Antipodes Audio DX V3 music server roon core, one mans unofficial guide down the rabbit hole.
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #76 of 296
well to its potential final adenum, we may be marching. Looks like the ds gt is no more as of september 1 2017 it has been replaced by a DS core with advancements around the usb but also some additional ethernet connections going on. Any rate one can always peruse the antipodes audio site for the deets.
Time marches on and whats new is old again. Course I still believe that music servers are the most logical component to start your audio chain....

That was interestiing news about the new DS Core. The dual ethernet sockets is a useful addon for those that go the networking route.
I can't find the price of this.
I've had the DS GT on my radar for a while, but can't decide between it and the Zenith SE. This change may help sway the decision.

BTW, I also found the Roon Queue-based navigation to be unituataive for the way I play music. But their latest build had introduced the one-click-play UI which is MUCH better for those of us more album-orientated. And now some Queue fans are up in arms, but I think Roon's next build will aim to keep both sides happy.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #77 of 296
Hi, It's good to see development. I'm not sure what the additional Ethernet port does, ( direct link) but anything improving usb is beneficial. I'm supposing the $ will be the same with ds core saving 1/3 of the price over the dx flagship. They still like the idea of linking units which is why I went with stand alone, space and cost.
The source is the source so if it's 16 bit 44.1 257 Kbps is rendered very well but just a little sharper and less depth than flac or dsd, but the antipode does handle latency well but faster of the new core is better, so another bonus.
Yes I enjoy the new roon ui as well. That's another benefit being an official roon core partner, no chance of iOS compatibility issues, the format runs smoothly.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #78 of 296
Big upgrade event at antipodes. From there site.

V4 Upgrades
The introduction of the Antipodes V4 platforms is the biggest technology event in our 13 year history. The first V4 product launched was the CORE, using the V4H high-power circuit, and has now been joined by the DX Gen3 that uses the V4X medium-power circuit.

Our next step is to launch two upgrade programs for owners of DS and DX servers, and we want every Antipodes music server to have the option to be upgraded to the V4 technology. This is a large undertaking and we appreciate your patience. All available information can be gained here first, and we recommend you join our mailing list if you want to know the instant we publish updates.

DX UPGRADES

All DX models going back to the first models released in 2013 will be able to be upgraded to use the new V4X specification. The DS Reference is also able to be upgraded to the V4X level. You will enjoy the same audio performance and features as if you had the new DX Gen3, but installed in your existing case.

DS UPGRADES

All other DS models going back to the first DS series released in 2011 will be able to be upgraded to the V4M specification, that will be used in an upcoming product to be released in November. The new product uses a larger case than previous DS models in order to also house a Level 1 ODAPS linear power supply. This power supply is equivalent to the external ODAPS provided with the DS GT, CORE and EDGE. Your upgraded DS will continue to use external power supplies. If you use a semi-switched power supply (DS Base & DS SSD) you can upgrade to the external Level 1 ODAPS linear power supply, or continue to use the semi-switched power supply.

Some DS models - the models that use the latest DS casework with heatsink side panels - will have two upgrade alternatives. Upgrade to the V4M specification, or to the V4H specification used in the CORE.

Upgrade Timetable
Parts for these upgrades are being manufactured in finite quantities. Depending on the level of demand for the upgrades we may run out of parts and not be able to upgrade your product. So we recommend that you act early, as soon as the upgrade process and prices are announced for the upgrade relevant to you. Further batches of upgrade parts may be manufactured again if there is sufficient demand, but over time the ability get one of these upgrades will cease.

Full details of what is included in the upgrade, the process, additional options and pricing will be available close to the time that the upgrades become available.

6 October 2017 - DX Gen3 launched.

16 October 2017 - Upgrades of recent model DX to DX Gen3 become available and pricing announced. This applies only to versions of the DX using the 6mm thick alloy bottom plate shown in pictures of the DX on this website.

23 October 2017 - Upgrades for ALL DS to DS-X become available and pricing announced.

23 October 2017 - Upgrades for recent model DS (models with heatsink fins on the side panels) to DS Core become available and pricing announced.

1 November 2017 - Upgrades for ALL other DX to DX Gen3 become available and pricing announced.

All upgrades need to be performed by one of our four certified service centres, in New Zealand, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Each service centre sets its own prices to take account of freight, duties, clearance and sales tax issues in its region. The service centres obtain the necessary parts from Antipodes Audio and can offer you additional upgrades such as to storage and operating systems.

