedy, but if you enjoyed Orange Road, especially the final movie, I suspect you'd like this movie.

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #467 of 6,444
Quote:

Kimagure Orange Road and movie sans OVAs. I think it's pretty good although not quite as good as Maison Ikkoku.

Jeebus, I remember reading them on weeklies way, way back. Not that I'm that old, but reading about them definitely take me back a bit.
I forgot they were animated later. Still haven't seen any that I preferred the animation over the original, though.

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #468 of 6,444
I just finished up watching the Full Metal Alchemist series, and I've got chills. I'm not a big fan of anime at all, but man, that was without a doubt one of the best series I have ever seen. Kept getting better every episode.

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #469 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by so_cal_forever
I just finished up watching the Full Metal Alchemist series, and I've got chills. I'm not a big fan of anime at all, but man, that was without a doubt one of the best series I have ever seen. Kept getting better every episode.

Yeah, it is an awesome series. Definately one of my favorites. Go check out the movie now it supposed to complete the series.

Feb 19, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #470 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Oh man, Orange Road... definitely a classic anime...

Have you seen Sekai no chûshin de, ai o sakebu? Not that it's related to the love triangle, psychic power comedy, but if you enjoyed Orange Road, especially the final movie, I suspect you'd like this movie.

Best regards,

-Jason

Thanks Jason, I'll try to find this movie. If it's good, I might have to bother you for more Japanese movie recommendations...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Still haven't seen any that I preferred the animation over the original, though.

In most cases the original is more profound but I think the animated versions have a special charme on their own if the music, pacing and visuals are good. I haven't read the Kimagure Orange Road manga though.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #471 of 6,444
As I understand it, Mai Otome is supposed to be the My HiME characters in a completely new story with no continuity (as the comics geeks put it) - it's not "ten years after" My HiME or anything like that. You can assume the same _emotional_ relationships, since they're a product of character not circumstance in My HiME (everyone who loves anyone starts out loving them, in that show), but as far as Otome is concerned, none of the events in HiME ever took place.

hope that was clear
smily_headphones1.gif

anyone watching season two of Major? it's quite good (and refreshingly accurate to the sport, compared to most sports animes - Prince of Tennis made me cringe on a weekly basis, what with people standing a foot behind the service line to return a serve that was supposedly travelling at 200km/h), but I dunno, somehow goro just doesn't look as cute (er, in a non-sexual way) as he did when he was a little kid in the first series
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #472 of 6,444
My brother and I used to watch a lot of anime together on adult swim and other places, the one's I remember best are Goldenboy
icon10.gif
and Cowboy Bebop, being the best anime show in my opinion.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #473 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
hope that was clear
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes it was, thanks.

I also think that Major is pretty good and rather underrated. Certainly one of the better sports anime out there. Not very deep but lots of fun to watch. Kind of like Whistle.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #474 of 6,444
'Monster' was the first anime series that I ever saw. An absolute must-watch!

It'll probably be the only anime series that I'll ever see; most other series pale in comparison in terms of plot development and suspense.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #475 of 6,444
Quote:

Just finished Kimagure Orange Road and movie sans OVAs. I think it's pretty good although not quite as good as Maison Ikkoku. The final movie is awesome though. Animation is obviously dated, especially the TV series, but if you're tired of constant panty shots, super-cuteness and hinted-at pedophilia, and if you can stick with the 80s feeling, I think this is one comedy/romance anime worth watching. Anyway, probably not everybody's cup of tea since it's also fairly long (48 episodes + movie). There are also 8 OVA episodes and a second movie but they're not relevant to the story.

I have the TV series on laserdisc somewhere. Very good show.

My current watch-list includes Lamune, Canvas2, and Kashimashi.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #476 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by ootput
'Monster' was the first anime series that I ever saw. An absolute must-watch!

It'll probably be the only anime series that I'll ever see; most other series pale in comparison in terms of plot development and suspense.

If you never watch another anime how will you know there aren't others with good plots.
confused.gif
tongue.gif
And I was looking into watching Monster too, but it's just so long. Maybe when I get some more free time...

Anyway, I just finished watching the first Hellsing OVA, so I'll give my little review of it.

As others might have mentioned this episode covers about half of the anime (I never read the manga so I don't know how much of that is covered). If you're not familiar with the basic storyline you'll probably be lost or at least confused.

*Warning Minor Spoilers*

A lot of people are praising the animation, and while I agree that its much higher quality then the anime, it's just not the type of animation I wanted. It's... cartoonish. The character's expressions are overly exaggerated and so is much of the action. There's blood everywhere, but that was already to be expected.

Seras Victoria still has the same body
wink.gif
, but I hate what they've done to her face. She seriously looks like an American cartoon character at times. Alucard's character is noticably different too. He's not as invincible as in the anime and he seems a bit more human, as Integra Hellsing commented he's more "sentimental" here.

The music was the biggest let down. The original series had awesome music that as a mix of mainly rock and jazz while the OVA seems to have a more techno sound. To me the anime's opening song was Hellsing, it was cool and had style even though I had not idea what the guy was singing.
rolleyes.gif
Now the music seems so... plain.
frown.gif

I plan to keep watching the OVA series. Hopefully things will pick up in the storyline.
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #477 of 6,444
I just finished Angelic Layer earlier today and it was incredible!! Easily the best anime I've seen since Paranoia Agent. I'd have to say the pacing was ideal for this genre; the way the episodes were arranged to immediately draw you in from the very beginning really added. It was an interesting idea too; anyone with a few bucks could go to the store and buy a robot, initialize it with the specs they desire, customize it, and use it to compete in an arena by controlling it with brainwaves. It was done so well too; the characters are really likable, theres a nice amount of comedy and drama, and plenty of tension during the fights. The animation was consistant and at a nice level throughout the series. There were a couple of episodes that could be deemed as filler but they worked well for character development so who could complain
wink.gif
A highly recommended series. 4.8/5

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #478 of 6,444
Hrm, not a fan of angelic layer here. You have to really like Clamp and ... pokemon style stuff
tongue.gif
I mean that in a good way
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #479 of 6,444
OMG, I can't Bleach just threw in such a huge plot twist.
eek.gif
I know I'm a bit behind so most people will already know what I am talking about, but I did not see that coming and I was forewarned that by other people that the storyline was not what it seemed.
eek.gif

I've finally finished the Soul Society Arc and it was good.
icon10.gif
Though this anime reminds me more of Dragonball Z at times then Naruto, it has a very good storyline that keeps you guessing. Highly recommended.

And I really want to know more about the "other" Ichigo.
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #480 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
OMG, I can't Bleach just threw in such a huge plot twist.
eek.gif
I know I'm a bit behind so most people will already know what I am talking about, but I did not see that coming and I was forewarned that by other people that the storyline was not what it seemed.
eek.gif

Be assured, the story is going to get even better, especially when *ahem*, you see the creations of Aizen's.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, look at my avatar.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back