antique sound labs amps (will they run these speakers )
Nov 21, 2002 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

decesaro

100+ Head-Fier
I was considering ordering the new L-h-01 pre amp with headphone output and two wave 8 amps , the reason being that there so cool looking and because many people rave about there headphone amps here , I also have heard that they make wounderful sounding amps. The problem that I is that I want to use the wave 8 amps to power my magnapan mg11b speakers . As far as my listen levels ,I dont care for it being very loud ,but I like a full sound stage , my listen preferences lean towards alot of jazz, blues, and classic rock . Do you think that these amps could do it or should I look for something else , I was currently using a nad 25 wpc intergrated amp to power the speakers with a powerd sub. any other suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 4
I just hooked up two wave 8 amps to drive a AKG K1000 headphone. Essentially in parallel, I also hooked up an Antique Sound Lab AQ-1005DT. The price difference between these amps is very substantial. The wave 8s cost approx. $225, while the 1005DT costs more than $1,600. It's amazing that I can't hear a real difference between these amps. Both kinds of amps sound absolutely wonderful through the K1000. So, what's to conclude? First conclusion is that the wave 8s are really fine amps, and the second conclusion is that I probably wasted my money on the AQ-1005DT.

Nov 22, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
I just hooked up two wave 8 amps to drive a AKG K1000 headphone. Essentially in parallel, I also hooked up an Antique Sound Lab AQ-1005DT. The price difference between these amps is very substantial. The wave 8s cost approx. $225, while the 1005DT costs more than $1,600. It's amazing that I can't hear a real difference between these amps. Both kinds of amps sound absolutely wonderful through the K1000. So, what's to conclude? First conclusion is that the wave 8s are really fine amps, and the second conclusion is that I probably wasted my money on the AQ-1005DT.

Thanks for your imput on the subject , my conclusion (I hope) is Im going to order 5 of the amps and run them in my listen room/home theater/getaway from the family room , if worse case maybe its time to down size the magnapans and go with something else, just the thought of 5 of those cool little amps lined up is to much to resist
Thanks

Nov 22, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by decesaro
Thanks for your imput on the subject , my conclusion (I hope) is Im going to order 5 of the amps and run them in my listen room/home theater/getaway from the family room , if worse case maybe its time to down size the magnapans and go with something else, just the thought of 5 of those cool little amps lined up is to much to resist
Thanks

You'll love them. They are great. Just finished watching a DVD with them. Great movie, but weird --- "The Mothman Prophesies." Of course I listened with my K1000 heaphone using two Waves. I use headphone surround software, and it's quite a good effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back