Antipodes Audio DX V3 music server roon core, one mans unofficial guide down the rabbit hole.
Jul 6, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #106 of 296
Cool 2nd Ethernet port. Good thing I ordered and have comming a few audioquest Diamond Ethernet Audio rje cables on order. Course not sure my TT has that capability but good to know.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #107 of 296
Update to my update looks like I will be getting one of these new instead. CX core. I am told it is superior to a ds core upgrade. Had to go to antipodes site to review these models and I see that as of may 2018 the new line has been shipping. Here is a pic and blurb about it. Regardless of what I get, keep the site up to date with pics and thoughts after I get the exchange.
Mate, what a bonus getting the CX, I had to pay extra for mine to be upgraded to the CX so you struck gold there :thumbsup:

It has the new upgraded internal PSU, and no external brick either so slicker model. Need to get yourself a good power cable to attach to it, as it only comes with a standard kettle cord. Also comes with dual Ethernet, which some say is better than going USB. And as a bonus it looks so much better than the DS Core, except for the front power switch that doesn't do it for me, but the rest of it looks a 1st class unit.

You're going to love it when you get it (should be shipping to you soon).

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #108 of 296
Whazzzup

You're going to have to change the thread title now you're getting the CX :smiley:

Also we're going to be twins soon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (both of us are getting the CX), and can compare notes on what we think of our upgrades.

PS, never been to Toronto, but been to Vancouver a few times (skiing at Sunpeaks :skier:), great city and a wee bit like Perth (here in Oz). Hope the weather's going good for you at the moment, bit wet here in Perth being winter time, but nothing like a winter in Canada (that gets a wee bit chilly :snowflake:)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #109 of 296
Yes, title change coming when I receive. Kinda caught me off guard when I read my email, I thought Cx was a typo... going on a vacation so when I get back my Cx will be at my neighbors. Pics and thoughts then, obviously from memory comparison. Congrats on you’r Cx.

Have not been to Australia yet. Maybe in the next year or two we will. Maybe the Maldives will be put on hold....

We just had a heat wave, well really here it’s a humidity wave. This is not desert heat up here. We do not speak of winter here, we get 3-4 months of summer, just live in the moment. Cheers.

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #110 of 296
C1F27CD4-F11E-4117-8B02-3E1CC9F24168.jpeg
Well another update to my update... I’m now getting this, a DX core

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #111 of 296
The current Antipodes DX is the third generation of our flagship one-box model, integrating autoripper, server & renderer functions, and is a Stereophile Class A+ Recommended Component.

The DX has not only enjoyed the reputation of arguably the world's best music server for several years, it is unique in providing exceptional digital audio sound quality together with one-box simplicity and ease of use. Ongoing development has continued to keep the DX at the head of the pack. The key to the increased performance of the third generation DX is the new V4X circuit developed originally for the DX, but which is now also used in the Antipodes EX.

But the DX is not just a full-width version of the EX with an integrated ripper. The reason the DX outperforms the EX in sound quality is that it uses dual power supplies and this improves the separation of the server function from the renderer function.

Our experience developing and refining the DX, since the first generation DX was released in 2014, has led to the new Antipodes EX and CX, and these new models offer different combinations of features and benefits, but the DX remains the ultimate one-box solution.

Digital Audio Outputs

The DX has two Ethernet ports. You can use one to connect to your network (necessary for remote control and other functions) and use the second to provide a low-noise dedicated feed to an Ethernet DAC. In this configuration you do not need any other connection from your Ethernet DAC to the network because it is able to communicate through the DX. While it is smarter than this, you can simply think of the DX as doing the same job as a high quality, linear regulated psu powered, Ethernet switch.

The DX has four USB ports - two black ports and two blue ports. All four ports receive exactly the same quality of USB signal and each is separately generated. However you may find that DAC compatibility and that sound quality are different. This is because the 5vdc feed on the USB output is different. The reason these different options are offered is to enable you to achieve the best sound quality with different DACs.

