Antness Gilmore amp...
Oct 24, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 16
Please post more information!

Many of us are really curious about the GGSS and the "Commercial" version being produced. There are very very few critical listening posts about this amp.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 16
hehe, I have one on the way as well.
The cary was draining my finances, and source is more important so what I get from selling I will put back into credit cards, and use to finance a new cdp(perhaps a moded jolida 100 or cary 308 t!).

I will let people know how it sounds as well.
in the mean time botchki, id love to hear your impressions.
let us know maen!
k.s.

Oct 26, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 16
Botchki,

Don't make us come over and beat the impressions out of you. I used to be the Grand Inquisitor in the olden days. Ve have veyz ov making you talk!

Oct 26, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 16
I guess I'll add to the list of people interested to hear what you have to say.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #8 of 16
"Don't make us come over and beat the impressions out of you. I used to be the Grand Inquisitor in the olden days. Ve have veyz ov making you talk!"

Sorry no response sooner but thought I'd let it burn in for a couple of days first. I'm not sure I'm the right person to be giving an opinion on this amp as I am new to headphone amps/headphones in general and do not have any other amps to reference it to but I do have a very good home system and can try and give an impression based on that.

First off, the thing is gorgeous and well built. Power supply is solid and weighs a few pounds and from what Antness states generates a lot of electric power, able to drive any headphone.

The sound is very open, detailed, and powerful with plenty of deep tight base. It's fast and very clear and seperates instuments and vocals well. I don't feel it colors the music at all. I have roughly a $9000 home system that I love and that gives me the sound I want which is natural, clarity, detail, speed, vocally rich and tight base without being boomy and this amp does that as well, albeit without the same soundstage that you get from listening to an amp with speakers. On the flip side, listening to a live recording of Jacqui Naylor (jazz vocals), puts you right there and you feel like you are part of her small audience, up close and personal. Drums, cymbals, horns, strings, vocals, all sound wonderfully clear, musical and detailed.

You can play it soft or extremely loud (more so than I can take) without distortion. For what its worth and my two cents, I think it's a great amp and I'm really happy with it. I'm taking it down to a local hi-fi shop on Tuesday to show the owner and compare it to a Grado amp and will check out how it does with Grado Rs 1 and 2's as well as Senn Hd 600's.

For reference, I'm using a pair of ATH-W100's as headphones. Hope that helps at least a little bit. Thanks Antness.

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 16
Botchki,

Good first impressions! Keep 'em coming. When you go to the hi-fi shop, see if you have other headphone amps and if you can, try and compare them. Terrific job! I'll be sure to call of my minions... for now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 16
I would love to hear how this sounds with the HD600's. Ive noticed that a real test of an amp is to play it softly with the HD600's, if it can drive them to the same resolution as it does when the volume is cranked its a good amp. Try to make some serious distinctions regarding this, Im dying to hear an amp that really pushes the HD600 to its maximums at low volumes.

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 16
ai0tron: I also hold that opinion. At loud volumes, heck, most anything sounds ok. The trick is at low volumes. Jeez, I want a gilmore.
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep the impressions coming!

Nov 1, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Some one else post some comments!

I sent my money off, havent heard from Antness in a while though.. I need something to tide me over.

Biggie.

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by antness
The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more post
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part

wink.gif

That was really Petty of you.

Nov 1, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Lol. I don't mind waiting since this is supposed to be my christmas present (I'm still paying for most of it though), but I would really like to see some comparisons with other amps not starting with meta and ending with 42. ^^

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back