Antipodes Audio DX V3 music server roon core, one mans unofficial guide down the rabbit hole.
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #121 of 296
Taking my last listening of dt gs and farewell my friend. It will be picked up and my DX should be delivered tomorrow. I guess a title change to this thing is in order upon DX arrival. Of course blurb and photos to follow.
5304EB24-7C3A-4790-9020-11DBDF515FBC.jpeg

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #122 of 296
It’s here and it’s substantial. Have to re jig and get a new stand. The power chord I got for it is a monster, little unwieldy. Sound tho is really nice in dsd or pcm 386. Prefer dsd 128 at this point, but to early to say. Need some hours on this, but immediate reaction, rich and deep. No mid thinness, but pics really and back in a few days. Cheers to tony, Bruno, Igor and antipodes for the work getting this and my library up.

8A21064F-61D2-4131-848B-A7865D9534B7.jpeg

B5A57787-9A65-47F8-A1C3-46A11DB5A399.jpeg

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #123 of 296
Not a review yet but lets just say i spent a year going through my library looking for what songs i had not listened to on my dt gs. You know roon keeps track of times a tune is played, well shucks, DX is making me go through my entire library again, since my times played started over with my library replaced. Back in a few with comprehensive thoughts. impressive source, like the first time again...how is this possible?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #124 of 296
max pcm rate ( power of two) deep purple color window on TT, growing on me big time. 386 i guess. Art official Age. WOW

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #125 of 296
4 days in and every song brings a smile to my face, why isn’t antipodes and DX for that matter, get the recognition for what they have accomplished in this server field. This rich deep detail that sounds completely right in timing, width, position, amplitude, timber. We’ll prelude to review that’s coming. Don’t worry if this hasn’t given it away, I’m no golden ear reviewer just a consumer. I will caveat I only know antipodes, but it will be short and sweet with comparisons made at first to dt gs. I d go as far as DX should be your first choice, budget be damned.
If anyone has a chime to be made, go ahead, see you in a few days. No tics, no drop outs, Did have to apply headroom mgt on dsd 128 -3....

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #126 of 296
Disclosure I have a dx3.I am one of the lucky folks.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #127 of 296
What I always liked about Antipodes is preferred delivery is USB, although there are other options, My TT hd galvanized port is a preferred input. So system is simple.
DX> Chord Sarum T digital Super Aray USB> Chord Hugo TT> Audioquest Fire> Gsx Mk2>DHC Prion 4> Hd800S

Compared to DSGT, it was obvious in the first 30 seconds the primary difference. The DX is immediately rich and deep. The GT came off a little harsh in the mids, ( this attributed to helping detail separation) there were also occasional tics, and drop outs in DSD mode. Course I thought it was the cats pyjamas, but then comes the DX.

Rich? whats that? Its not smooth, its not warm. It has incredible polyphonic detail. The crazy thing is everything seems right in timing and timber. So multi track layering well i can hear the layers, in voice, to sub bass. Its really quite remarkable, this detail comes off subtly. So its not wide for the effect of being wide, it just is, cause thats what music is supposed to sound like. detail is evident yet harmonious.

Deep? The DX is immediately very authoritative in the low end. From sub through drum and bass with that polyphonic detail which gives one a live feel. So if you are into drums and bass, victor wooten or marcus miller sounds live. Its subtle change to move from listening to music to listening as if you are there live,right in it, outstanding. So any electronic sub could shake you to the core, again outstanding.

genres electronic check, ambient check, r&b check, jazz blues check, classical check, singer song writer check. All genres I listen to play well on DX. Black is so black and with classical i could hear many instruments, yes violins sounded like a bunch of separate violins not one sub straight of violin sound.

Concerning up sampling i initially found DSD 128 excellent and really offered up good separation but then i found PCM offering power in the low end and overall great feel for jazz/blues so I have stuck with max PCM. I don't think there is a loser or winner here but depends on ones preference.

I would recommend DX as a must listen in the top reference server market, is it worth the premium, yes with out a doubt. Id buy it sight unseen, for reals.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #128 of 296
Sooo I anticipate few updates from myself going forward. Could go quiet. I would of course find any feedback from antipodes users on thoughts, tweeks, dsp settings, if you have done a different connection, nas or whatever. Other models like the cool v3 of ex,Cx,DX and how they sound, you like don’t like or other manufacturers brand comparisons.

It’s truly been a trip from the first post, is there a better way to transmit your source to your dac. Granted, initially of course, didn’t expect to fall into the DX reference segment, where I figure to be for a long long time. I’m not into gear turnover. Well it’s a fantastic one box solution, no ferrites or other boxes necessary. Cheers even though this seems a self indulgent thread, I persisted cause I wish someone had forged the way for antipodes audio on head fi before myself. So I hope this helped in generating alternatives.

Sep 14, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #129 of 296
Having an album moment Batagraf Delights of Decay album. The DX really brings you in there. New level of fun on the desk...:)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #130 of 296
Its been a few weeks now with DX and frankly I believe its done what its supposed to do. Question do I need a DAC upgrade cause my sound is fantastic, no. Do i need any other boxes or upsamplers.... I don't think so. End game coffin. If any dx owners ever feel different or the same, feel free to let me know.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #131 of 296
Hi Whazzzup, I read part of your thread late last night. It’s good, but I haven’t had time to read it all, but I will. I also have some questions, but I will leave them until I have read the rest of your thread.

As I mentioned in that other thread, I’m looking to buy or put together a dedicated Roon core server, one that isn’t a hugely over powered PC. I would like whatever it is, to be my Roon core, and be a silent one at that. If possible, I would just like something small and quiet. When I say small, I mean smaller than a full tower pc case. The budget has a rough 2-3grand limit. I will look up your antipodes and have a read about it.

Keep your thread updated.

Thanks.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #132 of 296
HD800S has never had less fatigue and been more enjoyable, frankly the DX took HP upgraditis away as well. Jeez kinda happy yet sad at the same time. All thats left is the music. cheers folks....

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #133 of 296
Well a month and a half later and the thread cranked over 12100 views so i thought i should write something. There done. A happy thread is a a quiet thread.

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #134 of 296
I have something to add, all this while i have not ripped a cd, so ripped a dozen. What a process of grabbing a track, encoding and then tagging. Then acoustic fingerprint to verify integrity. Two cd were flat out rejected the rest went fine. Have a blue light on these albums for high quality signal path. Now no direct a/b is possible but as I listen to older recordings say future sound of london Dead cities sounds fantastic. I can't remember hearing this kind of 3d detail before. Regardless if ripping cd is better than downloading same track for a yellow low quality signal path means anything. I have a a 100 cd to rip from those dreadful, lol, 80's and 90's into 2000 when cd ruled. Frankly im more looking forward to my music than backwards, but got a top notch ripper and all these cd,s so....

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #135 of 296
utilized software manager in my antipodes.com GUI to update antipodes software, no issues, took about 1-2 minutes. back to listening ripped blue light high quality signal path, seems real good on those early 2000 recordings like de phazz. Even tho I chose uncompressed flac conversion some of those 90's recordings are not great. Like curve doppelgänger or u2 zooropa or discoteque. I mean in some ways its interesting, the edges guitar work etc, but these are far from dynamic recordings and bass kick and bass don't shine.. you can't fix anything just cause one has DX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back