• One black USB port has no 5vdc present. This is ideal if your DAC does not need the 5vdc to be present, or if you have a dual cable, in which case, connect the digital-signal-only leg to this port.
  • The other black USB port has a dedicated linear regulated 5vdc feed that is designed for use with digital signals through attention to eliminating high frequency noise. If your DAC needs the 5vdc to be present then this will provide the highest quality power feed possible.
  • The blue ports provide the 5vdc feed in a way that is 100% compatible with the USB standard. The USB standard includes a communications carrier signal that is placed on top of the 5vdc feed but very few DACs require this to be present. The communications link is used so that the DAC (or other USB device) can negotiate the voltage and current it requires. Adding this high frequency signal to the 5vdc feed is not ideal as it is like adding high frequency noise to the 5vdc signal. However some DACs require this comms signal to be present. If you find that your DAC does not work on the black ports, but works on the blue ports, then this is a function of your DAC's design. If this concerns you, then we suggest you get a dual USB cable, connect the signal leg to the black 5vdc off port, and the power leg to one of the blue ports.
It is worth repeating that each of the four ports is independently derived so they do not interfere with each other, and each of them receives exactly the same quality of digital audio signal. How the presence of the 5vdc feed affects the audio quality is dependent on your USB cable and the design of the DAC. Which port you need to use for compatibility with your DAC is dependent on the design of the DAC.

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #112 of 296
I’m kinda dumbfounded and awestruck. I’m told that a delay in Cx components paved the way to a complimentary upgrade to a new DX. Okay okay photos and thoughts coming.

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #113 of 296
Whazzzuo

Good on you for getting the free upgrade, wish I got the same level of support form Antipodes for myself.

I paid for the upgrade from DS to Core, then for Core to CX, all perfectly fine and no complaints. Finally last week I received my CX and plugged it in and had issues with it straight away. It wouldn't reboot properly and would go into a loop, then it wouldn't turn off with the front button and I could only do this via the rear switch, and again when booting up had problems. Got in touch with Antipodes and they said there was an issue with some CX's that had a wrong resistor used for the power supply and I had to return the CX to Antipodes NZ for them to fix up (I sent it last week to be fixed and waiting for it to be returned).

All I got was a sorry having to return a brand new CX :disappointed:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #114 of 296
Whazzzuo

Good on you for getting the free upgrade, wish I got the same level of support form Antipodes for myself.

I paid for the upgrade from DS to Core, then for Core to CX, all perfectly fine and no complaints. Finally last week I received my CX and plugged it in and had issues with it straight away. It wouldn't reboot properly and would go into a loop, then it wouldn't turn off with the front button and I could only do this via the rear switch, and again when booting up had problems. Got in touch with Antipodes and they said there was an issue with some CX's that had a wrong resistor used for the power supply and I had to return the CX to Antipodes NZ for them to fix up (I sent it last week to be fixed and waiting for it to be returned).

All I got was a sorry having to return a brand new CX :disappointed:

Wow, bummer. Maybe that’s the shortage that was mentioned and why I got bumped to DX. Well I haven’t got anything yet...hope you get Cx back soon and in working order.

Jul 20, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #115 of 296
Getting ready for DX...Just added a Chord Sarum T Digital super Aray USB, nice. Cables do matter, and Audioquest fire XLR interconnect with TT and GSX MK2 another nice addition, adding some throat down low and some nice detail up high. Frankly Randy Crawford/ Joe Sample is a such a pleasure to listen too, not sure what to expect when DX gets here.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #116 of 296
Jul 21, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #117 of 296
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #118 of 296
So after 50 hours in on my new USB and interconnects the DS GT has stepped up accordingly. The bass is tight with more intense sub. The mids seem not as pitchy with a realism to its definition. Serious I have not been this pleased with the overall rig. Not boasting and compared to what? So don't read into it much but, ***, the system is twerking along nicely. Don't know when or what or how DX is coming and my distributer is on holidays for 2 weeks, so just hang in between golf rounds enjoy the tunes.

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #119 of 296
The monologue continues :smile: heard from Bruno that my DX will be in maybe next week. Bruno is going to take my ds gt, take out my hard drive and install it in the DX. Then tony will remotely format something in the DX to make my library operational in new unit. Then he will drop it off. So direct a/b won’t be possible now, but that’s alright. Recommend antipodes in canada, Bruno who’s also the Nordost rep for any audio needs. Antipodes is a small company and this upgrade program and new model launch has exposed some growing pains, parts shortage etc, but I’m sure with quality gear that I have seen and good people, this will work out for them just fine in due course.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #120 of 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back