Antipodes Audio DX V3 music server roon core, one mans unofficial guide down the rabbit hole.
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #46 of 296
The deal except not hooked up
IMG_4683.jpg

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #47 of 296
Ok new title to this thing. Antipodes Audio DS GT thread in specific as there seems to be some threads about software, different hardware....So why not a place for us Antipodes or those lurking and learning about this concept of desktop streamers roon core servers. After all I threw this question out to the vapour got some inquisitive looks, some don't waste your money, some creative solutions, some really cool value propositions....
But lets be done with it, this player server rocks. Its super cool looking, super quiet and the music, well quite impressive improvement from the noisy iMac. Realize while I'm listening I'm copying and pasting my apple lossless files from iTunes through my network and dropping them on my SSD drive on the GT meanwhile, my iPad pro is showing the tunes dropping ( so is my iMac) via roon remote and I'm finger playing occasional new tunes. Im back in the land of initial amazement, like the first time you listened to fidelity, remember...i just got back that rush.like a jacked up hammer I'm thinking my gosh, why didn't i do this sooner. Well the answer is i needed to learn that the source is the source and source matters.
I admit being an neophyte that does some research, drops the amex and waits for delivery, I don't know if I'm making the best choice, the right choice, or will have regrets. So far head fi has kept the dissonance drawer firmly closed, lucky to stumble down this rabbit hole, happy to dig a little deeper, never burned always happy regardless of what else i should have done.
Im on M's from my library and need to spend some time listening, learning roon, and enjoying this moment.
I will return with more specifics later, but i can recommend antipodes audio as a solution for your dac to receive the bits a bit better.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #48 of 296
wow thats some deep grooves, some clear classical, some great vocals. No sibilance even classic rock is enjoyable, i know classic rock. Fan boy fetish will be turned off soon enough, more analytical thoughts will come. the volume needs to go down a notch with such clear distinct output.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #49 of 296
Going to play golf, darn it, the listening will have to come later for more testing.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #50 of 296
Definitely should give mention to Igor at hi fi centre in Vancouver for all the info, the many email replies, the remote work on my iMac for seamless configuration, and future questions and general handholding. Thouroghly recomend using them for your audiophile needs. disclosure I also use hifiheadphones out of Vancouver for some of my gear as well. Don't know what's going on in Vancouver but funny living in Toronto, van rocks.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #51 of 296
andiran belew phone call from the moon, i can hear each guitar lick the airy detail and note separation. I don't know whats going on anymore, did my chord TT always have this capability, is it just the antipode, i think there is a certain synergy from the complete whole, from Amps, cables and interconnects, usb to hd800S. Or is it just the pod playing games with me. Do i hear faint reverb, or is it hall separation, or is it the way the tune was meant to sound like. Ahmed jamel blue moon has never had the percussion hit and clang like this before, the keyboards sound like keyboards. No wonder folks reach for sonic purity, with this source, or other high end servers you would want better and better dacs, take this friggen beautiful bits and convert them please as pure as a note can be...
rambling but since I'm not expecting much feedback on antipodes thread, might as well be entertaining.

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #52 of 296
Get iTunes off your mac. Out of your pc. do it.
listen to beck morning phase as if it was the very first time. Album of the year, take that kanye

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #53 of 296
get your arse down to your nearest antipode dealer and listen, now I'm sure there are many great servers out there using ssd, but you owe yourself this listen. If this doesn't change your perspective on everything... It has taken the output from my TT and in one way now, dave who cares... frankly dave could scare the bejesus out of me with this input. TT frankly is scaring the bejesus out of me.
Im not looking forward to adaption phase where ho hum, this is what music sounds like same old same old. My brain fortunately is still marvelling at the novelty of whats happening. I know it may sound over the top but no, coming from an iMac lossless files, this is truly remarkable.
I still have one dac, my hpa8 and full mod la900 on jitterbug through my mac, i don't want to go back and a/b...one day i will, but i can't bring myself to do it, ah ah no way.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #54 of 296
Command alt F to get out of full screen on roon. That took me a few minutes. Hitting escape does nothing. Roons ui, is something else, I can see why iTunes gets dissed as clumsy.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #55 of 296
Question is, will an Aries feeding a Hugo II sound better than a DAP?

I'm currently using Fiio X5 and iBasso DX90 via coax to Hugo I. Have used both Daps to a Hugo II (show) and Hugo TT (loan for review). Would a server or streamer offer improved sound quality?

Love to hear from someone who has an Aries, or Naim streamer who also has compared with a DAP into the same DAC.
The answer is yes to antipodes

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #56 of 296
well, fortunately the weather sucks where i live so it doesn't matter that i can't leave my listening station. My wife now is making fun of the effects of me sitting refusing to move, only leaving to shower, shave, sh%t and eat. So i started a push up and sit up routine, golf as much as the weather permits, then bee line back to slap some headphones on.
G D this antipode I'm elated and doomed at the same time. course its just one piece of the rig, but crickey. Am i alone in this? are there antipodes out there in head fi?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #57 of 296
Antipodes_sparkling_1024x1024.gif

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #58 of 296
well one week in. Still impressed although adaption is occurring slowly, i still get a wow almost every tune. Kicking back with daft punk random access memories. Like the fact that roon marks every album as "new" so easy to see what you have listened too. As well as the songs within the album. Then the wealth of info concerning the artist and the album.
The sound well, its clear, definitive, pretty much what the artist intended but somehow you just know most won't hear this level of note definition and impact.
Could see why folks would want DSD or other higher bit rate tunes, but I'm about volume of tunes for value and the quality is now at a level that seems about right, so staying the course.
The antipodes just keep doing its job, i have not bothered to turn off since purchase, the rep said its unnecessary. Course i still turn off my amp occasionally cause it generates heat and my dac as chord stated it doesn't hurt to turn it off.
Well would like to hear from any fellow "podes" out there or from other desktop player posters if you like about anything, cheers.
wow some deep grooves again, on motherboard, daft punk

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #59 of 296
Ok so now I'm screwed. my hpa 8 through my iMac into la900 just won't cut mustard. so i have to use la900 exclusively through Chord hugo TT to utilize the antipode roon core sans gsx mk2 direct. So i guess my hpa8 which i sentimentally loved will have to be sold. The unfortunate side effects of the antipode, i did see that coming. i mean i could manually change the usb, but jeez what a hassle reaching behind and all, lol.. yup the iMac is over, wonder what my hpa8 is worth....750 usd maybe..?yup just a/b iMac is over....

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #60 of 296
Well well well. A wrinkle seems to have occurred. Possibly the Ds GT network card wonked out. My rep igor is on it with antipod customer service. I hesitate without direct answers what my next step is. Confidence is shaken, but I want that sound back. See what happens. iTunes<roon on iMac<antipode ds GT roon core. Cost is crazy and value cannot be in this equation, I guess this gives me time to ponder what's next. A new unit, an ra #, a service is not an option, and I will be surprised a remote fix is applicable. Stay tuned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back