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #79 of 296
Contacted my retailer as to whether i exhange or upgrade or what.
Dig the system as is but... upgrades an upgrade.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #80 of 296
Ok heard back from Igor, he will contact me with deets on oct 30 for location and costs to the upgrade from dsgt to ds core v4. I can’t exchange my unit, oh well, I knew it was a long shot. Then again I am pleased that antipodes audio would even put together this upgrade program.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #81 of 296
Good to see that Antopodes are continuing to improve and to offer upgrades for existing customers.

I'm still undecided between this, Zenith SE and SOtM - haven't heard any of them yet.
The fastest moving I think is SOtM. I'll wait and see how their upcoming 10M reference clock shapes up and how that might be used to further super clock their servers.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #82 of 296
Alright time for an update. First off love the antipodes music server.
Contacted Igor and of course Canada is a second thought market. The hardware is one thing but the software upgrade is another so they have not found a suitable source to perform the upgrade here. So it’s Denver as the na destination at this point. I may be the only Canadian pursuing upgrades at this point so I asked for the USA price and structure for ds core, will post details when I get them

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #83 of 296
Could be a while...No rush, but hifi centre was a bit concerned about brokerage and damages for not assigning true value, so maybe we will wait for canada service to be established, ill check back with antipodes occasionally

Nov 8, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #84 of 296
Good to see that Antopodes are continuing to improve and to offer upgrades for existing customers.

I'm still undecided between this, Zenith SE and SOtM - haven't heard any of them yet.
The fastest moving I think is SOtM. I'll wait and see how their upcoming 10M reference clock shapes up and how that might be used to further super clock their servers.

Exactly where I am at this point, including 10M options.

Regards
GG

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #85 of 296
well let us know what you are doing or have decided. Since my experience is antipodes only, can't inform other than what i hear, very positive.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #86 of 296
keeping up the blog currently listening to fatima al qadiri album brute, electronic is a great genre through antipodes, from the sub through to the mids were the magic happens.
heard from tony at antipodes that the process of canada service upgrades is in the works and from igor that the demand for upgrades world wide are very high, supply of motherboards are short so the program will be extended to 2018 and at some point i will get further details. Are there antipodes owners out there in head fi who are taking advantage of this program, how goes it and are costs reasonable. I figure from demand that they are but its not like anyone who ponied up for a server doesn't have the fortitude to upgrade...
Any rate still grooving, happy holidays. eric lignin trio "trippin" very involving via gt

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #87 of 296
So a last addition from me till we ring in 2018, happy holidays to everyone. Well after several roon core updates everything still runs like clockwork and 6 months after purchase I’m still cycling through my collection looking eagerly for albums with 0 plays so I can listen to it like it was the first time. The latest was kraftwerks 3-d complete catalogue and wow the detail of these remastered tunes is spatially incredible with depth and meaning. Sure it’s the work done in the studio but the synergy of the rig creates a representation that just makes my head bob. No ferrites, no boxes, no additional transformers regenerator needed. No more DACs, amps, and heaven forbid hp....not that I have cycled through any. When a component brings someone to that curtain called end game, yes I said it, you are left with a surprising feelings. Both contemptment and disbelief, that’s it? .....maybe. I’m very much looking forward to upgrade to ds core v4 in the new year and of course keep the blog up. The question I will leave to head fi ether is should I rename the blog antipodes ds core, and leave the ramblings and questions as I shuffle to purchase, as one mans unofficial guide, or start a new antipodes ds core thread. I’m not sure which if any could spur more participation from actual owners or if the service of whatever this blog has / is doing is fine as it is.
Cheers

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #89 of 296
On 2018 will be shifting maybe to:
NUC/Shuttle PC -> NAS -> Ultrarendu

Or add a Sotm USB-ex on my chain.

Will see...

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #90 of 296
Happy new year audiophile review and voted a star component.

CORE Reviewed By Anthony Kershaw - Audiophilia
Audiophilia has published the first review of an Antipodes V4 product, the Antipodes CORE Music Server, and written by that magazine's editor-in-chief Anthony Kershaw. The CORE received the Audiophilia Star Component Award.

" ..dynamics can be staggeringly loud (not constricted) or ridiculously soft. Even when playing very quietly, instruments do not lose the center of their sound; their timbre is left intact. Try clarinets throughout Firebird or Petrouchka as demonstration.

"Weight, slam, definition, too, are all there as they are with most well designed digital kit. But it's the clarity of musical purpose the CORE allows that inspires the playing of file after file rather than LP after LP. Everything sounds very refined, in its place, just as it should as very discerning audiophiles expect.

"Before CORE, I'd been playing LPs nonstop and yet CORE has reaffirmed my faith in digital playback. It's a star in anyone's audio system. Very highly recommended."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back